• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck's assessment of New Zealand

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The enemy within

New Zealand cricket has been reduced to its present low state chiefly by a lack of cohesion

December 3, 2008

By Peter Roebuck

Bracewell: "too wild for the position" © Getty Images

New Zealand cricket is at low ebb. Although it may not return to the desperate days of the last century - when individual deeds were celebrated in the absence of any hope of victory, a period when Australia deigned to play them once in 30 years - the nation's cricket community is struggling. Curiously it has been reduced not by bad administration or a lack of resources or even formidable rivalry from the muddied oafs but rather by its own want of cohesion. New Zealand's cricket has failed to unite behind the common cause. Over the years it has had more splinter groups than a Maoist party. Until New Zealand cricket works with a single mind it will not climb the rankings. Adopting the old adage, they will either hang together or separately.

Next week New Zealand starts a home series with West Indies, an equally fractured outfit suffering from all manner of malaises. West Indies has plenty of talent but not the sense of service or the work ethic required to reach the top. Instead, present players wander around in a state of miserable bliss whilst yesterday's champions fill their pockets with loot. CLR James and Frank Worrell must look down on both parties with disdain. The highest achievement possible for this team is to climb to seventh in the rankings. Probably it will be too much like hard work. A lot of easy money can be made from Stanford and other 20-over formations.

Accordingly the Kiwis could retain seventh spot on the log, but it'd be a mistake to let a few bright days blur the picture. New Zealand cricket is in decline and an enormous effort will be needed to bring about a revival. Demoralisation is not far away, with aging players hurrying to cash in their chips and write point-scoring books, and callow youths suffering seasons of failure and taking scars into adulthood. New Zealand's most talented cricketers tend to start and finish too early - a luxury a small nation can ill afford.

The team must not be allowed to slide any further. Over the last 25 years New Zealand has been a respected, resolute, intelligent outfit. In those years it has produced several superb cricketers and fielded a number of highly regarded sides. Often the players were caricatured as a craggy lot, inclined to chew gum and frustrate opponents, but they played a hard game and never gave up. Now and then a champion emerged - Richard Hadlee, Glenn Turner, Martin Crowe and, almost, Chris Cairns, but mostly the Kiwis lived on their wits. As a rule the sides were a distinctive mixture of dedicated professional and maverick. Always the characters - blockers or dashers, drinkers or thinkers, were writ large.

As far as bowling was concerned, they kept a niggardly length, and with a few notable exceptions were as menacing as a jam sandwich. Dibbly dobblies were the main fare on offer, inviting deliveries that meandered towards the other end with the sort of wan smile that has such a powerful effect upon red-blooded batsmen. Ewen Chatfield, Willie Watson and Martin Snedden were canny, unflagging fast-mediums capable of pinning down even the most commanding players. Gavin Larsen, Jeremy Coney and Bev Congdon teased opponents with their lack of pace. On damp tracks with slow bounce, they were a handful. Elsewhere they had the brains and cheek needed to upset batsmen.

As far as batting was concerned, New Zealand famously put a high price on their wickets. Now and then fieldsmen felt obliged to enquire whether a Kiwi batsman had breathed his last. John Parker, Mark Richardson, Bruce Edgar and Bev Congdon could be included in the honourable role of sticks in the mud whose obdurate defences blunted many a sharp attack. Although seldom the prettiest to watch, these rugged practitioners put runs on the board. It is hard to imagine them batting as loosely as did their successors down under recently, when wickets were thrown away like hats at Armistice. Indeed the only encouraging sign to emerge for the second Test match was the witty blog posted by Iain O'Brien, an honest seamer with a self-effacing sense of humour.

New Zealand cricket lacks the powerful idea that scorns pettiness. In a small nation particularly, it is possible to want too much. It is also hard to avoid backbiting

New Zealand has an identity and a strong history. Unfortunately it also has an ability to lose focus. All sorts of arguments can break out, between north and south, rural and urban, past and present, critic and player, coach and captain; and most are publicly aired. Perhaps it is because the pool of talent is not deep enough to prevent heads swelling or differences growing. New Zealand rugby is bound together by the idea of the All Blacks and their haka. Everything else shrivels besides this great tradition. New Zealand cricket lacks the powerful idea that scorns pettiness. And even the All Blacks can lose their way at the critical moments. In a small nation particularly, it is possible to want too much. It is also hard to avoid backbiting.

