• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I never knew this, but it does beg the question whether or not Pollock's stature in the game would be as high if those matches were included.
My thoughts exactly mate. An average of 55 is nothing to be sniffed at and he was clearly a superb batsman, but the difference in perception of greatness between an average of 55 and 60 is significant.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Coincidentally, given my Pollock discussion with NUFAN, Hammond is another player who has benefited (statistically at least) from a retrospective change in the status of matches. Had the two 3-day matches against NZ in 1932/33 (during which he scored 563 runs for once out) not been retrospectively upgraded to Test status 15 years later, his Test record would read 6600-odd runs at 54, rather than 7200-odd at 58.

It wouldn't diminish his greatness in my eyes, but it would certainly lessen his status in the view of those who focus more heavily on the pure numbers.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think that no time limit between (say) the 23rd and the 27th and the 30th and the 2nd would be good - or just simple 23rd-2nd.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Two and a bit more hours and Pskov can do his two picks, with MIchael7's. to follow.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm away at the Napier test from 20th through to the 23rd and then away from the 31st to the 5th of January.

Happy to e-mail someone my preferred picks, but won't be happy to be bumped off the grid.

pskov

International 12th Man
It's not summer holidays in the northern hemisphere remember.

Just realised Morgieb is in Oz so scratch that.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure Morgie's an Aussie (Sydney-sider IIRC).

(Almost all English state schools break up tomorrow, FWIW)

pskov

International 12th Man
I'm away at the Napier test from 20th through to the 23rd and then away from the 31st to the 5th of January.

Happy to e-mail someone my preferred picks, but won't be happy to be bumped off the grid.
Sent you an email Heath, reply with a preference list and I'll open it when your pick comes up if you aren't around.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Herb Sutcliffe. Possibly the most under-rated batsman ever.

EDIT: ****. Graeme Pollock then.

EDIT: And now Kapil Dev.

Last edited: