• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

pskov

International 12th Man
An interesting exercise and something fun to do. 12 (depending on interest) people take it in turns to select eleven cricketers from history to make an all star team. At the conclusion of the draft we will have a poll on the forum to declare the victor and also someone could organise a tournament to be simmed out to find a winner that way too.

Rules

1. The draft order will be randomly determined by an online dice roll generator, then proceed in serpentine fashion e.g. say there were three teams drafting, in odd rounds the order would be A, B, C then in the even rounds C, B, A (with team C picking twice in a row). This removes the advantage of some teams always picking earlier.

2. Any player who played in an officially recognised test post-WWI is eligible for selection (post golden age is a good cutoff point to avoid selecting bowlers with ridiculous averages and with little information on them etc.)

3. Teams will be composed of 11 players selected on the basis of a test match side to play in any conditions, against any opposition, anywhere in the world. You don't have to pick two openers, or a spinner or 4 bowlers or even a wicketkeeper if you don't want to! There is no 12th man, so the 11 you select are the ones you have to go to war with regardless.

4. There will be no time limit to make your pick at first but I may implement one at some stage if the majority of participants want to speed up the process. Either way, if you join this you should be able to check the thread and pick at least once a day and ideally much more often. If someone does take too long and there is a general consensus then a drafter can have their pick skipped and will just have to make it up whenever they do turn up.

5. There will also be a concurrent draft for the home ground which will be in reverse order of the player draft. This will be used for any sim that may take place. i.e. If we do a county championship style play everyone home and away league format then the ground you draft will be your home pitch.

6. Any other rules which may become necessary will be added here as they come up.

Post below to register interest! I think that 10-12 will be a good number but if more are up for it then it can probably go up to say 16 before it starts getting unwieldy. Forummers can also feel free to team up and share a team, especially useful if you want to take part but are not sure if you can fulfill the time commitment on your own.

pskov

International 12th Man
Player list:

pskov
Michaelf7777777
Matt79
Somerset
luffy

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
Been done before.
So have threads on Australia no longer being the best in the world and whether test cricket is dying, who is better Atherton or *insert good bastman* :laugh:

I did a search and the only one I could find was in 2004 and didn't even get out of the first round. Besides it's fun anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So have threads on Australia no longer being the best in the world and whether test cricket is dying, who is better Atherton or *insert good bastman* :laugh:

I did a search and the only one I could find was in 2004 and didn't even get out of the first round. Besides it's fun anyway.
Was just pointing out this thing: ALFTA

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup sounds interesting. (Was about to do the smilie face there but remembered about the Survivor challenge)

pskov

International 12th Man
I don't intend on playing, but surely Bradman would be exempt from being chosen?
Didn't think of that, but it would be up to the participants. It would definitely make it fairer, but having anything all-time cricket related without the Don being considered would be a bit weird.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It would be ok, IMO. He'd go first or more unlikely second selection in the first round, then that player wouldn't have another pick until 22, that's a fair while to wait.