• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taylor -v- O'Brien

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Basically, there has been a lot of hype going round for O'Brien but is he better than Taylor??

Personally, i think Taylor>>>>>>>>>O'Brien but i'm interested to see what others make of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is about Jerome Taylor, right? :p

I'd be surprised if Taylor didn't develop to be better than O'Brien, and I'd be surprised if Taylor didn't finish with the better career. However, O'Brien's better than Taylor as things stand right now, IMO.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
This is about Jerome Taylor, right? :p

I'd be surprised if Taylor didn't develop to be better than O'Brien, and I'd be surprised if Taylor didn't finish with the better career. However, O'Brien's better than Taylor as things stand right now, IMO.
I would like to think Taylor is better than O'Brien already, he adds a bit with the bat and has bags more pace with as good, if not better accuracy and variation, the series he had against Australia was good despite the figures. O'Brien has had a good start but i think he is bound to fall off. There is nothing that makes him that good, average pace, not a real swinger of the ball, decent variations. The only thing that is stand-out for O'Brien is his work-rate.

Yes my 100th post

Polo23

International Debutant
Looking at their statistics...O'Brien easily.

Jigga - you are dead wrong about O'Brien. He had a very poor start to his test career against Australia, and was left out of the side for around 3 years. He came back and didn't have a particularly good comeback against South Africa. But over the past 12-18 months he has been absolutely superb. He has got the ball to move both ways, even in this current test match on the flattest pitch in NZ he has got the ball to jag off the seam. He also bowled at a good clip yesterday, regularly above 140km/h and his slower ball to get Edwards was class.

Taylor will obviously have the longer career, and has the tools to develop into a class bowler but as it stands O'Brien is the better bowler. You only have to look at their match statistics for this test match really, even though it is a terrible small sample, the better bowler has been evident.

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
O'Brein Gets some Seam and Swing and is a very solid wicket taker, Averaging under 30 now.. I don't rate taylor very high. He's quite average

O'Brein for me

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to think Taylor is better than O'Brien already, he adds a bit with the bat and has bags more pace with as good, if not better accuracy and variation, the series he had against Australia was good despite the figures. O'Brien has had a good start but i think he is bound to fall off. There is nothing that makes him that good, average pace, not a real swinger of the ball, decent variations. The only thing that is stand-out for O'Brien is his work-rate.
If we're talking about them as bowlers, then their abilities with the bat are irrelavent. And I'm afraid taht you're simply wrong about Taylor having more accuracy. He doesn't leak runs to quite the same extent as Powell or Edwards but he's still distinctly loose.

O'Brien a bit better at the moment, but Taylor will develop into a better bowler in the long run.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In Test cricket, it'd have to be Iain O'Brien. O'Brien is 32 and so only has a few years left in him but I back him to have had the more successful Test career when it is all set and done. However, in ODIs, even if O'Brien makes a return, I'd rate Jerome Taylor as the better bowler. I have very high hopes for Jerome Taylor in ODI cricket; with the new ball in ODI cricket, he is the quickest bowler in the world with superb accuracy and his one issue of being very 'hittable' in the latter overs is one that can be easily overcome by him simply not bowling then.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Looking at their statistics...O'Brien easily.

Jigga - you are dead wrong about O'Brien. He had a very poor start to his test career against Australia, and was left out of the side for around 3 years. He came back and didn't have a particularly good comeback against South Africa. But over the past 12-18 months he has been absolutely superb. He has got the ball to move both ways, even in this current test match on the flattest pitch in NZ he has got the ball to jag off the seam. He also bowled at a good clip yesterday, regularly above 140km/h and his slower ball to get Edwards was class.

Taylor will obviously have the longer career, and has the tools to develop into a class bowler but as it stands O'Brien is the better bowler. You only have to look at their match statistics for this test match really, even though it is a terrible small sample, the better bowler has been evident.
Statistics for a man who has played test cricket for just over a year can be warped. Taylor has been playing test cricket for way longer and perhaps came in to the test game quicker than he should've which explains his poor statistics. I think Taylor bowls with more pace, moves the ball around more, has a better and more disguised slower ball.

All O'Brien's got going for him is his work-rate. Any movement he gets is generally off the seem and he's been lucky to pick up as many wickets as he has this year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some people seem to confuse "more naturally talented" with "better". Taylor undoubtedly has more inherant skill than O'Brien and thus, as alluded to already by quite a few people, could if things go well for him go on to become a better bowler than O'Brien is ever likely to be.

However, there's absolutely no two ways about the fact that O'Brien over the last 6-7 months has been better than Taylor has so far ever been.

And comparisons done purely on bowling, no batting considered.

