• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pragyan Ojha vs Murali Kartik - for the Test squad

Which spinner would you choose?

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On the episode of Dial C for Cricket discussing the Indian Test selection, there was a heavy debate about Murali Kartik's exclusion, especially when young Pragyan Ojha was selected ahead of him. Senior coach Vasu Paranjpe said that it's 'inexcusable, thoughtless and foolish' (more or less, he was vehemently opposing that move) and believed that Murali Kartik should have played, no two ways about it. Saba Karim, however, said that the current combination is working, so there's no need to tamper with it.

But then, Kartik was only third in line after Kumble and Harbhajan. Now, with Kumble gone, he should have made the team, according to experts. However, he hasn't been the most successful of spinners, and a younger spinner seems a better bet. Moreover, if Kartik wouldn't be in the XI for two matches, there was no point keeping him in the squad. A youngster would learn a lot from dressing-room appearance.

Things looked like getting out of hand when Murali Kartik himself was on the phone on that show. He said that he's only trying hard to make the team and take wickets wherever he plays. This time, however, he spoke out against his omission, wondering why he was left out even now. He believed that age (he is over 30) shouldn't be a barrier to selection, and he can do a lot better now. From the studio, Vasu said he strongly believed that India should play their best spinners, while Karim, not too supportive, politely tried to convince Kartik about the selection and encouraged him to do better.

So how does it stack up? Kartik is a lot more accomplished, and has more variety and tricks than Ojha, and can also score a few chunks lower down the order. Ojha has age on his side, and he's got a decent economy and can field well. Kartik has a better strike rate, which should count with four bowlers in the XI. Neither are automatic selections at this stage, but to choose one, Kartik seems a valid option in Tests as of now, but not much should be expected of him.

Last edited:

analyst

U19 12th Man
Maybe Irfan Pathan should also be informed aka Bracken style to transform himself, then India would have a more suitable option than these two impostors.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dwta..certainly Ojha is the one with greater ability with the ball.
In what way? He's no better than any of those batsmen-who-can-bowl from other teams. Just bowls flat and offers no turn or bounce. We'd expect a batsman to do that, not a strike bowler.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ten times out of ten would go for neither.
Exactly, but when you have to pick the top three spinners in the country, whom would you pick? Based on Tests played and FC wickets, you have to have Harbhajan, Mishra and Kartik.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Irfan Pathan should also be informed aka Bracken style to transform himself, then India would have a more suitable option than these two impostors.
Yuvraj in wicket-taking form in the recent ODIs should also be an option that way. Ojha is still not yet ready and could use some second XI experience, while Karthik has often been the next best after Kumble and Harbhajan for a long time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harbhajan Singh at the top, then Mishra, but whom do you pick after them?
You don't. Scooch him out on a zimmerframe if need be, but Mishy must play.

I thought Chawla was next in line for tests?

analyst

U19 12th Man
Yuvraj in wicket-taking form in the recent ODIs should also be an option that way. Ojha is still not yet ready and could use some second XI experience, while Karthik has often been the next best after Kumble and Harbhajan for a long time.

It was a poor joke, my appologies :dry:.

I don't rate left arm spinners and I don't have the faith some of the media and fans have in the next generation of spinners. But I do believe it all depends who the captain prefers, spinners need confidence, I can't see Mishra being discarded too soon and I can't see Ojha being discarded off the bench too. Its a done deal. Murali Kartik, a good servant in test cricket, came good far too late.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly, but when you have to pick the top three spinners in the country, whom would you pick? Based on Tests played and FC wickets, you have to have Harbhajan, Mishra and Kartik.
Harbhajan, Mishra, availability of third pacer, Chawla, Parmar - all before I consider either of the SLA bowlers.

Jakester1288

International Regular
In what way? He's no better than any of those batsmen-who-can-bowl from other teams. Just bowls flat and offers no turn or bounce. We'd expect a batsman to do that, not a strike bowler.
I agree with that. Does nothing special with the ball, not much spin, no bounce, not much flight. I can't see him going great guns at test level, but I suppose, he has years to work on it, possibly a big player in the future.

Harbhajan, Mishra, availability of third pacer, Chawla, Parmar - all before I consider either of the SLA bowlers.
The third pacer could be anyone, there is no 3rd pacer in Indian Cricket anymore in my opinion. Ganguly did it for a few years, as first change, before the spinners come on.

RP Singh or Praveen Kumar would probably be the best two for the job, provided the opening bowlers are Sharma and Kahn.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Karthik seems to be better (& more experienced), but I probably would go for neither.

Paddlesmack

Cricket Spectator
It's GOT to be Kartik. He's brilliant, he's got a beautiful dip on his bowling and has a great straighter one, arm ball, and a decent doosra. He's soo much better then Ojha for me, and he's actually been performing in the English domestic circuit as well. No contest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kartik bowled a hell of a lot of overs for precious little success last season, FTR. Though his form the season before, or the one before, can't remember which, was indeed superb.

Precambrian

Banned
Fully AWTA. So gutted to see how M Kartik is so underrated.

Precambrian

Banned
Kartik bowled a hell of a lot of overs for precious little success last season, FTR. Though his form the season before, or the one before, can't remember which, was indeed superb.
He was gun in the ODIs against Aus, whereupon he waltzed into selection oblivion.