• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Broad At It Again

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Match referee’s report on conditions leaves the hospitable PCA red faced
England have conducted themselves remarkably well in their interactions with the media with Kevin Pietersen leading the way. The reassuring thing has been a concerted effort not to complain, but it seems Mohali might just test their patience.

Mohali has been known as the best venue in India, but when it hosted the last Test against Australia, a few problems crept up. The English were unhappy at the choice of Mohali after they specifically requested to play at a “southern venue”, meaning Bangalore.

England's contention was that it would be logistically easier to go from Chennai to Bangalore and fly directly home in time for Christmas. While that problem seems to have been sorted out, there could be others in store.

Chris Broad, whose son Stuart has been ruled fit to play the second Test, was the match referee for the Australia series. Broad Sr made some piquant observations in his end of tour report that could leave the PCA red faced.

"****roaches were found in the umpires’ food trolley on the 1st morning of the match and what food was provided was not hot — not a good start!!!!" wrote Broad in his report, which HT has access to. “****roaches were again found in the umpires’ food trolley on the 2nd day!! Eventually, the caterers made a better effort on the 3rd day but the selection of food was poor, made worse by the fact that we had requested a couple of westernised dishes before the match started which didn't turn up!"

The westernised dishes that Broad had asked for were fresh boiled vegetables, boneless chicken and plain fish.

The other aspect that exasperated Broad was the delays caused by people moving in front of the sightscreens. "This is the biggest headache in moving the game forward as no sooner do we get the game flowing does somebody gets up and either walks in front of the screens or stands up over the screens when the bowling is from that end," wrote Broad. "No matter what is said to the ground authorities, it seems impossible to stop people moving! I am at my wit's end!!!"

While this problem was not specific to Mohali, it was exacerbated by the sightscreen motor breaking down, causing a “big delay”. What bothered Broad was that there was no option but to wait till the cogs of the motor were released. The absence of an option to manually move the screen meant a delay of seven minutes.

Broad also found fault with the location of the match referee's room while noting that he rejected the first two options as they were “not ideal given that they were in front of the umpire’' change-rooms, were small and had restricted views".

Inderjit Singh Bindra, the boss-man at Mohali, has a reputation as one of the best cricket administrators in the country, and of a gracious host. He will want to make sure that there is no repeat.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...nditions+leaves+the+hospitable+PCA+red+faced+

Match referee comes down heavily on Indian batsmen

Mohali: The Indian team is rightfully riding a wave of euphoria after their historic win over England at Chennai but they might just curb their enthusiasm when they see that Chris Broad, the match referee has the same views as Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden when it comes to the role they play in slowing down the game.

"Indian batsmen were constantly slow in getting onto the field at the fall of a wicket, therefore affecting the over-rate. No matter how many times I asked them to hurry up, it seemed to go in one ear and out the other without registering," wrote Broad in his official review of the series."

Soon after the Test series against Australia, Ponting (later endorsed Matthew by Hayden) had said that Indian batsmen took inordinately long to face up and that people moving in front of the sightscreen was a problem especially encountered in this part of the world.

Broad's observations seem to back this up. "Not once during the series did we finish a day's play on time at 4.30 pm. On most occasions, the additional half hour was used and we also lost a number of overs from the game that could not be bowled."

Broad draws attention to the bigger picture, explaining how this could affect Test cricket at large at a time when it is struggling to compete with more glamourous forms of the game. "This was a very interesting and fiercely competitive series between two really good teams but I look at the dwindling crowds in these parts and wonder whether the paying public are really happy with seeing captains involved in long discussions with fielders and bowlers, fielders spending an age putting on protective equipment and batsmen taking additional drinks breaks when they rightly expect to see playing action from the teams," wrote Broad, bringing to light a radical solution that Billy Bowden, one of the standing umpires in the current series came up with.

Broad says that one method was "to stop drinks coming onto the field except at the drinks interval or the fall of a wicket and no protective equipment being brought on or taken off during a session so the fielding side have to take onto the field what they require for that session."

While indicating that it was possible to get the game moving at a far better pace, Broad says that "this puts more onus on the umpires to badger players into being ready earlier than they are at present," while observing that this "would improve the intensity of the game and maybe keep the interest of the spectators for longer periods".

Any move to give Test cricket the stature it deserves will be welcomed, as it is silly to expect each match to be as engrossing as Chennai and draw crowds on its own.

http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1764314

Chris broad has always been dodgy against India(ganguly,harbhajan,gambhir) and favourable towards australia ,but this time:laugh: .
Its always the fault of certain countries for him and other seem saints.
But it seemshe has been hurt by aussies losing the series 2-0 this time.What is he trying to do with this? making excuses for the aussie loss or the slow over rates of ponting?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not going to even consider the possibility that anything he says might be true?
There were a couple of times during the Ind-Aus series that the commentators said that they could have appealed to have Indian batsmen timed out, successfully, and play being interrupted by people wandering in front of the sightscreen was a constant irritation.