It was not so much the defeat in Australia that told the tale as the nature of the defeat. Not long before, New Zealand was hard pressed to beat Bangladesh. Had Daniel Vettori switched sides, the weak Bangladeshis might have won. Simply, New Zealand lacked resolution and technique. The bowling was presentable - the pacemen persevered and the captain dropped his spinners on a length - but the batting was woeful. It was astonishing to see so many batsmen caught in the covers. The Australians were grateful. After all, they had a few troubles of their own.

New Zealand needs to form a strong group of elders dedicated to the task of restoring the national cricket team. So many mistakes have been made. The appointment of John Bracewell was chief among them. Determined to impose himself but lacking the skills required to guide players of different ages and dispositions, he broke up the team and drove players away before their time was up. The last thing an experienced side needs is an avid controller at the helm. As a result of the various upsets, Stephen Fleming and others walked away prematurely. Australians can dump players of that calibre once signs of deterioration have been detected. Not that it is easy to persuade veterans to retain fitness, ambition and devotion once they start to drift. Apart from anything else the temptations of the ICL and the IPL have a strong appeal to cricketers nearing retirement, whose wages have been relatively modest. All the more reason to make them feel appreciated.

At least Bracewell wanted the job. New Zealand and West Indies cricket suffer from a plethora of past players aware that they can make a better and easier living as observers of the game. Rather than fighting this fact the Kiwis may need to recognise it. After all, Allan Border and Mark Taylor work for TV companies while also serving as directors of Cricket Australia. Merv Hughes combines his duties as a selector with leading tour parties and speaking at lots of functions. CA takes the pragmatic view that conflicts of interest of this sort cannot be avoided if one is to not waste a vast amount of cricketing knowledge.

Fleming left too early. New Zealand needs to make its senior players feel more wanted © Getty Images

New Zealand's most obvious mistake in recent times was backing down over Shane Bond. Apparently, the country's fastest bowler had obtained clearance from his board to play ICL. Reassured that his international career was not imperilled by signing, Bond put his moniker on the dotted line. But the BCCI insisted that ICL players must be outlawed, and NZ Cricket caved in. Of course, the financial stakes were high but NZ Cricket had given its word. It ought rather to have cancelled the game for a year than backed down in the face of intimidation. Instead they sent a message to all players: Look after yourselves.

At least officials stood firm on the appointment of a new coach. Various candidates wanted to be able to withdraw for a bit to take up lucrative 20-over contracts with franchises in India. No such license was given. New Zealand needs to keep thinking along those lines. Coaching a national team is an important position and not to be bestowed upon the distracted.

Above all, New Zealand cricket needs to recover its strength of mind. Bracewell's departure will help, for he was too wild for the position. But he was not to blame for the weak batting in Adelaide or the fact that too many capable players have too easily swapped New Zealand's silver for the gold available on the subcontinent. A powerful plan must be put in place, with intelligent leadership, improving facilities, and pride taken in every victory. New Zealand cricket needs to be happy.

Over the years New Zealand's cricketers often overperformed. Under astute captains like Coney or Stephen Fleming, or when a touch of greatness was added to a canny outfit, they were hard to beat. Had the team not so foolishly refused to play in Kenya, they might have won the 2003 World Cup. But the self-destructive streak was never far away.

Above all, New Zealand prospers when the entire community gets behind the captain and his team. Anything else is an indulgence.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/380440.html

Athlai

Not Terrible
Strange how we became one of the best one day teams in the world in that period too. Way over the top I think.

masterblaster

International Captain
There has to be better batsmen in NZ other than How, Redmond and Flynn. There has to be. I've heard good things about Greg Hay and Neil Broom but never seen them play. Are they any good? Surely better than the likes of How, Redmond and Flynn?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hay and Broom are middle order batsmen I think. In terms of openers I doubt you will find better openers then How. Redmond from what I hear is one par with the rest, considering the likes of Cunnigham, Papps and James Marshall have played there before. Would give Hay a run ahead of Flynn if his stats are more then an illusion. Though Moles is meant to be baised to ND players so Flynn might get another run.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There has to be better batsmen in NZ other than How, Redmond and Flynn. There has to be. I've heard good things about Greg Hay and Neil Broom but never seen them play. Are they any good? Surely better than the likes of How, Redmond and Flynn?
No. We have a population of 4 million and as an after thought for sport the game of cricket, watched by people getting pissed waiting for the rugby guys to start bashing into each other again.

