• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bill O'Reilly vs Clarrie Grimmett

Who was greater - O'Reilly or Grimmett

• Total voters

Beleg

International Regular
I think people tend to take these sorts of things too seriously. Yes comparing throughout the ages is flawed, so what? No one is calling it an exact science. It's fun hypothesising, comparing and being subjective. There's no need to stay away from it just because you haven't seen copious amounts of footage.
People aren't arguging that you can't hypothesise something without having seen the footage - my arguement (and I wouldn't claim to speak for others) is that I am not comfortable with giving objective'ish judgements in cases where I haven't actually seen the players in question ply their trade.

Beleg

International Regular
I would have to look it up, but I think he said players he had watched or batted against, but as he had not watched Barnes he was unsure, but as Barnes did not have the wrong-un. he would put Tiger first

Still I would be happy with Bradman rating Tiger No.1, his choice:cool:
This particular post underscores the dangers in relying on subjective 'expert' opinion.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I would have to look it up, but I think he said players he had watched or batted against, but as he had not watched Barnes he was unsure, but as Barnes did not have the wrong-un. he would put Tiger first

Still I would be happy with Bradman rating Tiger No.1, his choice:cool:
I think the point was more with regards to how the Don made his opinion and not who he chose. Different eras have used different criteria and put value on certain criteria when judging Cricketers. For example, people know and touted then how many wickets he took per match, but they never talk about his strike-rate. Whilst that is a big thing nowadays.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People aren't arguging that you can't hypothesise something without having seen the footage - my arguement (and I wouldn't claim to speak for others) is that I am not comfortable with giving objective'ish judgements in cases where I haven't actually seen the players in question ply their trade.
This for me too.

pasag

RTDAS
But when threads like these are created they're not asking for clear cut objective judgements. It's pretty obvious that they'll contain a fair bit of subjective analysis, no one is claiming otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I see Yawer's point and if he doesn't want to compare players accross times - at all - then fair play to him.

What irritates me is people who say the stuff they saw was better than the stuff they didn't see. And yes, there are types that do such a thing. If you don't have any interest in a particular subject (eg, comparing accross the ages) then just stay out of it and don't disfigure the results of those whose aim is something different to yours.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think people tend to take these sorts of things too seriously. Yes comparing throughout the ages is flawed, so what? No one is calling it an exact science. It's fun hypothesising, comparing and being subjective. There's no need to stay away from it just because you haven't seen copious amounts of footage.
Best post in the thread.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The irony is that some of the people are saying they'd rather not judge at all are being lambasted for not doing so or for holding the opinion that they can't judge accurately even if they were to take a punt.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Yeah I see Yawer's point and if he doesn't want to compare players accross times - at all - then fair play to him.

What irritates me is people who say the stuff they saw was better than the stuff they didn't see. And yes, there are types that do such a thing. If you don't have any interest in a particular subject (eg, comparing accross the ages) then just stay out of it and don't disfigure the results of those whose aim is something different to yours.
It reminds me of a Channel 4 show on the best album ever, as voted by the Channel 4 viewers. The winner was The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses, which I felt said more about the Channel 4 viewer demographic than the relative merits of the albums. Ditto Q Magazine, winner being OK Computer. If you put that issue to the vote of say, Golf Weekly readers, you'd get a different answer (probably).

As Rich says, it's people voting on only what they have seen/heard for themselves which skews things. You have to take into account stats, opponents, situations, grounds, opportunity and contemporary accounts.

But at the end of the day, it's still subjective opinion. And mine's as good as any of yours!

:)

archie mac

International Coach
I think the point was more with regards to how the Don made his opinion and not who he chose. Different eras have used different criteria and put value on certain criteria when judging Cricketers. For example, people know and touted then how many wickets he took per match, but they never talk about his strike-rate. Whilst that is a big thing nowadays.
I have to admit I am not a huge fan of strike rate, and can see why it was not that important in games in Aust where the Tests were played to a finish. Also in the 60s they scored much slower, which you would think meant they took less risk then these days, which I would imagine would reduce SR

Imagine bowling to a team containing Boycott and Barrington, as opposed to Hayden and Langer. The four batsman have a similar Test ave: (as a pair), but I am sure the bowlers SR bowling to the former would be much higher:)

I understand about the critera, you have to be able to use your brain when reading things that were written a long time ago. If you have an understanding, then that should not be a concern

The irony is that some of the people are saying they'd rather not judge at all are being lambasted for not doing so or for holding the opinion that they can't judge accurately even if they were to take a punt.
That is a spurious statement:@ People jump on these threads when people compare past players and say 'you can't compare players you did not see'

They don't start by saying personally I don't like to compare players, they say:'you can't'

And then when people point out how silly that line of thinking is, they come with stupid arguments to try and convince people that so called experts from the past did not know what they were saying8-)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is a spurious statement:@ People jump on these threads when people compare past players and say 'you can't compare players you did not see'

They don't start by saying personally I don't like to compare players, they say:'you can't'

And then when people point out how silly that line of thinking is, they come with stupid arguments to try and convince people that so called experts from the past did not know what they were saying8-)
Read back through the thread and see who actually said "You can't" then realise you're acting like a tool about this.

