• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Composite XI's and hypothetical match-ups ...

bryce

International Regular
Haha:laugh:
There is actually lol(forgot him somehow :wallbash: Would straight swap him with Katich

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Northern Hemisphere XI

1) Sehwag
2) Gambhir
3) Sangakkara
4) Pietersen
5) Tendulkar
6) Chanderpaul
7) Dhoni * +
8) Flintoff
9) Ahktar
10) Zaheer Khan
11) Muralitharan

Southern Hemisphere XI

1) Smith*
2) Katich
3) Ponting
4) Kallis
5) Hussey
6) de Villiers
7) Haddin+
8) Vettori
9) Johnson
10) AN Other
11) Steyn

Lee, O'Brien & Ntini all have fairly decent cases for the third seamer's spot. 12 months ago BLee would've been a banker, but no more.

Would take the NH fairly comfortably tho.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Northern Hemisphere XI

1) Sehwag
2) Gambhir
3) Sangakkara
4) Pietersen
5) Tendulkar
6) Chanderpaul
7) Dhoni * +
8) Flintoff
9) Ahktar
10) Zaheer Khan
11) Muralitharan

Southern Hemisphere XI

1) Smith*
2) Katich
3) Ponting
4) Kallis
5) Hussey
6) de Villiers
7) Haddin+
8) Vettori
9) Johnson
10) AN Other
11) Steyn

Lee, O'Brien & Ntini all have fairly decent cases for the third seamer's spot. 12 months ago BLee would've been a banker, but no more.

Would take the NH fairly comfortably tho.
I'd still probably take Lee & might flirt with the idea of having Oram or Symonds instead of De Villiers at 6 if you wanted the extra bowling option.

Also, I'm not convinced that NH would win comfortably at all. If anything SH may have a slight edge in the bowling.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm..

Pakistan of the 90s VS India 2000s

PAKISTAN

Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Ijaz Ahmed
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mohammad Yousuf/Asif Mujtuba
Saleem Malik
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar
Waqar Younis

INDIA

Virender Sehwag
Guatum Gambhir
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Sourav Ganguly
Mahendra Dhoni
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma

Now thats the kind of IND/PAK clash i'm talking about. These ones in this 2000s era (expect for the excitement the 2004 series had) really have been average compared to those two engrosing test in 99 & the Calcutta ATC match.

Evermind

International Debutant
Hmm..

Pakistan of the 90s VS India 2000s

PAKISTAN

Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Ijaz Ahmed
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mohammad Yousuf/Asif Mujtuba
Saleem Malik
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar
Waqar Younis

INDIA

Virender Sehwag
Guatum Gambhir
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Sourav Ganguly
Mahendra Dhoni
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma

Now thats the kind of IND/PAK clash i'm talking about. These ones in this 2000s era (expect for the excitement the 2004 series had) really have been average compared to those two engrosing test in 99 & the Calcutta ATC match.
That India team beats the Pak team flat. Maybe if you had a best-ever-players compilation...

Beleg

International Regular
That India team beats the Pak team flat. Maybe if you had a best-ever-players compilation...
A Pakistani team from the 90's composed of,

Sohail
Anwar
Yousuf
Inzamam
Miandad
Malik (the guy averaged over 45 in the era)
Moin
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain
Shoaib

will beat the 2000 Indians pretty easily, IMO. The bowling is ridiculous. Even if we are talking at all the players at their absolute best, the Pakistani team beats the Indian one man-to-man.

Sohail << Sehwag
Anwar >> Gambhir
Yousuf << Dravid
Inzamam < Tendulkar
Miandad >> Laxman
Malik >> Ganguly (the guy averaged 46 in the 90's)
Moin < Dhoni
Wasim >> Kumble
Waqar >>> Harbajhan
Saqlain > Zaheer
Akhtar >> Sharma

That's at least six clear-cut better players. And Malik's performance in the 90's was phenomenal. (his lowest averages are against the three weakest teams of the era)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd still probably take Lee & might flirt with the idea of having Oram or Symonds instead of De Villiers at 6 if you wanted the extra bowling option.

Also, I'm not convinced that NH would win comfortably at all. If anything SH may have a slight edge in the bowling.
Opinions are great, aren't they? :p

Seriously tho, Steyn might make the NHXI (although ahead of whom, I'm not sure), but couldn't see any others seriously contesting selection.

Obviously a purely hypothetical thread, but I thought it would be interesting to look at and get opinion on combined sides and match-ups.

To start with, I'd like to get thoughts on a hypothetical Test series between a current composite England/NZ Vs composite SL/WI, firstly your combined teams & then the likely outcome. Lets assume its a 3 test series played at Perth, Sydney & Adelaide.
Does this thread makes any sense? Everyday is a different day in Cricket fields. On a given day any team can beat any other. I am astonished to see such a thread.:-O :-O

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This could be a sweet wish or dream of a biased Indian suffered from Mumbai attacks. It is far far away from the reality. I was also amazed to see there is no Grat Imran Khan in the side. The Great Khan is himself a comlete team in himself. I think only he is enough for any Indian side. Its not me, the record says.

Evermind

International Debutant
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This could be a sweet wish or dream of a biased Indian suffered from Mumbai attacks. It is far far away from the reality. I was also amazed to see there is no Grat Imran Khan in the side. The Great Khan is himself a comlete team in himself. I think only he is enough for any Indian side. Its not me, the record says.
Where do the Mumbai attacks come into this?

Anyway, as I said, if you're talking best-ever players compilation, I'd give it to Pak, possibly, though you never know how much chucking and fixing would happen along the way. I agree that Imran Khan is a team in himself.

Where do the Mumbai attacks come into this?

Anyway, as I said, if you're talking best-ever players compilation, I'd give it to Pak, possibly, though you never know how much chucking and fixing would happen along the way. I agree that Imran Khan is a team in himself.
My question is, can you make any best ever Pakistan-11 without the Great Imran Khan?

Evermind

International Debutant
I just wonder to see the way people under rate Kapil Dev and Javagal Sri Nath. Sri Nath was a really good fast bowler, He was the best indian swing bowler. He improved a lot over the years.
Maybe for India he was a decent pacer, but compared to the rest of the world he was pretty mediocre. Only in the 2000s have India finally acquired a decent pace attack - and it's showing in their results. This is a team that used to open bowling with Ganguly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies v Australia period pains XI

West Indies

1. Greenidge
2. Haynes
3. Richards
4. Richardson
5. Kallicharran
6. LLoyd
7. Dujon
8. Marshall