• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Test captains becoming too defensive and too early?

Are Test captains becoming too defensive?

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Captains have definetly become more defensive over the years. Many captains have determined that if they stem the run rate they will eventually get wickets particularly against teams like Australia and India which is a questionable strategy and has worked to some extent but it involves great discipline.

I've also noticed that many captains show too much respect to a top order batsman when he is batting with a tail ender. I dont understand the reasoning behind this, for on occasion someone is on 20 and batting with a number 9 and you'll see no slips and the field well spread to offer an easy single which invariably the batter usually takes. This allows players to easily get themselves set. Ponting is particularly guilty of this ploy and hes not the only one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a sweeper however i do consider negative, you couldn't ever consider getting a wicket there, and any batsmen worth a pinch of **** will just keep punching it out there for single after single.
Not really. To continuously aim to hit the ball through the covers - for single or boundary - is extremely risky and will almost certainly result in you losing your wicket before too long.

And you don't often get catches in the covers or at mid-off in Test cricket either. Most catches are in the slips. That doesn't mean slips are the only fielders that should be placed in Test cricket. You must stop runs to the maximum extent possible as well as looking to take wickets.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm more concerned about bowling outside leg stump by spinners withthe keeper standing outside leg than I am putting asweeper anywhere, tbh. Not because it doesn't work, but because it's just boring to watch IMO.

And yes, captains have becaome more defensive, but teams are scoring quicker now, boundaries are in with the ropes and outfields are generally like ice rinks.

The Ken Legends

Cricket Spectator
it was a tactic which won the game, the australian batsmen just weren't able to counter it, just because they had 8-1 doesn't mean there were no gaps, it might have looked ugly and boring, but glenn mcgrath made a career on bowling boring
At least Glenn Mcgrath bowled at or just a fraction outside off stump.
He never bowled 2-3 feet outside the stumps,he was too good for that his record speaks for itself. Tell me an indian opening bowler past or present that had a record to equal.

I do have the utmost respect for Kapil Dev.

Precambrian

Banned
At least Glenn Mcgrath bowled at or just a fraction outside off stump.
He never bowled 2-3 feet outside the stumps,he was too good for that his record speaks for itself. Tell me an indian opening bowler past or present that had a record to equal.

I do have the utmost respect for Kapil Dev.
Mitchell Johnson consistently bowled 2 feet outside off stump in the last tour,

Craig

World Traveller
But it fetched India 8 Aussie wickets on a flat pitch for just 180 odd runs, and India won the match.

No tactic is defensive if it contributes to a team's victory.
Just because a team win's doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm more concerned about bowling outside leg stump by spinners withthe keeper standing outside leg than I am putting asweeper anywhere, tbh. Not because it doesn't work, but because it's just boring to watch IMO.
Yeah, it's nothing cricket. A seamer bowling outside off is one thing; a spinner bowling outside leg quite another.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Captains have definetly become more defensive over the years. Many captains have determined that if they stem the run rate they will eventually get wickets particularly against teams like Australia and India which is a questionable strategy and has worked to some extent but it involves great discipline.

I've also noticed that many captains show too much respect to a top order batsman when he is batting with a tail ender. I dont understand the reasoning behind this, for on occasion someone is on 20 and batting with a number 9 and you'll see no slips and the field well spread to offer an easy single which invariably the batter usually takes. This allows players to easily get themselves set. Ponting is particularly guilty of this ploy and hes not the only one.
i hate seeing that

Not really. To continuously aim to hit the ball through the covers - for single or boundary - is extremely risky and will almost certainly result in you losing your wicket before too long.

And you don't often get catches in the covers or at mid-off in Test cricket either. Most catches are in the slips. That doesn't mean slips are the only fielders that should be placed in Test cricket. You must stop runs to the maximum extent possible as well as looking to take wickets.
surely you didn't think i meant he punch every ball through that gap, and when the ball isn't moving, i don't see a problem taking out a slip and having a short cover/midwicket for that scooped shot, that's good tactics

And yes, captains have becaome more defensive, but teams are scoring quicker now, boundaries are in with the ropes and outfields are generally like ice rinks.
i hate that leg side tactic, did you see vettori get wided for it ? mind you, nothing stopping the sweep shot or a flick round the corner for a single, only fools like mark waugh genuinly fall for it.

Mitchell Johnson consistently bowled 2 feet outside off stump in the last tour,
and in every game he plays, yet he gets wickets, amazing

Yeah, it's nothing cricket. A seamer bowling outside off is one thing; a spinner bowling outside leg quite another.
for some reason bowling outside off is considered less negative than outside leg...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
surely you didn't think i meant he punch every ball through that gap
You said "keep punching it out there" - ie, do it repeatedly. Whether it's every ball or once every 3 balls, the element of risk is still huge.
and in every game he plays, yet he gets wickets, amazing
Not really - the last 2 games are the first of his career where he's gotten hauls of great note.
for some reason bowling outside off is considered less negative than outside leg...
That's because outside leg is much harder to reach than outside off.

It's only bowling way outside off that's as hard to reach as bowling just a little big leg-side of the pads.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
You said "keep punching it out there" - ie, do it repeatedly. Whether it's every ball or once every 3 balls, the element of risk is still huge.

Not really - the last 2 games are the first of his career where he's gotten hauls of great note.

That's because outside leg is much harder to reach than outside off.

It's only bowling way outside off that's as hard to reach as bowling just a little big leg-side of the pads.
your mother used to iron your jocks and socks didn't she ?