• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Defeated after declaring

i would support the Pieterson's declaration decision in the recent series. He was 1-0 down, so no option was left for him. he is a daring captain.

Xuhaib

International Coach
He had to because of the rain. South Africa would have batted Aus out of the game if not for the day 4 downpour...

Oh yeah forgot that.

Not a declaration but Waugh's decision to make India follow on at Kolkatta 2001 is probably one decision that a captain would have regretted the most also Ponting decision to bowl first at Edbaston 05 must be right up there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't think any blame can be attached to Fat Gray; he made a bold gambit in an attempt to win the series. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and all that.

Interesting to see that our closure in Adelaide in 06/07 was the highest first innings declaration from where a game has been lost. Is it the highest ever first innings score from a defeated side generally too?

Evermind

International Debutant
Haha, it is interesting but leaving aside statistical nit picking, Chennai test does not fit the criteria. England were already 311/9 and last batsman to come was Monty Panesar. India won the test with 6 wickets in hand and plenty of overs left.
England obviously missed out on a MSP half-century (you can take it for granted with him at the crease). The man is a legend.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always wondered what the deal was with Sobers' declaration vs. England. Did he ever actually reveal why he did that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I read somewhere that it was frustration at England's go-slow tactics (ie, slow over-rate), which seems bizarre TSTL. Not surprisingly there's just the one place I've read that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not a declaration but Waugh's decision to make India follow on at Kolkatta 2001 is probably one decision that a captain would have regretted the most also Ponting decision to bowl first at Edbaston 05 must be right up there.
There'll be hundreds but Waugh's follow-on at Eden Gardens wasn't an error and I doubt anyone would've acted differently. It was the only decision that made sense and no-one should think any lesser of Waugh for it. Australia were beaten that game because Laxman and Dravid produced one of the greatest partnerships in history, not because they enforced the follow-on.

Ponting's decision to field first at Edgbaston in '05, though, rather like Dravid's at Wankhede in '05/06 against the same opposition, smacked of complacency and was undoubtedly a mistake that many would have done differently.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I always wondered what the deal was with Sobers' declaration vs. England. Did he ever actually reveal why he did that?
I've just started reading the latest Clive Lloyd biography and according to Lloyd Sobers did it out of annoyance at England's negative tactics throughout the earlier Tests. He didn't throw the match but he was willing to risk defeat to give his team a chance of winning - the exact opposite of England's safety first approach.

archie mac

International Coach
I've just started reading the latest Clive Lloyd biography and according to Lloyd Sobers did it out of annoyance at England's negative tactics throughout the earlier Tests. He didn't throw the match but he was willing to risk defeat to give his team a chance of winning - the exact opposite of England's safety first approach.
The WI manager (I know it was a former Test cricketer) said to Sobers 'it only takes 10 good deliveries'