• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Australia stands to lose millions following Champions League postponement

Precambrian

Banned
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/t20champions/content/current/story/380073.html

Cricket Australia has lost "millions of dollars" from the postponement of the Champions League Twenty20 and the teams involved in the tournament are also worried about what they have missed out on as a result of the Mumbai terrorist attacks. Victoria and Western Australia are not guaranteed of taking part in the next event, which offers US$2 million to the winner, unless they reach the final of the local competition again in January.

Victoria, who have won the trophy three years in a row, have the right to be most upset at the implications of the delay and may look to the governing body of the Champions League for compensation. "Certainly we have incurred some costs with respect to the competition this time around," Tony Dodemaide, Cricket Victoria's chief executive, told News Limited papers. "Obviously we are right on the verge of going over and had put everything in place. It's also fair to say having confirmed the Champions League and expectations of revenue, we adjusted the alterations accordingly."

James Sutherland, the Cricket Australia chief executive, said the events in Mumbai had everyone "left in tears". "The planned approach is a 12-month postponement," he said in the Sydney Morning Herald. "So what that means is whoever the champion of the day is, they'll get to play in the next event."

Sutherland said "we're all out of pocket" and there was "no money floating around for anyone as a result of this". "[CA is losing] quite a lot," he said. "It's millions of dollars. Again, this whole issue and all of the problems in Mumbai are bigger and greater than cricket. We fully understand that these things happen. Unfortunately that's how it is. There are a lot of people worse off than us."

The US$5 million tournament was supposed to begin on Wednesday. Teams from England, South Africa, India and Pakistan are also involved in the tournament and a meeting is planned for December 8 to discuss potential dates for the contest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We all know that terrorists are evil beings. And also that killing people is merely the main facet of the thing. It causes disruption to many, many passages of life to many people, some of which would really be totally unforeseen.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
am i the only one who doesn't give a flying **** about this ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably. Most people recognise that big money-spinners like this are neccessary.

And BTW, avoiding the filter isn't the best idea.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yeah but how much does it affect cricket itself ? world cricket isn't short of a quid really, and it's just a mickey mouse tourney.

bit hard to break the filter evading habit, i do it all the time at work

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
yeah but how much does it affect cricket itself ? world cricket isn't short of a quid really, and it's just a mickey mouse tourney.
Any chance to make more is always taken gladly by those with; and there remain a vast percentage who are without.
bit hard to break the filter evading habit, i do it all the time at work
Clearly the rules at your work are a bit different to here then. On CW, you allow the ****s to happen or you get ticked-off, warned, then banned. That's the reality.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Any chance to make more is always taken gladly by those with; and there remain a vast percentage who are without.

Clearly the rules at your work are a bit different to here then. On CW, you allow the ****s to happen or you get ticked-off, warned, then banned. That's the reality.
no one in world cricket will ever be allowed to go broke

and no offence, but i think i will prioritise the work rules over the cricketweb ones

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no one in world cricket will ever be allowed to go broke
The harsh realities of the financial World mean that's a guarantee no-one can give.
and no offence, but i think i will prioritise the work rules over the cricketweb ones
If you want to post on CW, you have to abide by the rules, simple as. Work applies at work; on CW applies on CW.

However, wait until a Mod tells you if you want - I'm just trying to dish-out some friendly advice. I have no enforcement powers.