• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who should have played more

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair on Rich here, it's actually quite a common criticism to be levelled at Deano. He was a wonderful player to watch in full flight, and you could argue that for a period of time he was the most popular cricketer in Australia, but his record in dead rubber matches is much better than in "live" Tests.

It's the main reason he was dropped - seemingly prematurely at the time - for Damien Martyn, that the Australian selectors had gotten fed up of Jones saving his best for when it mattered least.
I stand corrected. Apologies, Richard

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair play Zaremba. It's probably the kind of thing that was made a bigger deal of in Australia than elsewhere. :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Every time I saw him play he looked high class. I imagine his dropping also had something to do with his personality?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I liked Dean Jones - no idea what really happened in 97 when he left in acrimonious circumstances but the way that as captain he dragged Derbyshire up to the heights of runners up in the County Championship in 96 and their best finish for 60 years demonstrated a depth of committment to County cricket that not many overseas players show

On the way he got Chris Adams to step up at least two divisions in class - have to say Mr Z I am surprised you haven't nominated 'ol grizzly - so I will do it for you :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to jump on the Jones wagon as well.

I cant testify as to his mental strength or his timing in performing but from what I saw he was one of a special breed of the annoyingly talented.

A player that I hold in greater respect than his record and stats may initially appear to justify.