• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gautam Gambhir

susudear

Banned
They GG guy has crossed the magic average of 50 and appears to bne the long term deal.

He had a superb seies againt Aus. :laugh:

Now he's getting the wits out of England. :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They GG guy has crossed the magic average of 50 and appears to bne the long term deal.

He had a superb seies againt Aus. :laugh:

Now he's getting the wits out of England. :laugh:
To translate:

Gautam Ghambir has played very well recently and is now past the magical mark of a fifty average. Is he possibly the real deal?

He batted very well against Australia, and now is doing the business against England. What are your thoughts?

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why do you use the :laugh: over again? It makes your posts seem pointless when you put it there for no reason at all like in this post.

Anyway. Onto the subject, Gambhir is looking to be a very solid player. He's playing amazingly. I look forward to see where his career takes him over the next few years

Just checked out his stats for this year and he has an average of 70 with the Tons and he just missed out on his Forth now.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think he's got the capabilities to be a pretty good opener, and he's a good foil for Sehwag. Not overly negative, but provides impetus up the other end whilst Viru provides fireworks.

Obviously, the big test will be doing the same overseas; which he has shown some ability to do in ODIs.

krkode

State Captain
Oddly, enough, by getting out Gambhir's averaged has dipped below 50. :p

But he's certainly had a phenomenal year. Before the Aus series at home, he was averaging 37... in the course of 5 games, it is now at 49. Which is obviously easier when you've only played 22 matches, but an impressive last few games nonetheless.

susudear

Banned
I think...

... he shud be icccricketer of year.

though i think grame smith has too good case if he continues to be good in australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gambhir looks like he might well be the first Test-class Indian opener who's actually an opener (as opposed to a converted middle-order batsman like Sehwag) we've seen since Navjot Sidhu. Could possibly even be better than Sidhu but since starting to score runs (ie, in SL earlier this year) he's yet to play outside the subcontinent, which is generally the biggest test for an Indian opener. I never remotely rated Gambhir until recently and I'll wait until he plays outside the subcontinent before deciding whether that's changed enormously. I certainly think it perfectly well could though.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah its been a great year for Gambhir, did well in the CB series in Australia and since then has just been scoring heavily in every form of the game, very good addition to the Indian side, he seems to have good head on his shoulders pretty evident from the fact the fact that how well he adapts to different situations of the game well and also his hunger for runs is amazing, though as Richard said his real test would be on overseas tours.

masterblaster

International Captain
Gambhir = Awesome

One of my favourite Indian players. I've always been convinced of his ability for years and have always wondered why India never picked him previously. Although I'm glad they've picked him now and not a few years ago because he's matured into a fantastic cricketer and seems to be at the top of his game. He has all the shots in the book and is equally good against pace and spin bowling. Fantastic batsman to watch in full flight as well.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When Gambhir makes runs it's a bit scary...cause he looks like he'll never bloody get out. Him and Sehwag will probably be the best opening partnership for a while.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doesn't give away too many starts nowadays, which is very promising.

Great name as well.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's just hope the Indians keep him for a long time, unlike in the past, with other openers.

R_D

International Debutant
Doesn't give away too many starts nowadays, which is very promising.

Great name as well.
lives upto his name... " Gambhir" means serious in hindi... He's obviously quite serious about his run scoring :)

He's been great hope it continues..... India having a nice long break now.. players could do with some rest after constant cricket for past year and half. Hopefully they are still able to maintain the momentum thou.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Gambhir = Awesome

One of my favourite Indian players. I've always been convinced of his ability for years and have always wondered why India never picked him previously. Although I'm glad they've picked him now and not a few years ago because he's matured into a fantastic cricketer and seems to be at the top of his game. He has all the shots in the book and is equally good against pace and spin bowling. Fantastic batsman to watch in full flight as well.
Agree with it absolutely. He is my favourite cricketer in 2008 and he plays shots all around the wicket. He was also able to handle spinners well (read mendis and murali).Very impressed with his batting and have woken up in nights few times this year to watch his batting alone. Never a dull moment with him in tests ,one dayers and T20's,when he bats.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Let him perform outside the subcontinent and judge, no reason why he cant do well like he has performed in India. But his real test will be the tests in NZ, if they prepare wickets like they did last time when India toured there in 2003.

Evermind

International Debutant
lives upto his name... " Gambhir" means serious in hindi... He's obviously quite serious about his run scoring :)
More serious than "serious" actually.

More like "grave" - in a distinctly negative sense. Like a "grave" injury or a "grave" situation.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Let him perform outside the subcontinent and judge, no reason why he cant do well like he has performed in India. But his real test will be the tests in NZ, if they prepare wickets like they did last time when India toured there in 2003.
And why should that be the criteria for success ? Even someone like Tendulkar had tough time staying on those wickets.