• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori vs Richard Hadlee (batting)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sir Hadlee, easily.
Not so sure about easily bud :ph34r: Pretty even for mine, although Vettori has been averaging around 40 in the last 4-5 years whereas Hadlee averaged just over 30 in the second-half of his career. So in test matches, Vettori by a whisker.

In ODI's, I'd take Hadlee. His SR of 75 was better at the time than Vettori's 79 is & he had a better average.

Overall FC, Test & One dayers, I'd take Sir Dick

illmatic

Cricket Spectator
vettori will end up wit battin average of 30+ in test by the time he finishes
and hopefully 20+ in one dayers

i go wit vettori.. tho hadlee does have better stats for onedayers.. and i havent really seen him bat either so its hard to choose him

Zinzan

Glad this got dug because I missed this before. Interesting viewing.

Seems like a good, upright batsman with lots of shots but not much foot movement. Mitchell Johnson seems pretty similar, actually.
Indeed, I'm glad you had a chance to view it tbh as many folks don't realize what a natural striker of the ball he was, a real shame he didn't take his batting more seriously. Having said that, he wasn't the worst bowler around

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, I'm glad you had a chance to view it tbh as many folks don't realize what a natural striker of the ball he was, a real shame he didn't take his batting more seriously. Having said that, he wasn't the worst bowler around
Good clip, thanks for posting it. I'd suggest people who think that Vettori is the better batsman of the two should watch this - because this sort of batting is way out of DV's league.

Zinzan

Good clip, thanks for posting it. I'd suggest people who think that Vettori is the better batsman of the two should watch this - because this sort of batting is way out of DV's league.
Your very welcome :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your inability to tell the difference between a post that's pretty obviously in jest and one that isn't baffles me far more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about the majority, but there's certainly no shortage of those that would.

Nonetheless, I'm astounded anyone could possibly miss it on the above occasion.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Love listening to Richie in his prime.

Would've been very tough to bowl to in form, the way that he have himself room through the offside, but bowl straight and he was so strong through the leg. Actually reminded me quite a bit of Warner.

Zinzan

Love listening to Richie in his prime.

Would've been very tough to bowl to in form, the way that he have himself room through the offside, but bowl straight and he was so strong through the leg. Actually reminded me quite a bit of Warner.
Benaud was in particularly good form in that clip

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that we are comparing Hadlee's batting with Vettori's shows that there is a lot of merit in the argument that Hadlee fell far short of the batting capabilities of his three illustrious contemporaries - Botham, Kapil and Imran.

thierry henry

International Coach
Vettori is a serious batsman. He started his career with no batting pretensions and developed to the point where he has averaged near enough 40 for a long period and has taken on an air of dependability when he comes to the crease in a crisis.

His career numbers sell him short as far as evaluating the batsman he has been for the last 5 or so years.

Hadlee also improved his batting output over time, but not by as much.

Vettori as a test match batsman from about 2003/04 onwards> Hadlee, ever.

I don't understand people's discomfort with the comparison, except to put it down to the "last 10 years cringe" syndrome where people aren't sure if they're allowed to take current players seriously or not.

Flem274*

123/5
Vettori is a serious batsman. He started his career with no batting pretensions and developed to the point where he has averaged near enough 40 for a long period and has taken on an air of dependability when he comes to the crease in a crisis.

His career numbers sell him short as far as evaluating the batsman he has been for the last 5 or so years.

Hadlee also improved his batting output over time, but not by as much.

Vettori as a test match batsman from about 2003/04 onwards> Hadlee, ever.

I don't understand people's discomfort with the comparison, except to put it down to the "last 10 years cringe" syndrome where people aren't sure if they're allowed to take current players seriously or not.
Might also be due to the fact that no one questions Sir Richard Hadlee's talent, bat or ball.

thierry henry

International Coach
Might also be due to the fact that no one questions Sir Richard Hadlee's talent, bat or ball.
?

Don't get your point

I wouldn't question either Vettori or Hadlee's talent with the bat. Vettori at his "prolonged peak" is better than any prolonged peak that Hadlee had though.