He might have written this, but he also told Ponting very firmly to smarten up his act re: over-rates or be fined/suspended - with the result that Ponting bowled part-timers. So any sooks that he is just helping fellow whites against Indians because he's a racist are pretty dire tbh. And what part of wanting food without ****roaches is racist? 8-)

Anyway, I'll stop here and return to my mantra

(Don't feed the troll, don't feed the troll, don't feed the troll)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He might have written this, but he also told Ponting very firmly to smarten up his act re: over-rates or be fined/suspended - with the result that Ponting bowled part-timers.
He's the wanker that was responsible for that travesty for cricket? Hussey and Clarke at either end so they could get a few extra overs in... The man should be castrated.

Precambrian

Banned
Let him rant about food or sightscreens, as long as he succeeds in making a Ponting out of opposing captains, I am happy :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As he of the birth in '79 said, though, I hardly think it's too much to ask for food without ****roaches TBH. I don't blame anyone for being extremely dissatisfied with that.

Precambrian

Banned
As he of the birth in '79 said, though, I hardly think it's too much to ask for food without ****roaches TBH. I don't blame anyone for being extremely dissatisfied with that.
Yeah nothing wrong in reporting ****roaches in food cart. Though complaining about non-view from the change rooms were a bit OTT. Am surprised at that since Mohali is one of the better stadiums in India.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Just shows the blatant disregard for public and official comfort on the part of BCCI..jokers.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, he says that not once was the days play not extended by half an hour, and that the Indian batsmen took their own sweet time. Now, it seems unfair to co-relate the two unless the Indian batsmen were batting for the majority of every single day of the series. There were two teams taking turns batting out there. And the other team were found guilty of slowing down the game at home in the very next test too.

And I call BS on the bugs. I cannot imagine the food being infested by ****roaches two days in a row, especially given the players and officials are most probably catered by five star kitchens. Most probably the food wasn't suited to his particular tastes, like he does mention later, but he realises he'd sound pretty silly nitpicking about just that in a report on a test. Most likely old fart syndrome.

This makes me realize, the job of Match Referee must be the cushiest job in International cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely no-one is going to invent the spectre of ****roaches in food? That'd be pretty easy to disprove, and it'd be quite a disgracing if you were shown to be making that up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He is at what again? If the food was as he says, and I don't doubt it for a second, then he absolutely has every right to complain quite a bit. On the other hand, I'd like to see the full report regarding delays. If he does indeed place the majority of the blame on the batsmen not getting to the middle after a wicket, then I'd want to actually look at the tape and time the two teams, and get an actual figure. Unless they are taking 2-3 minutes per wicket more than the Australians, I don't see how it could be the case.

Also, if a player is taking more than the allotted time, you should most certainly appeal. Unless it is the rare case that it is the umpire's fault, it should be given out (e.g, in SA when Tendulkar took too long, but it was because the umpires had misinformed him about how long he would be ineligible to come out for). However, you are still responsible for getting 90 overs in, as long as the batsmen are within their allotted time to come out.

I think not appealing is ridiculous if they are indeed slowing you down! I mean, that cost Australia a Test match, they should surely have appealed and sent a couple of Indian batsmen back into the pavilion. A couple timeout wickets would have fixed the problem quickly, if Indians were indeed delaying the game that way. I wouldn't really put it past them, as India did purposefully slow the game down to give themselves a bigger chance of drawing at one point (that should immediately be stopped by the ICC by enforcing immediate run and ban penalties, even for first time offenders). The tactic of simply not bowling your overs to avoid a defeat cannot be allowed to become a legitimate tactic in the game of cricket! But if you let it happen, it'll keep happening.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Ridiculous of him to say batsmen taking more time (and note he specifically said Indian batsmen) is a prime reason for the slow overrates.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Surely no-one is going to invent the spectre of ****roaches in food? That'd be pretty easy to disprove, and it'd be quite a disgracing if you were shown to be making that up.
How is that easy to disprove? Its not like the caterers have cctv footage of the food right from the kitchens to his mouth. Its something that'd be easier to prove via corroboration by a second individual of standing.

I simply refuse to believe the ****roaches bit. I've lived in India all my life and consumed food from all sorts of places, and not once have I come across a ****roach in my food. Broad expects us to believe he found ****roaches on two separate occasions in presumably five start catered food?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Broad must have sent this report to ICC, So I would like to know who in the ICC leaked this report to Hindustan Times. Until HT comes up and releases either a copy of the Letter or the name of the source, I refuse to believe a single word of that news report.

On second thought, I clicked the link and it is written by Anand Vasu. So I am not really surprised, he has a history of making up stuff about people he doesn't seem to like.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
How is that easy to disprove? Its not like the caterers have cctv footage of the food right from the kitchens to his mouth. Its something that'd be easier to prove via corroboration by a second individual of standing.

I simply refuse to believe the ****roaches bit. I've lived in India all my life and consumed food from all sorts of places, and not once have I come across a ****roach in my food. Broad expects us to believe he found ****roaches on two separate occasions in presumably five start catered food?
Maybe the food was nuked....:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

It does seem pretty remarkable, nay, unthinkable.

But there are things called witnesses - he noted that it was in the Umpires' trolley. So therefore if true, these Umpires can attest to it. And he's not going to make an accusation on the Umpires' behalf if they're not going to back him up, is he?

Langeveldt

Soutie
pfft it's not the stone age, umpires should be able to chow down without coming up with some ****roach.. pretty ridiculous if it's true