• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowl-off, or Eliminator over for 20/20 ties.

Bowl-off or Eliminator Over

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unless it's a tournament surely a tie being a tie isn't the worst idea? Each draw in football doesn't necessarily lead to a penalty shoot-out.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Each draw in football doesn't necessarily lead to a penalty shoot-out.
It does (or it did) in the MLS as those crafty Americans can't stand draws.

Anyway, I think the best situation to decide the winner in the event of level scores is to have a custard pie fight. Last man standing not covered in custardy loveliness wins, and thus his team is declared the winner.

Think of the stats that could be generated on this! Hit Percentage, Dodge Factor, First Chance Average... The list goes on!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowl out for me. Super over adds far too much complexity and the real contest should end with the final ball rather than this mini contest.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It does (or it did) in the MLS as those crafty Americans can't stand draws.

Anyway, I think the best situation to decide the winner in the event of level scores is to have a custard pie fight. Last man standing not covered in custardy loveliness wins, and thus his team is declared the winner.

Think of the stats that could be generated on this! Hit Percentage, Dodge Factor, First Chance Average... The list goes on!
I'm all for ties in women's cricket if it involves creaming contests at the end :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
6 hitting contest.

Ball must bounce and in the batsmans half.

A bowler bowls 6 balls to a teammate. The other team does the same. The batsman that his the most 6s wins.

If it is tied then it goes to sudden death.

More interesting than a bowl out. Half way between a penalty shoot out and a homerun contest.

pup11

International Coach
I am with James on this one, i think if a limited overs game gets tied it should remain a tie (because i am pretty sure ICC at some point might introduce bowl-out or superover in ODI cricket too), so unless its no a knock-out game then the bowl-out or superover shouldn't be used in case of a tie.

Bowl-outs as many already mentioned are easier to follow as compared to the superover, but i don't really see how bowl-outs really have anything to do with cricket skills, as it really doesn't require much cricket skill to knock over three unguarded stumps and decided the result of a game on the basis of that is a bit unfair (though its funny that still a lot of people miss the stumps, but that's more due to the fact that they don't practice bowl-outs) so in terms of a game' fate being decided on the basis of cricket skills the superover is a better choice.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I would go for bowl outs the reason is its one ball each for 6 players .. thats why some miss ..even good bowlers cant get it on target first ball. i also would move this event at the start of all games .. this gives the umpire plus the teams to determine the bounce of the pitch etc... which ever team wins the bowl out then decides whether to bat or bowl.. in the case of a tied game the result win goes to the team that won the bowl out..

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Voted leave it as a tie. But if something had to be done eliminator overs would be the way to go, just don't call it super overs FFS.