• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iain O'Brien

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This chap truly is a remarkable case. Fairly safe to say now I think that he's a pretty decent bowler (maybe even a Test-class one) who simply turned-up diabolical for his first 4 Tests. So far in 2008, with half a Test remaining, he's taken 22 wickets in 5-and-a-half games at 23.59 against Test-class teams. Previously he'd taken 5 in 4 at 77.80 - and this flattered him (2 of those 5 were gimmes).

Having a bad Test or 4 early on in a career isn't particularly unusual. However, O'Brien's was, just, well... O'so'Dire, no two ways about it. So just how often before has a perfectly decent bowler gone so utterly woefully in their first 4 (or so) Tests then turned-up properly later on? I can't immediately think of anyone. And how on Earth did a perfectly decent bowler bowl so dreadfully in those 4 games?

One thing you must say, though, is that John Bracewell et al don't deserve credit for very much, but their persistence with O'Brien was a masterstroke. However terrible he'd been in those 4 games, they kept faith that his domestic performances over many years weren't meaningless, and are now reaping the rewards, and might continue to do for another 2-3 years. If you criticise the many mistakes, it's only fair that you also praise the odd thing they get right. I'd have had Gillespies, Masons and a few besides over O'Brien any time, I wasn't alone, and it looks we'd have lost-out on some good bowling for a few years if we'd done so.

Now I've taken it all for granted, though, this'll probably be the end of O'Brien's good bowling at Test level. 8-) Just don't anyone accuse me of jinxing if so.

Craig

World Traveller
His performanceshave been remarkable. As to why he was rubbish early on? Confidence perhaps.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say though - normally to bowl that badly you've got to be some way below Test standard. O'Brien, now, fairly obviously isn't.

I guess those who'd watched him bowl lots for Wellington might've been a bit more clued-up too. Knowing whether he'd bowled something as he bowled at Test level and just gotten gifted good figures or whether his Test performances simply weren't remotely reflective of how he normally bowled.

There was even one of these on this site...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing I've noticed is that he's picked up his pace quite a bit, he was up around 141-142 today which is at least 10kph quicker than he was when he first came into the team.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
One thing I've noticed is that he's picked up his pace quite a bit, he was up around 141-142 today which is at least 10kph quicker than he was when he first came into the team.
Exactly, never seen him bowl so quick. He was getting some consistent movement to, he was clever and it was a brilliant ball to decieve Edwards and Nash while it was a good plan to bounce out Powell, and some class for the Gayle dismissal. If you match all this with his superb atitude towards the game you can start to gain an insight in to why he has so much wickets this year.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see him doing well after reading his blog. Seems like a genuinely good bloke, so I'm happy to see him have a measure of success.

pup11

International Coach
Seems like a real trier and a bloke who plays his cricket with a lot passion, so he is definitely a good addition to the rebuilding Black Caps side, got to be honest when i saw him in his first few tests he came across as a pretty poor bowler, but game by game he has improved and good to see him do well, hopefully he would continue with this and help New Zealand in becoming a competitive side once again,

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still don't like watching him, even if his results have been better lately. That action is just terrible.

Craig

World Traveller
Seems like a real trier and a bloke who bloke who plays his cricket with a lot passion, so he is definitely a good addition to the rebuilding Black Caps side, got to be honest when i saw him in his first few tests he came across as a pretty poor bowler, but game by game he has improved and good to see him do well, hopefully he would continue with this and help New Zealand in becoming a competitive side once again,
:huh:

(Yes that post was in Jest and I''m aware of any irony involved so GAGF Voltman :p )

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
He has a fantastic attitude towards the game and Vettori knows that every time he calls on him he will get 110% effort. This can sometimes go a long way as a bowler. I think he has matured greatly since that terrible debut against Australia through a lot of work. I think he should be a solid figure in this blackcaps line-up for the next 3 years hopefully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Hadlee??
I obviously didn't watch those games but surely he couldn't have been THAT bad?

Also, Hadlee was, what, 22? Maybe even younger? As I've always understood, Hadlee early in his career honestly just wasn't particularly good, and got better. O'Brien, as I say, seems to have been a pretty good bowler since quite a while before his Test debut, but just completely went to pieces when he got in the Test team - on both occasions, 2-and-a-half years apart. Then finally got it together 6 months later.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SK Warne for one
Warne hadn't done a great deal to merit his selection either though - I didn't, obviously, watch any of his first 8 Tests, but the impression I've always got is that he too simply wasn't very good when he was first picked, was elevated prematurely because of the "you must have variation" nonsense, and struggled early on accordingly.

I'm talking about bowlers who'd established their credentials bowling a certain way at domestic level for a while, then got their Test chance, and completely and totally went to pieces and not just on debut but for their first 4 or so games.

thierry henry

International Coach
This is not correct

When he first played, against Australia in 04/05, he was the quickest he has ever been for the national side. Regularly in the 140s and much less accurate than now.

I think a big part of his success this year is a small REDUCTION in pace, and more accuracy/savvy. I assume he realised merely being sharp-ish wasn't enough at test level.

tbh when I saw O'Brien bowl in those first 2 (?) matches in 04/05, I didn't think he was all that bad. It's hardly uncommon for a seamer to struggle first up against Australia in decent batting conditions.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
This is not correct

When he first played, against Australia in 04/05, he was the quickest he has ever been for the national side. Regularly in the 140s and much less accurate than now.

I think a big part of his success this year is a small REDUCTION in pace, and more accuracy/savvy. I assume he realised merely being sharp-ish wasn't enough at test level.

tbh when I saw O'Brien bowl in those first 2 (?) matches in 04/05, I didn't think he was all that bad. It's hardly uncommon for a seamer to struggle first up against Australia in decent batting conditions.
If that's true then why was he quoted saying how its the first time in ages that he's bowled with consistent good pace.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
O'Brien has one of those actions which is going to make him look absolutely park level if he's not bowling well - and he bowled terribly in his first few Test matches. I must admit that I had absolutely no faith in him to turn it around at Test level but he's certainly proven about 99% of this forum wrong.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I got a text from Heath, who is at McLean Park. He said, and I quote:

"The one to get Gayle was a beauty. You can go on CW and tell them from me that Iaian is a pillar of a man and this year's best bowler. Johnson needs to **** off and learn to'Brien."

Not totally sure what that last sentence means...