• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you expect a a Kim Hughes-style meltdown if...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has any Aus skipper be removed from the job since Kim hughes?
Depends what you mean removed. Hughes wasn't actually officially sacked, and was even given another couple of games to attempt to rediscover his scoring, though sadly he didn't manage it and elected for Rebel tours instead.

Nor were Border, Taylor or Stephen Waugh officially sacked but there's been claims that both Border and Stephen Waugh (less sure about Taylor) would've preferred to play for longer than they did but were told they wouldn't get the chance, despite the fact Border's scoring had not really deteriorated at all. So thus they elected to retire on their own terms.

The last Australian captain to be actually officially removed by the board was Bill Lawry in 1970/71 - excluding Greg Chappell who lost the captaincy and his place due to the Packer schism, temporarily.

And no, I don't expect Ponting to do a tearful-press-conference-style Hughes resignation, even if SA beat them at The MCG - which is far from something anyone should be taking for granted and I won't be counting any chickens until that game's been played.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The last Aussie captain to be sacked was Graham Yallop and he's been very scathing over the years about how it was handled.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yallop was only captain ITFP because of Kerry Packer's intervention though, and things which happened during the Packer Schism are clearly different from the norm.

Craig

World Traveller
There is about as much chance of Ricky Ponting not playing in Sydney (injury or unfortunate accident aside) as there is of me rooting Miranda Kerr.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Ponting didn't hav ea melt down in India or in England in 05, he's not gonna meltdown and resign now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Ponting didn't hav ea melt down in India or in England in 05, he's not gonna meltdown and resign now.
Meltdowns come in all shapes and sizes, tbh. He might not have gotten a bit sniffly in a press conference like Kimmy up here in 2005, but he did scream abuse at the opposing balcony on his march back to the pavilion after some Pratt (:cool:) ran him out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meltdowns come in all shapes and sizes, tbh. He might not have gotten a bit sniffly in a press conference like Kimmy up here in 2005, but he did scream abuse at the opposing balcony on his march back to the pavilion after some Pratt (:cool:) ran him out.
Aye, though I meant meltdown in the context of a resignation. In a way I think he'd find the frustration he's going through now easier to cope with than say 05, when he had the bowlers but England won, whereas now it's a pus attack and deep down he'd have to know that.