There's not much money in it, and thusly not much invested. Despite this, we've had some exciting talents come through the ranks - and still coming through - but the simple fact is, right now, we don't have world class players. hell, even in the 80s at our peak we had 1 world class batsman and 1 world class bowler, and a bunch of guys who would fight as hard as possible to make a contribution.

These days we'd probably just have the one world class bowler and a bunch of guys who expect the other guy next to him to pick up the slack.

Basically, we're at a low ebb, but it's starting to curve up. Let's talk about this in 5 years time, I'm confident we'll have improved immensely by then.

masterblaster

International Captain
No. We have a population of 4 million and as an after thought for sport the game of cricket, watched by people getting pissed waiting for the rugby guys to start bashing into each other again.

There's not much money in it, and thusly not much invested. Despite this, we've had some exciting talents come through the ranks - and still coming through - but the simple fact is, right now, we don't have world class players. hell, even in the 80s at our peak we had 1 world class batsman and 1 world class bowler, and a bunch of guys who would fight as hard as possible to make a contribution.

These days we'd probably just have the one world class bowler and a bunch of guys who expect the other guy next to him to pick up the slack.

Basically, we're at a low ebb, but it's starting to curve up. Let's talk about this in 5 years time, I'm confident we'll have improved immensely by then.
Lets hope so mate. Love NZ cricket and wish them nothing but the best.

GGG

State Captain
I agree with some of his statements, but has he been following NZ cricket closely? We have always had periods of direness, remember our centenary season, I believe our current team could beat that era of players, Brian Young, Murphy Sua, Kerry Walmsley, Darrin Murray, Blair Hartland *shiver*. With the average age of the guys in their mid 20's plus the up and coming talent I haven't been as excited about the future of NZ cricket in a long time.

Uppercut

No!

Barely anyone is any good when they first play international cricket. Because NZ have so many new-ish players that fact's more obvious than it usually is.

Far better than chopping and changing hoping you find someone who takes to it immediately is sticking to someone who you feel has the ability and attitude to come good and giving him an extended run in the side. It's only starting to pay off with McCullum, once he gets his innings pacing and shot selection right he'll be a quality all-rounder. It could be a few years before Redmond and Flynn become quality test players, indeed they might never do so at all, but sticking with them is a better policy than chopping and changing every time they aren't quite up to scratch.

Of those mentioned, the one I'm most concerned about is Jamie How. He's improved, yes, but i can't believe he'll have a career as a test opener without a single back-foot shot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He does alright off his back foot, certainly in the shorter form of the game. Guy has a tight technique and I think he just never gets comfortable in Test cricket. Certainly has those shots in his arsenal.

Uppercut

He does alright off his back foot, certainly in the shorter form of the game. Guy has a tight technique and I think he just never gets comfortable in Test cricket. Certainly has those shots in his arsenal.
Hope you're right, i rather like the guy. Not sure whether it's nerves or what, but he gets forward too much to give himself a chance against real speed in tests.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I dont think we are that far below what we normally are. Ive been quite surprised actually. We competed well in Brisbane and got hammered in Adelaide. Isnt that what we normally do?.

I doubt it will be 5 years for us to pick up, Ill say 3 or 4 series and we should be where we normally were. Ryder, and Taylor to take over from Fleming and Astle. Oram+ Franklin will give us a strong lower order and allrounders like we normally have. Vettori is Vettori,. We probably just need one decent opener like Richardson or Turner, a slightly improved bowling attack to collectively add up to what we lose with Bond and we're basically there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel the top order just needs more experience and patience and we probably need one genuine quick to complement our seamers. I don't think it's too dire as Roebuck is suggesting..I don't think he's ever come across and watched a season of NZ domestic cricket to exactly know what's going on.

A few years ago, we had the same opener issues as we do right now..the only difference was, no one in domestic cricket was scoring centuries. At the moment, there's about 3 or 4 guys carving out consistent runs and at least giving the selectors something to think about.

Uppercut

Interestingly, Vettori's bowling average without Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is 38.1.

39.9 in the opponent's second innings.

Natman20

International Debutant
Interestingly, Vettori's bowling average without Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is 38.1.

39.9 in the opponent's second innings.
That would largely be based on his time at the beginning of his career though wouldn't it? I think he has been quite effective with major teams in the past. He was on top of Oz team for a while a couple years ago. Looked quite uninspired during the last test for a period though bowling outside leg.