• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Hussey v Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Michael Hussey v Shivnarine Chanderpaul - who is better/most valuable?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Who do you rate as better or even the most valuable to their respective teams? Not downplaying Hussey at all, I think he is awesome and an absolute machine, but I am going to go for Chanderpaul in terms of valuableness (is that a word?), because if you took him out of the West Indian line-up, who else is there to replace him and do a good job (no disrespect intended to West Indian fans)? Whereas if you took Hussey out, you have his brother, Brad Hodge, Shane Watson and a list of other blokes who could fill his spot and do quite well. But not just that, how many times has Chanderpaul saved the West Indian arse? To see what he has done with the bat is a pretty good effort.

I know somebody will bring out the stats spreadsheet, but put that aside for one moment, and judge them by you know, watching them play.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know somebody will bring out the stats spreadsheet, but put that aside for one moment, and judge them by you know, watching them play.
The stats spreadsheet's probably more reliable tbh. If you were watching the match today having not seen any players before you'd swear Xavier Marshall was the quality batsman in the lineup.

Anyway, for me, Chanders. If he didn't run out of partners, how many would he score? Sometimes getting him out just seems impossible. Reminds me of Rahul Dravid at his peak, but i don't even remember him going through two years of scoring THAT much.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The stats spreadsheet's probably more reliable tbh. If you were watching the match today having not seen any players before you'd swear Xavier Marshall was the quality batsman in the lineup.

Anyway, for me, Chanders. If he didn't run out of partners, how many would he score? Sometimes getting him out just seems impossible. Reminds me of Rahul Dravid at his peak, but i don't even remember him going through two years of scoring THAT much.
Marshall's quality in everything except long innings. :(

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it'd be impossible to say Hussey is more important for Australia because he isn't. There is enough quality to replace him.

That being said, I think he's the slightly better batsman.

Craig

World Traveller

That is true, but I certainly hope those who are taking part in this thread have seen a fair bit of cricket to put their money where their mouth is and make a call with regards to their thoughts on the subject.

Anyway, geniune question, Ikki, you voted for Hussey (as your right to do so), so what do you consider Hussey over Chanderpaul: Hussey is a better batsman or you consider him more of an asset to the Australian then what Chanderpaul is to the West Indian team?

Craig

World Traveller
naa PSV would be the biggest club in Europe now if we kept him. Maybe.
If you kept Ronaldo (not the Manchester United ****wit) , Jefferson Farfan, Arjen Robben, Mateja Kezman (TBF he was gun there), Mark van Bommel, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Jaap Stam, Bolo Zenden etc. :p

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That is true, but I certainly hope those who are taking part in this thread have seen a fair bit of cricket to put their money where their mouth is and make a call with regards to their thoughts on the subject.

Anyway, geniune question, Ikki, you voted for Hussey (as your right to do so), so what do you consider Hussey over Chanderpaul: Hussey is a better batsman or you consider him more of an asset to the Australian then what Chanderpaul is to the West Indian team?
I think he has a more reliable technique. When he isn't in form I think that'll serve him better than Chanderpaul's. I think he is as much of a run-scorer (well, more so really) than Chanderpaul. Whilst he has, comparatively, rarely, been called upon to save a match - because of the strength of the Aussie batting line-up - I don't think we have a safer and more reliable batsman to score our runs. So assessing them in that aspect is speculative but I think Hussey clearly has the ability. I don't agree with the statement of Hussey is a match winner and not a saver, I think he is actually both and has a wonderful way of changing his innings based on need. He has different gears and it's pretty easy to see and impressive to view.

Chanderpaul of course holds his own very well and is among the very best at the moment too. But, if I could put it simply, I put Hussey in the Ponting/Tendulkar bracket of ability whilst I probably rate Chanderpaul a rung lower.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A much tougher comparison than I thought initially. Both rock-solid in defence, both have many gears and can absolutely flay the bowling should the mood take them. In a close match, I'd put Chanders just ahead in my World XI.

Craig

World Traveller
They showed an interesting stat earlier today that Chanderpaul in his first 50 Tests averaged 39 with two Test centuries, but his next 63, he has scored 17 Test centuries at 57.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Had a problem playing long innings earlier in his career. Could always count on him having some kind of injury. Has worked on his fitness and it's paid off. Also got himself a batting machine at home.

Precambrian

Banned
Chanderpaul of course holds his own very well and is among the very best at the moment too. But, if I could put it simply, I put Hussey in the Ponting/Tendulkar bracket of ability whilst I probably rate Chanderpaul a rung lower.
This.

Redbacks

International Captain
Could someone please explain how easily Australia could replace a batsman with an average of 60+:wacko:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Jaques averages in the high 40s iirc, Hodge mid 50s.

Chanderpaul averages over 100 for the past two years of Test cricket, WAG.