• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Hussey v Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Michael Hussey v Shivnarine Chanderpaul - who is better/most valuable?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Being selfish is a great attribute for a middle order batsman in a side that often struggles.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Have to agree with Jigga here. TBF though it has helped with Jerome Taylor. He's been getting a lot of the strike when batting with Chanderpaul and found out he's got a bit of ability with the bat and decided to work on it.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Have to agree with Jigga here. TBF though it has helped with Jerome Taylor. He's been getting a lot of the strike when batting with Chanderpaul and found out he's got a bit of ability with the bat and decided to work on it.
Yes, finally, some one who agrees with me, must've come from years of watching the Windies and years of witnessing that happening.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Firstly, yes he got out trying to play a big stroke, but this is only because he has been highly criticised for doing the exact opposite and he obviously took note of it and tried to do something different.

Secondly, i wasnt suggesting that he guard Nash away from the strike, i was merely suggesting that the Windies at that time had scored about 2 or 3 from forty balls. I thought Chanders could've made more of an effort to keep the scoreboard ticking, i.e. with singles. Not guard Nash away from the strike. When no one was scoring the pressure was on the debutant not Chanders which caused him to play a rash stroke. With Chanders being the senor batsman he should have took the pressure off him, not from trying to do anything out of the ordinary just scoring singles and twos to keep the scoreboard moving.

BTW it is seeming as if i hate chanders or dont rate him, on the contrary i think he's the best test batsman in the world right now i just think he could be slightly less selfish and slightly less consious of his average.
Nah, i don't think Chanderpaul should alter his game to help Nash out at all. What you're forgetting is that Chanderpaul's wicket is generally all that stands between the opponents and certain victory. Preserving it is more important than any other consideration (like relieving pressure on the batsman at the other end). I don't think it's Chanderpaul who has decided that either, the team will have said to him- you're our most important batsman by a distance, play exactly how you feel comfortable playing and don't worry about the man at the other end (at least until the last 2-3 batsmen). Nash's wicket is barely even relevant in comparison to Shiv's.

In terms of him being selfish, there's something in that (Old Trafford 2007 being my previous example) but i don't think it's deliberate. He doesn't expose weak batsmen too much or the like, he's always happy to refuse singles. He just seems to have genuine trouble changing gears.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Nah, i don't think Chanderpaul should alter his game to help Nash out at all. What you're forgetting is that Chanderpaul's wicket is generally all that stands between the opponents and certain victory. Preserving it is more important than any other consideration (like relieving pressure on the batsman at the other end). I don't think it's Chanderpaul who has decided that either, the team will have said to him- you're our most important batsman by a distance, play exactly how you feel comfortable playing and don't worry about the man at the other end (at least until the last 2-3 batsmen). Nash's wicket is barely even relevant in comparison to Shiv's.

In terms of him being selfish, there's something in that (Old Trafford 2007 being my previous example) but i don't think it's deliberate. He doesn't expose weak batsmen too much or the like, he's always happy to refuse singles. He just seems to have genuine trouble changing gears.
fair enough, i know what you meen about him changing gears, generally when he starts an innings hot he maintains that but when he starts slow he also maintains that. Also, i am not suggesting he change his game dramatically, i just think he is so engrossed in his batting that it can be a negative as well as a positive, because he is tuning out distractions pressures etc. but he is also tuning out who is batting with him and the current situation the game is in and what this situation requires.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said it before, I think the pace Chanderpaul bats at is dictated solely by which mood takes him. I don't think it's very often a conscious decision on his part.