• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowd Trouble

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I watched last nights ODI between England and Pakistan and have to say that I wasn't impressed with the behaviour of the visiting supporters. Is it me or does the only trouble we ever seem to have at cricket matches, occur when we play Pakistan? I cant remember any trouble when we play anyone else, India made as much noise but there was no trouble as I remember. Why did they all need to run on the pitch at the end of the game? I was at the Stadium of Light when all the trouble happened between England and Turkey.Now it seems to be one rule for one and one for another. I'm not condoning what went on at Sunderland, frankly i've never been so pleased to be English, if i was a Turkish fan at that match i'd have been scared as hell. But the point is England copped a Uefa fine for having so many fans on the pitch when we scored and many of them were photographed and handed over to police custody. Has anyone heard of this happening to the 'fans' who ran on last night because I haven't. Will any action be taken, well again I doubt it. If we're going to make running on the pitch after the game an offence and cut down the potential for crowd trouble action has to be taken. It is possible to passionately support your team without taking it to far. The last thing we want is like what happens in the sub-continent (WI v India springs to mind when they had to go off because of problems), and trouble getting out of hand. Hopefully the security men at the Oval will be more clued up than those at Old Trafford last night.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was about to write something along these lines.

[Rant]

It's not as if they hadn't been explicity told several times before that they were not to go on the pitch whatever happened. I can remember the 2001 NatWest games being disrupted by morons running on the pitch before it was over.

There's nothing wrong with passionately supporting your side - and we're all guilty of that - but cricket does not need the brain-dead idiots like this. I don't care what their reasoning is, when they have been told they don't go on the pitch, they don't go on the pitch. They deserve life bans from International cricket in this country.

[/Rant]

Not happy.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have no objection to supporters celebrating their team's success, but I too am very concerned with the mindless invasions which are seen as an essential part of post-game exuberance.

The parallel with football (the Turkey game) is quite reasonable to a certain extent, because that too (the goal celebration) was mostly over-enthusiasm.

Where the difference lies, though, is the undercurrent of stereotypical racial hatred which was so prevalent at the football game (as usual) - and most cricket fans, for the most part are above that kind of nonsense.

Remember that fences at English soccer games became the norm in the 1970's and 80's because the pitch was seen as a place for punch-ups (thankfully still relatively unknown in cricket) - and were only torn down after the Hillsborough disaster.

A few arrests and resultant trespass prosecutions just might prevent cricket going down the same slippery slope.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From my point of view, sat in the stands - we had English and Pakistani's next to each other discussing the game and having a great time.

Fortunately we left after Sami smacked the 4 to bring it down to 2 to win, so that we didn't have to spend 3 hours trying to get on a tram, so didn't witness the invasion, but when I read of it when we got in last night, I was surprised bearing in mind all the warnings given over the PA, and the jovial atmosphere for the first 99 overs!

Bazza

International 12th Man
It should be pointed out that the Twenty20 game between Worcestershire and Warwickshire at New Road which was televised on Sky yesterday the crown ran on at the end, and in fact in today's game they ran on after the first innings. Charles Colville had to abandon an interview with Warren Hegg because loads of kids were just shouting and trying to get their face on camera.

This shouldn't be a problem tomorrow. Apparently there will be a ring of stewards around the boundary - three times as many as were at OT.

chris.hinton

International Captain
in 2001 the Pakistanis did it, and now they are doing it again. I would give them one more chance if they do it Tonight then Pakistan should have a 5 year ban from Cricket in this Country? or am i being harsh?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
in 2001 the Pakistanis did it, and now they are doing it again. I would give them one more chance if they do it Tonight then Pakistan should have a 5 year ban from Cricket in this Country? or am i being harsh?
Yes, I think you are. As has already been said, it even happened at Worcester the other day (English kids). Ban Worcestershire?

If it is an orchestrated problem, you have to root out the ringleaders. I don't think this is the case - I certainly think that a ban for the team would be wrong.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
luckyeddie said:
Yes, I think you are. As has already been said, it even happened at Worcester the other day (English kids). Ban Worcestershire?
Isn't it allowed in the Twenty20 games? Nicholas was saying during the Glos-Worcs game that it was good how kids could go out on the greensward (he didnt use that term) and play.

But yeah, ban Worcestershire. They also obviously have useless coaches and physios to have so many injuries.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funnily enough, the topic came up for discussion in Tuffers' program tonight (I am becoming a HUGE fan) - and he was saying a similar thing re twenty20.

He was also saying that when he was playing for England, they looked upon the end of game invasion as 'a bit of fun' - and the players did not feel intimidated.

I confess to being a little surprised.

Saying that, though, whenever I went to tests and ODIs at Trent Bridge, we always used to 'invade' to get a decent place to watch the presentations - and that's going back 30 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I remember "invading" at the Derby vs Lancashire final of 199x - I'm sure LE remembers the exact year (where Wasim and Adams had a fight during the lunch interval)

Closest I'll ever get to playing at Lords.

Seriously though, I get the impression that these invasions are a lot more hostile than they were when I was a lad...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I remember "invading" at the Derby vs Lancashire final of 199x - I'm sure LE remembers the exact year (where Wasim and Adams had a fight during the lunch interval)

Closest I'll ever get to playing at Lords.

Seriously though, I get the impression that these invasions are a lot more hostile than they were when I was a lad...
One of the best days of my life - the 1993 B&H final.
We were about 50-4 whin in strides the boy, Corky. Proceeded to thrash the bowling all over the field. He scored 92*, I reckon.
Other heroes were Tim O'Gorman, Frankie Griffith (bowled the last over).

One of the worst days of my life - 1998 (all out for 108 and batting in the dark) - NatWest. Game went over to a second day. I've tried to expunge the events from my memory, but now they all come flooding back. Stop, it hurts.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
One of the best days of my life - the 1993 B&H final.
I remember it was a long time ago, but hadn't realised it was THAT long ago.

Does that mean you were only 40 then?