• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket

Did things change for better or worse in context of Pakistan Cricket.

• The new management has it figured, things are working very well

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Things will only go worse with the way the PCB is doing it

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Too short a time to determine anything.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's certainly time for Shoaib Akhtar to have a re-think regarding how he bowls in ODI's.

Time for a little self-analysis, methinks.

He has an awesome gift - and is just throwing it away.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
warrioryohannan said:
1, Anwar may had a good WC, but how long do you think he would have continued for Pak? In his place Pak have found a very exciting player in Hafeez.

2, Shoaib Malik has taken Saqlain's place and is doing very well, Saqlain might still be considered for test matches .
1/ If there were no plans to continue with Anwar then they shouldn't have picked him for the WC IMO. It's unfair to him and I for one would feel cheated.
2/ Saqlain is a better ODI bowler IMO. He's one of the top ODI bowlers overall - spinners and seamers. The only place where Malik warrants a place over Saqlain is batting but Saqqy does so much with the ball to make up in this respect.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
You Yes, not the duck...

Shoaib has a disease of pitching it too far up. The line doesn't falter that much until the tonk has been going for some time.

So the rethink is only that keep it at a length, not spoon-feed the delivery into the batsman's mouth. Literally.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm wondering what Saqlain has done to warrent this exclusion, he's their best spinner, no doubt, so why not pick him? I know this is Pakistan we are talking about but he's not even old! He's got many years yet. They rarely played him in the World Cup too. Puzzling.

Rich2001

International Captain
Gotchya said:
You Yes, not the duck...

Shoaib has a disease of pitching it too far up. The line doesn't falter that much until the tonk has been going for some time.

So the rethink is only that keep it at a length, not spoon-feed the delivery into the batsman's mouth. Literally.
I think that Shoaib just needs to at times forget about bowling 100mph+ and just get it in a consistance line and lenght (I mean bowling at 85-90 is still going to give the batsman a tough time).

During the last ODI he continually tried to bowl fast and was spraying it all over the show, and giving the batsman easy runs when control and run saving was the order of the day.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think Saqlain was dropped b'coz sometimes he played for Surrey when there were matches for Pakistan. I watched a show in which Aamir Sohail was there and he said that he wanted players who worked for the team rather than for themselves. So maybe some were dropped for ageing reasons and some for disciplinary.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I dont know, maybe its an insecurity inside maybe? If he doesnt bowl fast enough he isn't good enough? Thats just not right, and Javed or some other fella with a level head ought to have told him so.

There is a definite urge to bowl fast ALL the time. Bowling swiftly is acceptable, especially in later years of his career when the pace will be gone.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the one.

I think it's a 'macho' thing - a bit like owning a Ferrari. Speed's the thing.

There are occasions when just taking a bit off the ball is preferable.

But then again, I used to like Devon Malcolm.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1/ If there were no plans to continue with Anwar then they shouldn't have picked him for the WC IMO. It's unfair to him and I for one would feel cheated.

In the WC you need experiance players (during which there is no time for experiment) and most of the teams after WC undergoes through a build up phase, as Pak is going through now.

AS for being cheated, how can he be cheated? He had all along been saying that all he wanted to do was to play for Pak till WC after which he would retire from international cricket, but for some strange reason the guy has changed his mind.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
warrioryohannan said:
AS for being cheated, how can he be cheated? He had all along been saying that all he wanted to do was to play for Pak till WC after which he would retire from international cricket, but for some strange reason the guy has changed his mind.
I guess I'm mistaken because I didn't read those interviews.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that pakistan cricket perhaps needs a change to the Domestic competition

I would suggest having 8 teams with all the best Pakistani players availble and play 7 matchs Have promotion and relgation that would mean more teams?

And have a national one day competition with League and Knockout