• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Player of the 1960s

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent article - made me have another look at Colin Cowdrey's figures - remarkably consistent over many years yet rarely get's a mention these days - good to see his value to England so clearly demonstrated - were that we had his like available today

chasingthedon

International Regular
Excellent article - made me have another look at Colin Cowdrey's figures - remarkably consistent over many years yet rarely get's a mention these days - good to see his value to England so clearly demonstrated - were that we had his like available today
Thanks Fred - Cowdrey is one of the first cricketers I remember watching (that ages me, although he was at the tail-end of his career). TBH, I always felt he looked a little "ample" to be playing top-class cricket. Shows what I knew! I think it was probably the chubby cheeks.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No I am sure the cherubic looks didn't help his captaincy ambitions and I understand he never swore - but you don't get all those runs without being a tough b******

"I don't think we've met young man - my name is Cowdrey"

Apocryphal I suspect but a great line nonetheless

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No I am sure the cherubic looks didn't help his captaincy ambitions and I understand he never swore - but you don't get all those runs without being a tough b******

"I don't think we've met young man - my name is Cowdrey"

Apocryphal I suspect but a great line nonetheless
I think it's a true story actually - he said it to Thommo when he was called out to Australia for the 74/75 tour. Well, that's what Thommo says anyway - depends on how much we can believe what he tells us!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WD mate - another top read.

I enjoy seeing Lawry up there for Australia. People only remember the "corpse with pads" part of his career, but he really was a fine player for Australia in the 60s. Wish they'd picked him for the 72 tour to England.

chasingthedon

International Regular
WD mate - another top read.

I enjoy seeing Lawry up there for Australia. People only remember the "corpse with pads" part of his career, but he really was a fine player for Australia in the 60s. Wish they'd picked him for the 72 tour to England.
Thanks Burgey - the very first Test I ever saw live, at Headingley in 1968, was unfortunately the only Test of that series he didn't appear in. I also enjoyed Fred Titmus being up there, if nothing else because of the Half Man, Half Biscuit song!