• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Simon Katich Appreciation Society - Kat Is King

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'll put my hand up and say that I wavered from fervent fan when he couldn't get a regular spot in the team, to doubter after his 05 Ashes efforts and sceptic when he initially started gunning it in Shield cricket. However, I've then gone through "reluctant convert" to ardent admirer - massive respect to the bloke for persisting, for having faith in himself, and for making the most of this opportunity. Can't ask him to do much more than what he's achieved in the last couple of years. Still not convinced he's the best choice to open in ODIs, but the opener spot in the Tests should be his for the next couple of seasons at least.

Justin Langer today was talking about him and saying that besides being a run-machine, he's a man of steel, or has steel running through his veins (Langer gets a bit repetitive sometimes). That's high praise coming from Alfie.

I reckon he wouldn't be a ridiculous candidate for ICC player of the year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always was a fan of Katich, right back to the 2000 season when I first saw him play for Durham in the National League, batting three with Collingwood four.

I'm just annoyed I can't enjoy his most recent set of successes, as it's come with the "he should be bloody batting in the middle-order and he's not an opener so shouldn't be succeeding as one!" caveat.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have always rated Katich as a batsman, and reckon his century against us in a Shield final several years ago is one of the best innings I have seen live. Also saw him recently in Brisbane when he carried his bat.

Have never really enjoyed watching him bat though, but is obviously a classy batsman and deserves his current success as he has worked had to get it.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quality batsman, always enjoy watching him play. That is partially because of his amusingly large helmet though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Always was a fan of Katich, right back to the 2000 season when I first saw him play for Durham in the National League, batting three with Collingwood four.

I'm just annoyed I can't enjoy his most recent set of successes, as it's come with the "he should be bloody batting in the middle-order and he's not an opener so shouldn't be succeeding as one!" caveat.
Possibly time to re-examine a caveat that's based on a point of principle that proves to be untrue as often as it is accurate then? :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Possibly time to re-examine a caveat that's based on a point of principle that proves to be untrue as often as it is accurate then? :)
Yeah, exactly.

Pointless anyway; if you have a good enough technique to play top-level cricket, you have a good enough technique to bat pretty much anywhere. There are some skills specific to the positions (opener vs middle-order, etc.), sure, but generally no matter where you bat, you're holding a stick of wood in your hands and expected to score runs.

Dydl

International Debutant
Am really glad he got another opportunity to show the cricketing world what a good batsman he is. It'd be a terrible shame to waste his awesome form at the moment too. Have a lot of respect for the guy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Might go back and check all the "Simon Katich should be dropped" threads and see who's lying in here.
You can be a fan of a player while recognising their shortcomings, including that sometimes they deserve to be dropped, though.

See Cribb and Sinclair. Or tec and Hick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah. I just like to see openers opening and middle-order batsmen batting in the middle. Nothing is ever going to change that, it's not a case of re-examination.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah. I just like to see openers opening and middle-order batsmen batting in the middle. Nothing is ever going to change that, it's not a case of re-examination.
In many cases it's a quite arbitrary distinction that makes no sense and has no basis in reality though. To take the example to its logical ridiculous extreme, is Sobers still considered a spinner who was manufactured into a batsman, and hence inferior to a player who was initially selected as a pure batsman?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, of course not. Sobers clearly always had skill with the bat, even if it's unlikely at 17 anyone thought he was going to go on to become one of the best batsmen in history - entirely different to someone like Mark Richardson.

It's simply a personal thing. Once the age of 16 or 17 is reached (nothing to do with what level of cricket you were selected first for and when), mostly an opener is an opener and a middle-order batsman is a middle-order batsman. Of course, such as in the cases of Jimmy Maher, Alec Stewart and Sanath Jayasuriya, players convert - in either direction - in their mid-20s. But I don't like to see it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, most certainly. Always said I could quite see Sehwag being a successful Test player in the middle-order at virtually any point in Test history.

Don't mind him opening in ODIs at all though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I saw a mini-interview with Katich recently where he said he's always considered himself a "top order batsman" and whilst his preferred position is three, he feels a lot more comfortable opening than he does at five or six.

Precambrian

Banned
Yes, most certainly. Always said I could quite see Sehwag being a successful Test player in the middle-order at virtually any point in Test history.

Don't mind him opening in ODIs at all though.
However in tests, he is on the road to becoming one of the game's best openers ever, Isn't he? Had he been slotted for the middle order (where he started), he'd be still in and out of the squad due to the presence of the Fab 4.