• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Simon Katich Appreciation Society - Kat Is King

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I saw a mini-interview with Katich recently where he said he's always considered himself a "top order batsman" and whilst his preferred position is three, he feels a lot more comfortable opening than he does at five or six.
What would Simon Katich know about his own batting that Richard doesn't? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I saw a mini-interview with Katich recently where he said he's always considered himself a "top order batsman" and whilst his preferred position is three, he feels a lot more comfortable opening than he does at five or six.
Not too surprised by that, and was always a bit dubious of him as far down as six, though his failures down there were disappointing nonetheless.

Ideally he'd have batted three (or four at worst) for Australia, but sadly the presence of Ricky Ponting has debarred that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However in tests, he is on the road to becoming one of the game's best openers ever, Isn't he? Had he been slotted for the middle order (where he started), he'd be still in and out of the squad due to the presence of the Fab 4.
He's on the road to (indeed already is) one of the best openers of the September-'01-onwards time, but as I've said many times, I don't believe he'd have been much of a success (not a complete failure, but not that much of a success) as an opener before September '01.

If he was kept out for years by Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly, he'd certainly probably not be the only one. Who knows how many Indian batsmen might've been at the least good Test players who've not got a game the last 7-8 years?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Love how he has come back after being out of contention for so long.. Provides all good players who toil in domestic cricket across the world a great inspiration.. For that alone, I love the man.......

Go Kat!!!!! :)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
He's on the road to (indeed already is) one of the best openers of the September-'01-onwards time, but as I've said many times, I don't believe he'd have been much of a success (not a complete failure, but not that much of a success) as an opener before September '01.
Not sure why that matters. You can only play what's put in front of you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure why that matters. You can only play what's put in front of you.
But as a batsman, what is put in front of you defines what you are.

You don't get the chance to prove yourself of the highest calibre, you aren't of the highest calibre.

It's tough, but that's life. Some are unlucky.

Of course, the unlucky are actually very lucky, as many people refuse to accept the degree to which the ease of batting has increased, and believe that someone averaging 50 since September '01 is the equal or near to of someone doing so before that date. Which, well, just isn't true.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It generally takes a bad one to start things off, you have to Garner the respect as the punning goes on, and Marshall the troops cunningly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think I've Ramdin the nail now, I am the Tim Whelan of CW with Whelan so rarely around these days.

(Wonder if Heath can do a forum-names-only-please!-related pun?)