• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

pskov

International 12th Man
The draft is now complete!

I will leave a few days (until say Tuesday) for people to email their team description before posting the thread. You don't have to write one if you don't want to I guess. Send them to:

cricketwebdraft@googlemail.com

and make clear what your CW username is.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The draft is now complete!

I will leave a few days (until say Tuesday) for people to email their team description before posting the thread. You don't have to write one if you don't want to I guess. Send them to:

cricketwebdraft@googlemail.com

and make clear what your CW username is.
I'm presuming that email should be "@gmail" and not @googlemail"??

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
pskov did you get my email? I wasn't sure of the length required, so if it's too long feel free to delete anything that doesn't appear too relevant. Please keep the Laker part. :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll send my team's description off over the next day or two. Did we decide on a word limit in the end?

pskov

International 12th Man
I have received 4 so far (including yours NUFAN) and it all have settled on 300 words or so which was he initial suggestion. That length allows you to go over the whole team and what your style will be whilst still being concise to read, so I think it's a good size to stick to.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cool. I wrote mine while being pretty drunk. I hope the teams are judged on the players and not on the writeup, lol.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll have a go later, just not whilst at work, eh ;)

EDIT: Sent now. Hopefully its short enough, I could have gone on for a fair bit longer.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Heres the full description of my team, unfortunately thats way over the word limit so I cut the first paragraph out to send to Pskov - I figured most of it people could gather from looking at my team anyway.

"Bill Ponsford and Charlie Macartney open up for Somerset’s XI. Ponsford averaged an impressive 48 in tests; while Macartney’s final 14 tests of his career yielded him an average of more than 69 batting in the top order. West Indies’ George Headley and Everton Weekes combine for a formidable combination at numbers three and four in the order, followed by the Australian that so impressed even Bradman, Stan McCabe. Andy Flower bats at number six – the talented Zimbabwean wicketkeeper-batsman should flourish with his team mates in the Somerset XI more capable of pulling their weight than his ex-Zimbabwean companions. Mike Procter played just seven tests for South Africa but his first class averages (36 with the bat and 19.5 with the ball) indicate he would’ve been a sensation had South Africa not been exiled throughout most of his career. Ian Botham at eight highlights an extremely strong tail, and his aggressive nature should be of benefit to the side. Shane Warne captains the side, and has Jeff Thomson and Lance Gibbs to throw the ball to. Gibbs, arguably the best spinner produced from the Carribean, should combine well with the attacking attitude of Warne; while Thomson’s best bowling performance in test cricket came at the side’s home ground in Brisbane.

I based the team around plenty of depth in both the batting and bowling departments, and attacking cricketers that, whilst on a simulation might not prove the best would, in real life, have every chance of winning a series against any of the other sides on display. Australians McCabe and Ponsford, picked up late in the draft, were key to ensuring that the side had enough batting talent to back up the West Indian combination at the top of the order. Botham and Proctor were extremely aggressive allround cricketers, and with Thomson’s pace, the side’s bowling unit is hardly likely to take a back step. Shane Warne was voted one of the five cricketers of the century so hardly needs an introduction and his partnership with Gibbs would be an exciting one. Of all wicket keepers, Andy Flower averages the highest so securing a wicketkeeper-batsman of his quality was a huge bonus. Macartney may look ordinary on paper (41.8 with the bat and 27.55 with the ball) but after the Second World War he was immense – possibly a Viv Richards of the 1920s. His bowling (slow left am) allows another option for Warne, who also has McCabe’s medium pace for variety.

The Gabba was chosen as the home ground as Warne, Gibbs and Thomson all performed well in Brisbane throughout their career. With five Australians in the team, playing in front of home crowds for half the side would also be an added bonus. Warne was chosen as skipper because of his aggressive streak and his fearlessness as a leader – to captain a side filled with such talent would, in my opinion, require a captain with supreme confidence in his own ability and the desire to challenge his own team mates to perform at their best. I believe Warne fits this category as good as any captain."

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
I am writing the voting thread now, so last call for anyone to send in their team description.