Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Indies to tour England n 2009

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline

West Indies to tour England n 2009

The West Indies have apparently agreed to play a Test and ODI series against England in place of the collapsed Zimbabwe tour, in place of Sri Lanka, who had been the initial replacements.

As far as the crcinfo article goes it frees up the Sri Lanka players to go and make their fortunes n the IPL and sorts out the issue of that nicely however, aren't some of the West Indies players also intendng to be making their forune in the same IPL. Does this put paid to all hopes that English players will be allowed to take part in the IPL or does this mean that both sides will field rather weakened sides? If that is the case why not offer the matches to the Netherlands for example. They will not require a 100% strong England side
    to beat and they could use the extra preparation for the World T20 championships, as well as the money and leverage of the ODI series against a full member of the ICC for sponsorship purposes.
    Last edited by andruid; 03-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

England will not field a weakened team.

The players are under contract and the ECB has a contract with SKY for these Tests.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    England will not field a weakened team.

The players are under contract and the ECB has a contract with SKY for these Tests.
    So No IPL for KP..., still it was an opportunity to spread the love ODI wise lost.

I don't see Chris Gayle having a problem skipping the IPL, now that he's made his million in the Stanford game. Sarwan might be iffy. Did Bravo play in the Stanford game? I don't imagine anyone other than these three are contracted IPL players from the West Indies?

Chanderpaul too. Ironically in the same team as other thumping batsmen such as Dravid and Kallis.

Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post
    Chanderpaul too. Ironically in the same team as other thumping batsmen such as Dravid and Kallis.
    Ha! Did he get a game? A line up of Jaffer, Dravid, Kallis, Chanderpaul must have been a mouth watering sight

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Ha! Did he get a game? A line up of Jaffer, Dravid, Kallis, Chanderpaul must have been a mouth watering sight
    Yeah! I'm not sure if he played, though, I imagine he did. Only reason I heard about it was the owner of the Bangalore team basically had a hissy fit mid-season because his team was doing so poorly and blamed it on Dravid for selecting such a team.

Sadly enough, the Deccan (Hyderabad) team with such hotshots as Gilchrist, Symonds, Gibbs, Styris and Afridi did even worse than Bangalore.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Wasn't this announced like 3 months ago?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Another pointless, meaningless two-Test series coming up. What is the point ? From an England perspective, a little bit of practice before the Ashes. A general waste of time for everyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Another pointless, meaningless two-Test series coming up. What is the point ? From an England perspective, a little bit of practice before the Ashes. A general waste of time for everyone though.
    Excellently put.

An Australian tour of England deserves a season to itself. And two-Test series are only appropriate against emerging nations. Against India or the West Indies? It's sacrilege.

Want to cut down the amount of superfluous international cricket played? Simple: stop playing this kind of crappy ersatz Test series.

Sadly, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all play way too many 2-test series. I think India has played one 5-test series since 2000 and I don't think SL has ever played a series with more than 3 tests...

Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post
    Sadly, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all play way too many 2-test series. I think India has played one 5-test series since 2000 and I don't think SL has ever played a series with more than 3 tests...
    I wasn't aware of that. I'm astonished. Are either India or SL particularly bothered about this, or are they more concerned that they keep up their quota of interminable bloody ODIs?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Excellently put.

An Australian tour of England deserves a season to itself. And two-Test series are only appropriate against emerging nations. Against India or the West Indies? It's sacrilege.

Want to cut down the amount of superfluous international cricket played? Simple: stop playing this kind of crappy ersatz Test series.
    Sadly, while the seven-Tests-per-season TV contract remains, this will remain.

I hated to see the Pakistan series in 2001 which was just 2 Tests long as well. Sadly, though, it's currently unavoidable.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Excellently put.

Agree with the sentiment, but most notable is the fantastic use of casual German WW1 references.
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I don't see Chris Gayle having a problem skipping the IPL, now that he's made his million in the Stanford game. Sarwan might be iffy. Did Bravo play in the Stanford game? I don't imagine anyone other than these three are contracted IPL players from the West Indies?
    whyy not???when you become a millionaire, you want to be a billionaire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information