• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul or Dravid?

DingDong

State Captain
I'd say Chanderpaul. Although Dravid has the better average, he never reached the peaks Chanderpaul has over the last two years in his career.

But Dravid will probably go down in history as the better batsman of the two. The reasons for this will probably be the fact that dravid will walk into the All-time Indian XI and Chanderpaul will struggle to get anywhere near the all time WI XI and the Indian hegemony in cricket journalism (same thing happens with a lot of Aussie and English cricketers as well).

So who do you think is better?

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Yea you have to be more specific. Do you mean entire career or just last 2 years? Dravid would obviously be better career batsmen while any batsmen is better in the last 2 years than dravid

Jakester1288

International Regular
In the peak of his form, Dravid by a long shot. Currently though, it's so obvious that it is Chanderpaul who is the better batsmen.

analyst

U19 12th Man
I prefer Chanderpaul at the peak of his powers. IMO, Chanderpaul's concentration is far better than Dravid's and in the next two years he will prove to be a far better player than Dravid, so there will be no need of comparison.While the naysayers will never accept Chanderpaul with his ugly technique, he will definitely go down as one of the finest West Indian players of this generation even when there was so little to celeberate.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I prefer Chanderpaul at the peak of his powers. IMO, Chanderpaul's concentration is far better than Dravid's and in the next two years he will prove to be a far better player than Dravid, so there will be no need of comparison.
Think this is true, but until it happens one can't give any answer other than Dravid.

Paddlesmack

Cricket Spectator
I prefer Chanderpaul at the peak of his powers. IMO, Chanderpaul's concentration is far better than Dravid's and in the next two years he will prove to be a far better player than Dravid, so there will be no need of comparison.While the naysayers will never accept Chanderpaul with his ugly technique, he will definitely go down as one of the finest West Indian players of this generation even when there was so little to celeberate.
Chanderpaul is an awesome player, and I personally am a huge fan.
But Dravid is simply stunning when he's in top form. His concentration is unmatched, his technique perfect and his calculations of match situations are that of a genius. He's a true legend of the game, don't let the last year of cricket influence your views. Remember, this has been Dravid's first ever loss of form since his debut. He's Mr. Dependable!

First post, btw. Hi!

Top_Cat

Chanderpaul is an awesome player, and I personally am a huge fan.
But Dravid is simply stunning when he's in top form. His concentration is unmatched, his technique perfect and his calculations of match situations are that of a genius. He's a true legend of the game, don't let the last year of cricket influence your views. Remember, this has been Dravid's first ever loss of form since his debut. He's Mr. Dependable!
Was in pretty ordinary nick for most of 2000 and immediately before his 180-odd in 2001 against the Aussies, was possibly at risk of being dropped (any Indian fans confirm?). Aside from that, yeah he's been awfully consistent. I was there when he scored that great double ton against the Aussies in Adelaide, flawless. He even hooked a six to bring up his 100!

Welcome to the site, love the handle.

"Smack, smack, Paddlesmack! Gimme a smack and I'll smack ya back!"

Precambrian

Banned
Most people are sadly making judgements of Dravid by the last 2 years form. Had they watched him in action prior to that, there'd been no comments regarding his concentration.

Overall, Dravid is the superior batsman.

Paddlesmack

Cricket Spectator
Dravid is better then 99.9% of batsman playing cricket currently. He is easily the most techinichally sound batsman in the world.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, technically Tendulkar is superior. Defense doesn't mean technical superiority. Dravid has great defensive technique, and great patience and concentration. That comment about Dravid having far less concentration than someone else just raised some flags. I really want to know why or how anyone can think that if they've seen him. It's such an absurd thought that it doesn't make any sense to me. I'd love to hear an explanation.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Word, Chanderpauls concentration over the past 2 years could match Dravid at his peak no doubt, but its not better.

Plus one could argue that Dravid faced more challenging bowling attacks at the peak of his powers.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
as many have opined here, career-wise dravid is well ahead...and it's not because dravid gets into the indian all-time xi and chanders doesn't get into the west indian all-time squad...he has just been much, much more consistent for most of his career...

Uppercut

Huh? The man has five double centuries. How anyone can say, and someone else agree with, a statement that says Dravid has far less concentration than anyone is utterly beyond me.
Was agreeing with "he will definitely go down as one of the finest West Indian players of his generation even when there was so little to celeberate" ftr. Dravid's concentration at his peak was scary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pointless thread. Chanderpaul's clearly been way better the last 2 years; Dravid was clearly way better before that.

analyst

U19 12th Man
Hardly pointless and I still don't think its so clear cut. Chanderpaul since England's last tour to the Windies has been on a steady rise in both ODI's and Tests and is one of the few players in world cricket to have such good statistics for 4 years running. Its amazing people forget that its not just the last two years but its four years that this has been happening, immediately after the test series was done against England, he came to form in the ODI's after not playing in the final test vs England citing exhaustion. He came back in prime form with only his captaincy halting his progress.

I predict Chanderpaul will gradually rise as the years go by and leave his mark as one of the batsmen of this generation. There are not many defensive batsmen in the game and certianly not batsmen with the concentration to change focus from defense to attack and vice versa. Hence I think he is in the right frame of mind. I cannot see a decline at this stage.

Dravid may be going through the same story except he has had one of the longest lean patches for an above average batsmen and its hard to see any path other than the way out even for a batsman with the quality he has.