• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pleased with Ramdin's little knock. That's the best he's looked since his tour of Australia in his debut year. Nash also looking a very good acquisition. Patience, decent technique, and grit that's far more Australian than West Indian. Could do a job opening the batting. He was once an opener, after all.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Game well poised now. Technically, I suppose the WI have a slight edge, but having to bat last may prove to be a big factor. Very much a proper game of test cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pleased with Ramdin's little knock. That's the best he's looked since his tour of Australia in his debut year. Nash also looking a very good acquisition. Patience, decent technique, and grit that's far more Australian than West Indian. Could do a job opening the batting. He was once an opener, after all.
First time I've seen Nash. I like the look of him. Well-organised, nuggety and had enough impudence about him to back cut a couple of Fred's bouncers over the slips and down to third man for four. So much for the perceived weakness to short stuff.

Touch of the Graham Thorpe's about him? Possibly just my imagination because he's a short, swarthy southpaw.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hoggard would be doing a better job than any of them most probably because he can bowl cutters.
Yeah that was my point, I still find it pretty shocking the way he was dumped by England. If the same Harmison had been subject to the same treatment then he probably wouldn't have played a test since in a couple of years.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Yeah, had his best years opening for queensland I believe, and you'd think that's where he'd have to go to stay in the team when Bravo comes in.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Told you he started his career as a batsmen who could keep, the man has always had talent, desperately disappointed he couldn't get a half century but at least he is starting to earn his keep, kept well first couple days too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
People going too far saying Jimmy is like Harmison. Jimmy can have one below par game and be out of the side for a year. Harmison has to be piss poor for about 6 months before anyone questions his place.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Told you he started his career as a batsmen who could keep, the man has always had talent, desperately disappointed he couldn't get a half century but at least he is starting to earn his keep, kept well first couple days too.
How does this prove that he started his career as a batsman? To my knowledge, having followed his career as closely as possible before he debuted for West Indies at any level, he was practically always a wicketkeeper-batsman. I know the man can bat. I've mentioned several times that he has a fantastic record at school and age level in Trinidad and for the West Indies. That doesn't change the fact that he's been a gloveman for long enough not to be considered a "batsman who keeps". That's the same as calling Flintoff a "batsman who bowls". It's just not right.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
How does this prove that he started his career as a batsman? To my knowledge, having followed his career as closely as possible before he debuted for West Indies at any level, he was practically always a wicketkeeper-batsman. I know the man can bat. I've mentioned several times that he has a fantastic record at school and age level in Trinidad and for the West Indies. That doesn't change the fact that he's been a gloveman for long enough not to be considered a "batsman who keeps". That's the same as calling Flintoff a "batsman who bowls". It's just not right.
Thought you'd say that and it doesn't prove it, I was being a bit stupid but I'm gonna find his U19 record and thus prove his batting prowess.... I'll be black,

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah, had his best years opening for queensland I believe, and you'd think that's where he'd have to go to stay in the team when Bravo comes in.
I think his bating position is perfect for us to be honest, just like he's proving now when we need someone steady in the middle order who can stay at the stump and create a partnership he's the man, he was also class against NZ for the most part and has the ability to get us out of trouble when Gayle and Sarwan have one of those "erratic days", it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens when Bravo comes back, we'll be even stronger and i believe the sooner Darren Bravo and Adrian Bareth are involved the better we will be, both have brilliant potential and i'd have them in place of Smith and Marshall in all honesty.

Bareth
Gayle
Sarwan
lil Bravo
Chanders
big Bravo
Nash
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn
Edwards

Is a damn impressive batting line-up imo, it has the potential to be one of the best we've had in a long time, i'm so delighted that we've finally started to look like a decent side again, i must admit when i saw the line-up i was sure we'd get a beating but so far so good, Benn has also been very impressive and i'm glad for him because he's taken a lot of stick since he came through.

COME ON WI!!

Jigga988

State 12th Man
K, so I suck at looking things up and can't for the life of me find his U19 record, though granted it was a half-hearted attempt, as I was attempting to complete some french coursework with it... c'etait tres difficile.

