Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Are Test captains becoming too defensive?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 47.06%
  • No

3 17.65%
  • Bayonne offering Matt Giteau a $10m contract? Are they nuts?

6 35.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Test captains becoming too defensive and too early?

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Captains have definetly become more defensive over the years. Many captains have determined that if they stem the run rate they will eventually get wickets particularly against teams like Australia and India which is a questionable strategy and has worked to some extent but it involves great discipline.

I've also noticed that many captains show too much respect to a top order batsman when he is batting with a tail ender. I dont understand the reasoning behind this, for on occasion someone is on 20 and batting with a number 9 and you'll see no slips and the field well spread to offer an easy single which invariably the batter usually takes. This allows players to easily get themselves set. Ponting is particularly guilty of this ploy and hes not the only one.
    i hate seeing that

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not really. To continuously aim to hit the ball through the covers - for single or boundary - is extremely risky and will almost certainly result in you losing your wicket before too long.

And you don't often get catches in the covers or at mid-off in Test cricket either. Most catches are in the slips. That doesn't mean slips are the only fielders that should be placed in Test cricket. You must stop runs to the maximum extent possible as well as looking to take wickets.
    surely you didn't think i meant he punch every ball through that gap, and when the ball isn't moving, i don't see a problem taking out a slip and having a short cover/midwicket for that scooped shot, that's good tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'm more concerned about bowling outside leg stump by spinners withthe keeper standing outside leg than I am putting asweeper anywhere, tbh. Not because it doesn't work, but because it's just boring to watch IMO.

And yes, captains have becaome more defensive, but teams are scoring quicker now, boundaries are in with the ropes and outfields are generally like ice rinks.
    i hate that leg side tactic, did you see vettori get wided for it ? mind you, nothing stopping the sweep shot or a flick round the corner for a single, only fools like mark waugh genuinly fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Mitchell Johnson consistently bowled 2 feet outside off stump in the last tour,
    and in every game he plays, yet he gets wickets, amazing

Yeah, it's nothing cricket. A seamer bowling outside off is one thing; a spinner bowling outside leg quite another.
    for some reason bowling outside off is considered less negative than outside leg...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rant0r View Post
    surely you didn't think i meant he punch every ball through that gap
    You said "keep punching it out there" - ie, do it repeatedly. Whether it's every ball or once every 3 balls, the element of risk is still huge.
    and in every game he plays, yet he gets wickets, amazing
    Not really - the last 2 games are the first of his career where he's gotten hauls of great note.
    for some reason bowling outside off is considered less negative than outside leg...
    That's because outside leg is much harder to reach than outside off.

It's only bowling way outside off that's as hard to reach as bowling just a little big leg-side of the pads.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

You said "keep punching it out there" - ie, do it repeatedly. Whether it's every ball or once every 3 balls, the element of risk is still huge.

Not really - the last 2 games are the first of his career where he's gotten hauls of great note.

That's because outside leg is much harder to reach than outside off.

It's only bowling way outside off that's as hard to reach as bowling just a little big leg-side of the pads.
    your mother used to iron your jocks and socks didn't she ?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Nah.

I do still have to dissuade her from ironing my pillowcases though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information