• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McCullum moves to Canterbury

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting news that Brendon McCullum will play for Canterbury this season. Now to me that is VERY interesting because Gareth Hopkins did pretty good for Canterbury last season and theres also Michael Papps..but maybe they just want him to concentrate on opening.

Craig

World Traveller
Well he isnt that good of a batsman. However, Canterbury will have a good squad next year.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You're right, his batting has been a huge disappointment considering what he did at age group level but I expect at Canterbury he'll really be able to develop himself because the NZ Academy is there aswell as Canterbury being arguably NZ's most successful factory for international players.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am NOT happy.. Why does he go to a place that have two very good wicketkeepers. Gareth Hopkins can't make the OD squad as it is and I rate Papps a much better keeper and batter!!!!!

And we don't need the arogant (spelling sorry) guy who only cares about the way he looks behind the stumps...

I was talking to Stu( his father ) on Sunday at the indoor nets and he was saying how good it will be for Canterbury etc... It is not good.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lynn McConnell from nzcricket.co.nz believes that we're possibly getting to the stage now where we will see alot more transferring of players between districts.

I hope it doesn't get to the stage of football however where the richest club or district gets all the good players and the rest of the competition suffers.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I really hope we don't see that.. Although it would be good if It made the lower teams more competitive

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Otago are already suffering..they've lost Matt Horne, Mark Richardson & now Brendon McCullum.

How long before they lose potential NZ players like Cumming, Jordan Sheed & Warren McSkimming?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess Gareth Hopkins will be seriously considering a shift further south now that NZ's ODI wicket-keeper is there..im sure NZ cricket would be expecting Canterbury to make McCullum keep in all forms of the game.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think Cumming will stay. Interesting though that everyone always talks about canterbury being really good.. Remeber that they got the wooden spoon last year in the State Championship.

Canterbury Loaned MacKenzie(can't remember his first name) to Otago and then he scored a ton against them just this year.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats right..infact Otago is a real concern.
They had to loan Marcel McKenzie, Peter McGlashan from C.D & Mohammad Wasim which suggests there is a shortage of decent first class players in Dunedin.

I think Canterbury will be alot stronger this season they've got some very good talent coming through like Neil Broom, Peter Fulton, Michael Papps etc and they should be able to step up this season.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
I guess Gareth Hopkins will be seriously considering a shift further south now that NZ's ODI wicket-keeper is there..im sure NZ cricket would be expecting Canterbury to make McCullum keep in all forms of the game.
I will be annoyed. I don't rate McCullam as a keeper or a batter. He is in the team because of some great club stats and a couple of impressive under 19 games.

I am not going to be too mean thoug.. His father is the GM rep and I want a new bat.:D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol, fair enough then.

Im going to tip Central Districts to be the bolters this season and take out the State Championship. The C.D region really is full of good players at the moment and it must be frustrating for fans to see them play so inconsistently.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Canterburys future looks bright. Broom is yet to prove himself ut I have seen him play and he is good. Fulton and Papps have done it before.

Michael Papp's brother Tim has been playing awesome club cricket and Provinsal 'a' cricketbut probably a bit like Craig McMillan(not patient enough).

Also Lieghton Burtt is a 18 year old and a good player however a stress fracture in his foot stopped him playing this season. he was in the under 19 world cup team.. (his mother coached me in the canterbury womens team this year)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
lol, fair enough then.

Im going to tip Central Districts to be the bolters this season and take out the State Championship. The C.D region really is full of good players at the moment and it must be frustrating for fans to see them play so inconsistently.
I agree with you. A great bowling attack backed up with alrounders like Oram, Sulzberger and batters like Spearman, Ryder, How, Sinclair.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Plus if they decide to use them..Ross Taylor, Ian Sandbrook & Richard Sherlock.

And watching some youth players in Auckland recently..Auckland will be the dominant team in about 3 or 4 years. There is a tremendous amount of talent coming through in terms of batting & pace bowling..spin is still a concern but there are a couple around who have impressed me.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yeah.. In general, the whole of cricket in NZ has never looked brighter... Our selctors just need to stop living in the past.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
well yeah exactly so thats 3 experienced NZ players they've lost in the last 2 years aswell as now losing one of their biggest assets Brendon McCullum.
And don't forget that they also lost Shayne O'Connor to retirement so they've been hit hard.

But with all these movements i'd say Otago could be looking at a couple of Canterbury players closely because they're neighbouring districts & that they can probably guarantee a Canterbury player a first team place.

Craig

World Traveller
It could be a case of a big swap with Hopkins going down to Otago and take over McCullum's place? Who kept wicket for Otago when McCullum was with the New Zealand team?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter McGlashan but he was loaned from Central Districts, and im not sure whether he is playing for Otago this season again or not.
I presume so because he got alot of game time for Otago whereas Central Districts currently have Bevan Griggs & NZ U19 keeper Ian Sandbrook so complications allround for Otago.
I guess at first class level both McGlashan & Hopkins are probably good enough to just be batsmen for Otago.