Anyhoo... the guy was a batsmen who could keep a bit, that much was evident in U19 level, and was even evident in early stages of career, as you said he made some good scores, but also made way more errors than he does now behind the stumps, series' in in India and Pakistan before the World cup come to mind. It was after this series he seriously worked on his keeping and neglected batting which is why he has turned in to a proper keeper who's batting is poor.

Last edited:

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Bareth
Gayle
Sarwan
lil Bravo
Chanders
big Bravo
Nash
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn
Edwards

COME ON WI!!
Bowling is weak, more of a team for the future, does look formidable though, the trini boys are doing nicely... hopefully by that time we'll have a decent quickie too, maybe Roach will learn to get some accuracy...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
People going too far saying Jimmy is like Harmison. Jimmy can have one below par game and be out of the side for a year. Harmison has to be piss poor for about 6 months before anyone questions his place.
Fair enough. I've not yet given up on Jimmy, and I'd dearly love him to become the bowler that he sometimes seems capable of being - which is to say, just about the best pace bowler in the world

Mr Mxyzptlk

K, so I suck at looking things up and can't for the life of me find his U19 record, though granted it was a half-hearted attempt, as I was attempting to complete some french coursework with it... c'etait tres difficile.

Anyhoo... the guy was a batsmen who could keep a bit, that much was evident in U19 level, and was even evident in early stages of career, as you said he made some good scores, but also made way more errors than he does now behind the stumps, series' in in India and Pakistan before the World cup come to mind. It was after this series he seriously worked on his keeping and neglected batting which is why he has turned in to a proper keeper who's batting is poor.
The fact that Ramdin has been keeping wicket since practically the start of his serious cricket career qualifies him as a wicketkeeper-batsman. And scorecards are not going to prove that he was a poor 'keeper. When he debuted for West Indies it was, rightly, with a good reputation with gloves and bat.

And I don't need any convincing about Ramdin's batting ability. I've been talking about it since before you arrived on CW. I'm not trying to state any seniority, but rather assuring you that I'm well versed in Ramdin's career.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Bowling is weak, more of a team for the future, does look formidable though, the trini boys are doing nicely... hopefully by that time we'll have a decent quickie too, maybe Roach will learn to get some accuracy...
Who's weak in the bowling line-up?, i'd say Taylor and Bravo are top class, Edwards on his day is fantastic too, maybe it's too soon to judge Benn but i think he was decent towards the end in the 20/20 games in NZ and he's carried on that form into this series, if he keeps that form then the spin department looks very good with Gayle alongside him. how would you change the bowling line-up?, because i wouldn't mess with the batting line-up down to Ramdin, i think it has the potential to be excellent.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Fair enough. I've not yet given up on Jimmy, and I'd dearly love him to become the bowler that he sometimes seems capable of being - which is to say, just about the best pace bowler in the world
he is just about the best pace bowler in the World in one condition and even then he is hit and miss... think he'll always be expensive unless he learns to do what Hoggard did well throughout his career and what Sidebottom did really well today and when it's not swinging bowl lione and length, don't think he's developed yet and until he does that no point bringing him in to the side.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Who's weak in the bowling line-up?, i'd say Taylor and Bravo are top class, Edwards on his day is fantastic too, maybe it's too soon to judge Benn but i think he was decent towards the end in the 20/20 games in NZ and he's carried on that form into this series, if he keeps that form then the spin department looks very good with Gayle alongside him. how would you change the bowling line-up?, because i wouldn't mess with the batting line-up down to Ramdin, i think it has the potential to be excellent.
Just restricting my comments to Bravo, I think that to describe him as "top class" as a bowler is a little on the optimistic side. He averages nearly 40 in Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

he is just about the best pace bowler in the World in one condition and even then he is hit and miss... think he'll always be expensive unless he learns to do what Hoggard did well throughout his career and what Sidebottom did really well today and when it's not swinging bowl lione and length, don't think he's developed yet and until he does that no point bringing him in to the side.
If you watched him last summer you'd have seen a lot of the improvements you're outlining in that post. In Tests, not ODIs. He worked hard and was pretty impressive in 2008, rarely encountering swinging conditions too.