• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who should have played more

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Butler was poor, IMO. Should never have played international cricket - never mind ODIs - ITFP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To state a really big one you missed, Graeme Pollock. Had his career cut short at the age of 26 due to apartheid, after just 23 matches with the second-highest completed test average.
Most of that South African team of '69/70 fit that. SA played precious few Tests even pre-isolation (see Neil Adcock who played less than 20 in 6-and-a-half years) anyway, and isolation merely added to this.

There were both Pollocks, Procter, Barry Richards, Irvine, Lindsay, and to a lesser extent Lance and Trimborn. Only Goddard and Barlow had had any real sort of Test career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Most of that South African team of '69/70 fit that. SA played precious few Tests even pre-isolation (see Neil Adcock who played less than 20 in 6-and-a-half years) anyway, and isolation merely added to this.

There were both Pollocks, Procter, Barry Richards, Irvine, Lindsay, and to a lesser extent Lance and Trimborn. Only Goddard and Barlow had had any real sort of Test career.
Also the Egyptian John Traicos who later played for Zimbabwe, an amazing feat IMO.

Wonder if he'd still be able to get a game if he wanted to. :)

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hamish Marshall! Averaged 37 in tests but from what I've heard, was treated like crap by bracewell and turned down a New Zealand national contract to play over in England

Flem274*

123/5
Hamish Marshall! Averaged 37 in tests but from what I've heard, was treated like crap by bracewell and turned down a New Zealand national contract to play over in England
Oh I cannot wait for the Heathster to see this.

On the contrary, Marshall was ruined by Bracewell because he was picked for too long during his form slump. Destroyed his confidence imo.

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh I cannot wait for the Heathster to see this.

On the contrary, Marshall was ruined by Bracewell because he was picked for too long during his form slump. Destroyed his confidence imo.
Am I in for a flamin'?

I was told he didn't want to open and Bracewell pretty much forced it on him

Flem274*

123/5
Am I in for a flamin'?

I was told he didn't want to open and Bracewell pretty much forced it on him
Heath HATES the Marshalls :p

Sounds more like Vincent iirc. Wouldn't be the only one though.

The players that should have formed our current middle order are gone/half buggered now (Marshall, Sinclair, Vincent, Fulton). because they all had to open. Pisses me off no end.

Players that should have played more...Bevan, Lehmann, most kiwi seamers afflicted by the injury curse, most English seamers hit by the English injury curse.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Butler was poor, IMO. Should never have played international cricket - never mind ODIs - ITFP.
Yeah, certainly wasn't ready for International cricket when picked, but from memory was pretty young and had horrible seam position. Raw product that could have become something.

Flem274*

123/5
Butler was on the improve when he got injured. His issue was he was an idiot. He was so obsessed with knocking somebodys head/toes of that he could easily forget about line and length. He's much smarter now he's a medium fast bowler, has some variation and thinks much more about his bowling. If he'd done that before injury..

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xavier Marshall is the best Marshall I've seen bat in NZ.

Hamish Marshall in particular (though James as well) was given too much time (and too many matches) by Bracewell when it was perfectly clear that he wasn't up to the task. Granted, he shouldn't have been opening, but the fact that Bracewell was happier to see Marshall open the batting than a proper opener (or even Lou Vincent) shows the adoration and expansive favours thrown at the feet of Marshall that other batsmen were not given.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Javagal Srinath.

He was finally getting his length right in conditions abroad but quit soon after that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(Broad) Ditched for Atherton (and Stewart). Fair enough, IMO.
Eventually replaced by Atherton, but not initially ditched for. Broad should have played more tests in the 2 years befor A & S played their first tests. Should have gone to WI in 1986/7 as well, although he's possibly grateful that he didn't.

thierry henry

International Coach
The Marshalls and Vincent were/are totally dire, it really raises my ire to hear people saying they should have played more

fredfertang

Ted MacDonald who, after 11 tests, preferred to throw in his lot with Lancashire

An Aussie called (I think) Nick Richardson is allegedly working on his biography - I hope it sees the light of day and throws some light on the suggestion I have heard that the reason he eventually didn't want to return to Aus was due to unfinished business with the authorities over a suspected fraud

fredfertang

Kambli. Nobody, nobody deserves to be dropped when they average 54 in test cricket.
He is a really curious case - if he upset the authorities so much that he never got picked for the test side after 95 why did they pick him for the best part of 50 ODI's over the next five years particularly as his performances in those games were less than spectacular - a solitary ton against Zim and just two 50's

Precambrian

Banned
He is a really curious case - if he upset the authorities so much that he never got picked for the test side after 95 why did they pick him for the best part of 50 ODI's over the next five years particularly as his performances in those games were less than spectacular - a solitary ton against Zim and just two 50's
In ODIs, he was not good, however ODIs never should be criteria to judge test performance.

Sad waste of talent.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Some guys from the old days:-

<b>Charles Marriott</b>
Played only one Test despite performing well in the county championship, taking eleven wickets. Didn't help that he played at the same time as Hedley Verity.

<b>FR Foster</b>
11 matches, 330 runs and 45 wickets. A wartime accident put paid to his playing career.

<b>Fred Martin</b>
Two Tests, 14 wickets at 10 apiece. No idea why he didn't play more.

<b>George Lohmann</b>
Illness meant he played in only 18 of the 31 Tests he could have, yet he took 112 wickets at 10.75, a record for Test average.

<b>Jack Gregory</b>
24 Tests, nearly 37 with the bat and 85 wickets at 31.15, his aggressive bowling style eventually took its toll.

<b>Albert Trott</b>
5 matches, 228 runs at 38, 26 wkts at 15. Took his own life in 1914, David Frith said in Wisden "None of [the Golden Age cricketers] was remotely comparable to Arthur Trott".