• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's 2 bowling actions

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else noticed that Fred has 2 different bowling actions?

In one - his standard bowling action - his "gather" brings his right arm up by his ear in a pretty conventional style before bringing it down again.

In the other, he basically windmills his arms without a gather.

I've no idea whether the second bowling action is an attempt to bowl a different kind of delivery, whether it's an attempt to put the batsman off, or whether he does it just because he can.

Anyone else noticed this? Anyone know why he does it?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I've noticed it and not 100% sure why. What I do know is that the windmill usually results in a wicket or a false stroke at least because it's usually a couple of yards quicker or hooping in-swinger. Must be the effort ball

Shaun Tait has a similar thing too;

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=biUoWi92_Pk

Check out the difference between all the other wicket balls and the one he gets Phil Jaques with. In his case, there seems to be less of a wind-up and as you can see in the video, it was a real effort ball and, well, it speaks for itself (sucks to be Jaques). I've noticed, again, when he bowls that ball, it seems nastier to face. He badged Doropolous a couple of weeks ago with it. Doubt Zoolander even saw it, was so bloody quick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure about you guys, but the second "windmill" delivery is one I've only ever noticed him bowl once every 5 or 6 games, randomly.

So unless we're talking about a different change (meaning thus that he'd have three different actions) I'd say the changed action was purely to try one more thing to change-up.

I myself do that from time to time - for no real reason other than to make the batsman think "eh, what's going on there?" I bowl with a notably different bowling action. I'm hoping to add maaaaaaany more variations to my bowling next season.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure about you guys, but the second "windmill" delivery is one I've only ever noticed him bowl once every 5 or 6 games, randomly.

So unless we're talking about a different change (meaning thus that he'd have three different actions) I'd say the changed action was purely to try one more thing to change-up.

I myself do that from time to time - for no real reason other than to make the batsman think "eh, what's going on there?" I bowl with a notably different bowling action. I'm hoping to add maaaaaaany more variations to my bowling next season.
He does it very regularly, perhaps not every over but maybe every other over, and certainly in every spell. It's the sort of thing the Sky half-wits should be picking up and analysing but no-one ever has.

As for putting batsmen off, I have a special trick of my own. Just before beginning my run up I will extend my left arm straight, either horizontally or above my head, and keep it there throughout the delivery. And I try to give the ball a little bit of air. The result is - almost invariably - that the batsman gets angry, has a crazed hoick and ends up getting out. I reckon that my career strike rate for this particular delivery is something like 1 wicket in every 2 or 3 balls, literally. I daren't do it more often though because one of these days I will get my head kicked in by the opposition.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That, Mr Z, I would like to see - let us know when the footage is on youtube and provide a link please

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That, Mr Z, I would like to see - let us know when the footage is on youtube and provide a link please
No can do. Not suitable for family viewing. And I don't want the reputational damage to impair my prospects of an IPL slot.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm - sounds like the sort of behaviour that, taken to extremes, could bring a man's sportsmanship into question - you have to tell the umpire if your changing from round to over, left to right or over to under - I'm not convinced whirling your wrong arm without warning shouldn't attract a similar sanction

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As for putting batsmen off, I have a special trick of my own. Just before beginning my run up I will extend my left arm straight, either horizontally or above my head, and keep it there throughout the delivery. And I try to give the ball a little bit of air. The result is - almost invariably - that the batsman gets angry, has a crazed hoick and ends up getting out. I reckon that my career strike rate for this particular delivery is something like 1 wicket in every 2 or 3 balls, literally. I daren't do it more often though because one of these days I will get my head kicked in by the opposition.
My advice to bowlers - be they young or old - is always that a shock weapon ceases to be a shock weapon when it doesn't shock the batsmen because they're so used to it.

I reckon you've got your dosage about right.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon it's about time both of those two used that as an av simualtaneously.

(If, that is, Mr. z can part with his, which UIMM he's yet to do in his time on CW.n)
I'm sorry to say that I've disabled both avatars and signatures because they detract from the purity of the cricket chat. Besides if I were to change I would restrict myself to Sussex greats. I'm considering Ed Joyce but that may be premature. Watch this space.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorry to say that I've disabled both avatars and signatures because they detract from the purity of the cricket chat. Besides if I were to change I would restrict myself to Sussex greats. I'm considering Ed Joyce but that may be premature. Watch this space.
How about this one?

Oh how i love Boyd...