• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

End of Quota system in SA??

Langeveldt

Soutie
South Africa to drop the Quota System

Really made my day, have been waiting for this for a while but never believed it was possible.. I think three years is a good amount of time to phase it out, by then, most of the players concerned would not have benifitted/suffered under apartheid as it would have been too long ago.. Brilliant that they are talking about eradicating it at all levels.

Perhaps one day we'll have a non-racial society as well perhaps taking the lead from our sport..

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/380692.html

Precambrian

Banned
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/380692.html

South Africa's controversial quota system will continue for another three years, after which merit-based selection criteria will take over.

The so-called quota system - formally known by Cricket South Africa as the "target transformation policy" - was introduced in 1998 to gain a better balance in the number of non-white players at the highest level of South African cricket. On the surface it has been a success, with Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince and Hashim Amla ranked among the world's best.
Excellent. Though 3 years is a goddamn eon in politics.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, pretty meaningless.

a) A 3 year timeline means nothing. There are no guarantees. Its like me saying "Don't worry baby, Ill take the trash out tomorrow". It means nothing and there are no penalties if it isnt acheived.

b) It is not the decision of Cricket South Africa. Their reps can say whatever they want but it counts for nothing. Quotas are far deeper engrained that what the top guy at CSA says.

If it was a stated change in SA Government policy as well as CSA then Id be a lot happier.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good news! So who is most likely to lose a test spot because of this?
Nobody.. I'm happy that every test first XI player is in there on merit..

If this comes into place, it will have a bigger impact on cricket down the age ranges, where our future lies really.. And our FC competition I think will be on a par with Australia's in a few years time..

Stapel

International Regular
I once gave my firm opinion on the quota system to a South African, here in NL. He pretty much corrected me and persuated me it wasn't all that bad. I guess it is fair to say it was a horrible medicine, but did have its postitive effects too.

Anyway, it seems about right to give it up now.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If it was a stated change in SA Government policy as well as CSA then Id be a lot happier.
I doubt they would be able to make a statement like that without the blessing of the SA government though.. I find it surprising though given that there is discrimination in the work place if you aren't previously disadvantaged.. Mind you, i've got job offers coming out of my ears in SA at the moment so I don't know what to think really

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting Goughy, but i've always been under the impression that quotas was only in the cricket team though, have never heard it mentioned with respect to the football & rugby team??

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting Goughy, but i've always been under the impression that quotas was only in the cricket team though, have never heard it mentioned with respect to the football & rugby team??
Discrimination is ingrained in every facet of life in South Africa.. There are job positions that are advertised, literally, to "blacks only".. In order to address past imbalances as they are called..

Football is a blacks only sport anyway so there are no need for quotas to even things out.. Rugby is an overwhelmingly white sport at National level, so the evidence for transformation is harder to spot.. But it is happening

Precambrian

Banned
I once gave my firm opinion on the quota system to a South African, here in NL. He pretty much corrected me and persuated me it wasn't all that bad. I guess it is fair to say it was a horrible medicine, but did have its postitive effects too.

Anyway, it seems about right to give it up now.
AWTA. It has run it's course

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There are no quotas in football but there certainly are in rugby. It is a massive issue in that sport as it is in cricket.

Quotas exist in every sport that is not black dominated. They do not exist in sports that are black dominated. For example there are no quotas for white people (or others) in the football team but the sailing team/cricket team/rugby team/hockey team etc have quotas for previously disadvantaged people. This extends into business and companies as well.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt they would be able to make a statement like that without the blessing of the SA government though.
Well Ive re-read that article a few times now and it says nothing apart from 'maybe if things happen in a certain way then we will consider changing the rule if the situation merits it and if it fits with what we are trying to do at the time'

There is no commitment to anything. I wouldnt expect anything to change in 3 years.

Just to put the general statement in perspective consider this-

"The decision by the United Cricket Board's general council at the weekend to scrap the quota system at international and provincial level removed a running sore that many coaches and observers felt was adversely affecting the development of South Africa's national team.
Percy Sonn, the Board's president, claimed that the "success" of the quotas had allowed the authorities to move on and select on merit"

The date? 2002 :huh:

These type of statements are often made but little changes. Ill believe it when I see it as there have been too many false dawns in the past. Especially now as 'The Sports and Recreation Act' has recently given the government control over the racial composition over sports teams and the right to interfere and change selections.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's about ****ing time. Selection should be on who's better, not who's darker.

Langeveldt

Soutie
These type of statements are often made but little changes. Ill believe it when I see it as there have been too many false dawns in the past. Especially now as 'The Sports and Recreation Act' has recently given the government control over the racial composition over sports teams and the right to interfere and change selections.
And rugby jerseys :@

Flem274*

123/5
Well, if this happens then that would be good but yeah, I have my doubts that it will.

I just can't see how people just can't get along without having to discrimminate either way. Its only a colour. :(