Flem274*

123/5
In test match cricket, Taylor has absolutely nothing on O'Brien. In ODIs, the reverse applies.

Jigga, you're very wrong about O'Brien. Since his recall his accuracy, bounce and ability to make the ball seam have made him the most consistent of the NZ seamers.

The only things Taylor has that O'Brien diesn't is more swing and pace. But pace means jack **** if you can't use it properly and bowl pies, which is what this WI attack and Mark Gillespie have shown us on a very consistent basis.

I'm not going to predict who will be better simply because sport is so variable predictions about what players will be like in 5-10 years is like trying to bat against Brett Lee blinfolded.

I will say this though, few other players have recieved as much hate or or praise in 10 odd tests as O'Brien has.

Polo23

International Debutant
Statistics for a man who has played test cricket for just over a year can be warped. Taylor has been playing test cricket for way longer and perhaps came in to the test game quicker than he should've which explains his poor statistics. I think Taylor bowls with more pace, moves the ball around more, has a better and more disguised slower ball.

All O'Brien's got going for him is his work-rate. Any movement he gets is generally off the seem and he's been lucky to pick up as many wickets as he has this year.
You could go the other way and say because Taylor has been playing longer he should have a better record. Especially if he is as great as you are making out.

Yes Taylor bowls with more pace but as shown on this tour he definitely does not move the ball around more and he sure as hell doesnt have a more disguised slower ball. Perhaps you have missed the genius slower balls O'Brien has used in this test?

Your last argument is even more irrelevant than the first paragraph. O'Brien can swing the ball in swinging conditions (which Dunedin and Napier have not been) but lets pretend he doesnt swing it for a second. Do you rate Glenn McGrath as one of the best bowlers ever? He never swung the ball, all of his movement was off the seam. How has he been lucky to pick up as many wickets as he has? He has worked bloody hard for all of his wickets, and has been NZ's best quick bowler over the past year. To say he has been lucky is incredibly poor form.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
You could go the other way and say because Taylor has been playing longer he should have a better record. Especially if he is as great as you are making out.

Yes Taylor bowls with more pace but as shown on this tour he definitely does not move the ball around more and he sure as hell doesnt have a more disguised slower ball. Perhaps you have missed the genius slower balls O'Brien has used in this test?

Your last argument is even more irrelevant than the first paragraph. O'Brien can swing the ball in swinging conditions (which Dunedin and Napier have not been) but lets pretend he doesnt swing it for a second. Do you rate Glenn McGrath as one of the best bowlers ever? He never swung the ball, all of his movement was off the seam. How has he been lucky to pick up as many wickets as he has? He has worked bloody hard for all of his wickets, and has been NZ's best quick bowler over the past year. To say he has been lucky is incredibly poor form.
Urrrr.... O'Brien used a slower ball to dismiss Edwards and Taylor, great scalps (sence scarcasm) where as Taylor used his to get Mcintosh out and could have had a couple more batsman if things went his own way.

I am not going to lay down on this, I just think O'Brien is a lucky cricketer who has got way more wickets than he should have, and are you comparing O'Brien to Mcgrath??????? They are totally different. O'Brien looks like he could be good at dismissing tail-enders but i dont think he is potent enough to dismiss proper batsman, probobly gooing to get a barrage of contradictions but thats my opinion.

Flem274*

123/5
Urrrr.... O'Brien used a slower ball to dismiss Edwards and Taylor, great scalps (sence scarcasm) where as Taylor used his to get Mcintosh out and could have had a couple more batsman if things went his own way.

I am not going to lay down on this, I just think O'Brien is a lucky cricketer who has got way more wickets than he should have, and are you comparing O'Brien to Mcgrath??????? They are totally different. O'Brien looks like he could be good at dismissing tail-enders but i dont think he is potent enough to dismiss proper batsman, probobly gooing to get a barrage of contradictions but thats my opinion.
Oh noez, we g0t 0ut 2 sum1 so i hatez hm 4eva!! Boohooo!

Also, unless Gayle and co. aren't proper batsmen, he is potent enough, and he easily wipes the floor with Taylor atm, who could be a good bowler but he isn't. O'Brien is a good bowler, andi f you want to bury your head in the sand then go right ahead.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Oh noez, we g0t 0ut 2 sum1 so i hatez hm 4eva!! Boohooo!Also, unless Gayle and co. aren't proper batsmen, he is potent enough, and he easily wipes the floor with Taylor atm, who could be a good bowler but he isn't. O'Brien is a good bowler, andi f you want to bury your head in the sand then go right ahead.
I did not base my opinion of him on the fact that he got Windies batsmen out, I am not that bitter. Also, I didn't see the need for the MSN like language, I do not speek like that nor will i ever speak like that.