• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England vs Pakistan, NatWest Challenge Thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where's the young tyro who took 1-12 off 10 against Australia?
Pakistan weren't trying to get into a final and just blocking him out I guess. :D

And don't even start that old debate about how well he bowled. You didn't see it and I was actually at the game and I say he bowled straight up-and-down to batsmen who weren't concerned with trying to score runs off him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
And don't even start that old debate about how well he bowled. You didn't see it and I was actually at the game and I say he bowled straight up-and-down to batsmen who weren't concerned with trying to score runs off him.
Errrrm...whoa there before you gallop off into the distance...no one was...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Pakistan weren't trying to get into a final and just blocking him out I guess. :D

Oops. Tread in something nasty today, did you?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
In Australia last summer he was given the benefit of the doubt when he refused to walk when clearly caught by Langer.......he went on to make 174.
If I remember correctly, weren't the replays inconclusive, so the 3rd Umpire ruled it couldn't be deemed a clean catch?

If that is so, how can you say he was clearly caught?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
- Flintoff played with responsibility but after an assured partnership with McGrath he threw it away again. You could see he was disappointed (rightly so). To be fair the hot was on just didn't get it right and again this left the tail exposed. :(
Having been at the game, he threw it away IMO. Having just taken 8 runs from 3 balls, he did not need to go for any more attacking shots at that stage, but the old Freddie came back for a few seconds.

Up to that point he batted superbly, doing exactly what was needed of him.

Even more annoyingly I tipped him to be top scorer, but didn't get to the bookies in time (thanks to the LCCC stewards)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
A bad loss, could and should have been by a much larger margin.
I don't think it could've been. As the sun went down, the bowlers really started to battle well, Flintoff was outstanding, Giles also very tight. Anderson bounced back well, and Gough was, well Gough.

The weak link though also got a second ball duck on debut... Every ball he bowled seemed to offer the batsmen a chance to play into gaps, whereas the rest ekpt it tight and forced a lot of defensive play.

Overall a good performance in parts, and I feel a win would've happened if Flintoff had maintained his composure.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well in the end I went out shortly after 8pm. Pakistan were 106-1 and had it sewn up, but for some reason it appears they contrived to throw it away. I guess that's what happens when a side is littered with young inexperienced players.

Disappointed I missed out on the last 20 overs which looked very exciting but that seemed impossible when I went out, which is why I did! Anyway looking forward to Friday and the second installment.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think it was Pakistan blowing it as much as England bowling and fielding to the best of their abilities (Clarke was the weak link, but I think that was still the best of his ability that he was bowling)

That combined with the twilight zone changed the game, and for England it's a shame that the first 25 overs were under clear blue skies after it was fairly overcast and dull when we batted.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
If I remember correctly, weren't the replays inconclusive, so the 3rd Umpire ruled it couldn't be deemed a clean catch?

If that is so, how can you say he was clearly caught?
Yeah thats what happend but most people seem to think it was a rather ordinary umpiring decision as it really did look like a clean catch even on the replays.

Haing said that I have seen other players have a bit of luck in that regard when they are clearly out. I remember Ponting being very lucky in the 2000 ashes series when it appeared Rampraksh cough him when he was only on 1. In that case it also really influenced the game because Ponting made 145 and 112 of them in just one session!!!

Kimbo

International Debutant
I'm going to the Oval tomorrow for the game. and not just as spectator- I'm going in on a press pass with Patrick Eagar, a well known cricket photographer you probably havent heard of, but he had 17 pictures in the latest Wisden Cricket Monthly.

This no doubt will be the greatest day so far in my life... I will even get to take pictures on a borrowed camera.

I hope you are all jealous.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could always make a couple of discrete enquiries as to how we can get press passes as internet reporters:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
On what grounds? We fought back superbly and oh-so-nearly won it.

Although we will never know, I cant help but feel that a certain few guys could have done far better than the present team, and we have had enough discussions on that matter anyway.... :)

Cloete

International Captain
Sunil Havascar said:
I'm going to the Oval tomorrow for the game. and not just as spectator- I'm going in on a press pass with Patrick Eagar, a well known cricket photographer you probably havent heard of, but he had 17 pictures in the latest Wisden Cricket Monthly.

This no doubt will be the greatest day so far in my life... I will even get to take pictures on a borrowed camera.

I hope you are all jealous.
n e chance of Cricket Web getting some photos :). also i am jelous, VERY JEALOUS:!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Yeah thats what happend but most people seem to think it was a rather ordinary umpiring decision as it really did look like a clean catch even on the replays.
So clear the the third umpire couldn't give it...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Although we will never know, I cant help but feel that a certain few guys could have done far better than the present team, and we have had enough discussions on that matter anyway.... :)
Out of that team, there's only one I would've replaced, none of the other bowlers could be criticised for their efforts at all.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
So clear the the third umpire couldn't give it...
It looked an obvious mistake by the umpire and as I have said mistakes do happen are you really going to tell me you dont think umpires make mistakes??

I could hardly care less wether he made the hundred against us or Zimbabwe I was not even complaining about the situation all I was doing was trying to clear somthing up because you said.

"If I remember correctly, weren't the replays inconclusive, so the 3rd Umpire ruled it couldn't be deemed a clean catch?"

"If that is so, how can you say he was clearly caught"

I though you would know a little better than to agree with every decision an umpire makes especialy when a vast majority dont agree with it & you havent even see it yourself so it's going to be pritty hard to make any sort of judgments on it.

V Reddy

International Debutant
The catch dropped by Trescothick has proved costly for England. I think the team should be persisted as it has showed some talent or maybe one or two changes to the squad.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I only have one quibble with the squad - the one person who (on current form) would not have been picked if he played for any other county.