My first comment was totally tongue-in-cheek and since then I've held the line that *I* wont' be comparing players I haven't seen but that others who want to engage in it can go ahead. At no stage, though, has anyone actually said "You can't" or even "You shouldn't."

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I have to admit I am not a huge fan of strike rate, and can see why it was not that important in games in Aust where the Tests were played to a finish. Also in the 60s they scored much slower, which you would think meant they took less risk then these days, which I would imagine would reduce SR

Imagine bowling to a team containing Boycott and Barrington, as opposed to Hayden and Langer. The four batsman have a similar Test ave: (as a pair), but I am sure the bowlers SR bowling to the former would be much higher:)

I understand about the critera, you have to be able to use your brain when reading things that were written a long time ago. If you have an understanding, then that should not be a concern
The problem is much harder to evaluate. For example, what was Barrington's or Boycott's SR? Does the stat even exist? If they were in the 30s, then I actually would rather the latter pair.

Again, judges of that era didn't place much importance on SR. Do you seriously think we'd be debating Sobers as the greatest all-rounder if he played in this era? And you can't say his bowling SR was okay for even his own time, because it wasn't. So commentators of the game back then placed huge praise on a man's ability to bowl when it clearly wasn't even near what it was touted to be.

Using your brain, is just another way to say using your imagination. Yes, you can imagine and you can give it a punt but you do not get near anything that is remotely conclusive.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here because I do at times compare older players to ones nowadays without having seen them, but at the same time I understand there is a great unknown about certain players. I think others need to accept that fact too before they try to shove the Hobbs' or the Barnes' down everybody's throat.

I didn't read that. I read that in their opinion they can't judge them so they don't. I haven't seen anyone quote anybody else and say "don't judge".

archie mac

International Coach
Read back through the thread and see who actually said "You can't" then realise you're acting like a tool about this.

My first comment was totally tongue-in-cheek and since then I've held the line that *I* wont' be comparing players I haven't seen but that others who want to engage in it can go ahead. At no stage, though, has anyone actually said "You can't" or even "You shouldn't."
Personal abuse is unlike you, and so I shall just pretend it did not happen:dry:

archie mac

International Coach
The problem is much harder to evaluate. For example, what was Barrington's or Boycott's SR? Does the stat even exist? If they were in the 30s, then I actually would rather the latter pair.

Again, judges of that era didn't place much importance on SR. Do you seriously think we'd be debating Sobers as the greatest all-rounder if he played in this era? And you can't say his bowling SR was okay for even his own time, because it wasn't. So commentators of the game back then placed huge praise on a man's ability to bowl when it clearly wasn't even near what it was touted to be.

Using your brain, is just another way to say using your imagination. Yes, you can imagine and you can give it a punt but you do not get near anything that is remotely conclusive.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here because I do at times compare older players to ones nowadays without having seen them, but at the same time I understand there is a great unknown about certain players. I think others need to accept that fact too before they try to shove the Hobbs' or the Barnes' down everybody's throat.

I didn't read that. I read that in their opinion they can't judge them so they don't. I haven't seen anyone quote anybody else and say "don't judge".
I have no doubt we would rate Sobers as the greatest AR no matter what era he played in, and really can't fathom you thinking otherwise:-O

I don''t shove anything down anyones throat, don't post if you don't like me expressing MY opinion, if people don't think you can compare them, why do they post on here? Find another thread. I don't enjoy 20/20 but I don't run around posting on every 20/20 thread telling people how crap it is, and that they should stop watching it

And if people don't think Hobbs and Barnes are two of the greatest players of our game, fine, but don't make the comment on a cricket forum and just expect everyone to except it, and then when they don't; say: 'it is just my opinion'

So they were not big on SR and they were more into time rather then balls faced, I can still compare them, and as it is impossible to line up players from 100 years ago and pit them against players of now, then it is just going to be my opinion

As for prefering to watch the latter pair, again; your choice

Anyway sick of debating this, you are giving no ground, and we are starting to go around in circles:ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I have no doubt we would rate Sobers as the greatest AR no matter what era he played in, and really can't fathom you thinking otherwise:-O
I beg to differ. His bowling record is in tatters statistically and every discussion we have surrounding his bowling is off pure commentary and not something that is necessary backed by facts. But let's not digress.

I don''t shove anything down anyones throat, don't post if you don't like me expressing MY opinion, if people don't think you can compare them, why do they post on here? Find another thread. I don't enjoy 20/20 but I don't run around posting on every 20/20 thread telling people how crap it is, and that they should stop watching it
I am not saying you shove your opinion in people's throats but that people generally talk about players like Hobbs as if there is no other option than to agree...despite such a person not ever seeing Hobbs play. See...one can have an idea about Hobbs but never ever be that sure.

And if people don't think Hobbs and Barnes are two of the greatest players of our game, fine, but don't make the comment on a cricket forum and just expect everyone to except it, and then when they don't; say: 'it is just my opinion'

So they were not big on SR and they were more into time rather then balls faced, I can still compare them, and as it is impossible to line up players from 100 years ago and pit them against players of now, then it is just going to be my opinion

As for prefering to watch the latter pair, again; your choice

Anyway sick of debating this, you are giving no ground, and we are starting to go around in circles:ph34r:
You're missing the point. But let's move on.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jeez this is a dire argument, and its only been done one hundred times before.

[/thread closed]