• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Referral System

1. Do you like the referral system? 2. Should Daniel Flynn have been out?

• Total voters

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Just prior to this post, Daniel Flynn has been given out after a referral. I'm not sure how this sits with me. I think the surety of an umpire is an integral part of the decision making process, and that disapears with 3rd umpire referrals.

Opinions?

I ****ed the poll up. Don't vote on Flynn then, just on whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I believe it may have sailed, a mod might be able to edit it. Not too sure. I shall report your post to get their attention immediately. :ph34r:

tooextracool

International Coach
The umpire's role in the game is supposed to be a neutral bystander rather than a player. By being so stuck up in the past so as to accept the umpire as part of the 'decision making process' does not sit well with me because it brings the umpire into the game. Test cricket is a game played between 11 vs 11 and the idea of an umpire being able to influence the results of a game almost as a player by making poor decisions doesnt work.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like it. Feel terribly sorry for Flynn getting out that way on 95, but overall I approve of it.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
tooextracool;1756438By being so stuck up in the past so as to accept the umpire as part of the 'decision making process' does not sit well with me because it brings the umpire into the game.[/QUOTE said:
I agree to an extent, but even the definition of an LBW involves a degree of certainty from the umpire.

How many times have you seen hawkeye showing a ball clipping the top of leg bail and the commentators all agreeing that not out was the correct decision? That is the point we're arguing, whether now that we have technology we should do away with the rule "beyond reasonable doubt" or not.

For example, I can't see any way how an umpire could say that the ball has hit Flynn in line beyond reasonable doubt.

Precambrian

Banned
The referral system doesn't take a lot away from the umpires. The third umpire basically sees whether the ball pitched in line and hit in line, and communicates his "opinion" to the main umpire, who then decides the final outcome. Umpires do not have access to the "expected" path of the ball after hitting batsman, as we spectators have. So rather than being a substitute, it complements the umpires and is welcome. Such things can possible avoid utter farce like the Sydney Test. An those who followed the India in SL series would agree that the overall result would've been different if not for referrals, for Jayawardene got his referrals right 20 times or so.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If a similar thing happens with Vettori bowling and it isn't given upon referral I will throw a ****ing fit.

99*

International Debutant
Wonder how long the support for it will last when Vettori uses it to rout India. :ph34r:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder how long the support for it will last when Vettori uses it to rout India. :ph34r:
They're not doing it in the India series! :(

Just this one, Aus v SA in SA and England v WI according to Tony Cozier.

99*

International Debutant
They're not doing it in the India series! :(

Just this one, Aus v SA in SA and England v WI according to Tony Cozier.
What a ******* joke. It's a trial, play it as much as they can to find out how the reactions are to it.

Polo23

International Debutant
After today (not just because Flynn got given out) i'd really rather prefer if it wasnt used.

I also hate that they pick and choose random series to 'test' it in. Either use it in every series for a set period of time, or don't use it at all. Idiots.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I believe it may have sailed, a mod might be able to edit it. Not too sure. I shall report your post to get their attention immediately. :ph34r:
Nope, you don't have the option to change it to multiple once created unfortnately.