View Poll Results: On the subject of Malcolm Marshall, do you consider ...

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... he was EITHER the best bowler of all-time OR the second-best after SF Barnes

25 41.67%
  • ... someone other than SF Barnes was better than him

33 55.00%
  • I have no real interest in cricket history so I don't have much of an opinion on him

2 3.33%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider Malcolm Marshall...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Do you consider Malcolm Marshall...

A question I've wondered a few times but never got around to posting a poll on. So vote away, CWers.

(If there's still no poll when you click on the thread then be bloody patient)
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    I've got Marshall rated 5th on my alltime bowlers list.

Behind Murali, Hadlee, Barnes and McGrath.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

School Boy/Girl Captain WhatisRight's Avatar
    i havent watched marshall live but the videos i have seen of his just makes me wonder what it would have been like watching him live. I would definetly have him in the top 2 of my all-time fast bowlers list, which also includes Mcgrath.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Barnes, Hadlee, Marshall

soz Malcolm.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    McGrath uber alles. Well, not Barnes but I don't really consider him competition really.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

in my opinion, he was the greatest fast bowler ever...as to the best bowler ever, well i would put him in a group of 5 that includes hadlee, lillee, murali and barnes....mcgrath just outside of the group...

I'm, unfortunately, not really well-versed in cricket players and how good they were pre-1996 (except Bradman, of course!). So I can't really say where he'd stand over all, but I do consider McGrath as best ever on my list of fast bowlers seen.

I think it's a little difficult to compare cricketers across eras, for obvious reasons. It seems safe to say, though, that both Marshall and Barnes were among the best, if not the best, during their respective careers.

Probably a consideration I would make in answering this question is: was Marshall as integral to WI dominance as McGrath was to Australia's? Certainly seems that way. It is also obvious that the Windies really crumbled following his retirement and many people would claim the same sort of "low" period is hitting/about to hit Aus in the near future even if it probably won't be as dramatic as the slump WI cricket has been experiencing lately.

State Vice-Captain
    Statistically or otherwise, Marshall was the most complete fast bowler ever. Don't know how to rate Barnes as he only played 27 tests. At least Bradman played over 50..

Marshall 1 & Hadlee 2 for mine, although could be a touch of kiwi bias coming into play

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post
    Probably a consideration I would make in answering this question is: was Marshall as integral to WI dominance as McGrath was to Australia's? Certainly seems that way. It is also obvious that the Windies really crumbled following his retirement and many people would claim the same sort of "low" period is hitting/about to hit Aus in the near future even if it probably won't be as dramatic as the slump WI cricket has been experiencing lately.
    Marshall was a better bowler than McGrath but McGrath was more essential to Australia. At least Marshall had worldclass backup and supprting acts in Walsh, Ambrose, Patterson, Holding, etc. With McGrath, his pace backup was Brett Lee and Gillespie, fine bowlers but hardly matchwinners. Just check how the attack suffered overall when he was injured, such as the India tour of 97-98 and the Ashes 2005.

i've heard stories of marshall being near unplayable in the nets in his near 40's when he was coach and his team was struggling, he was unreal, what's even more unreal was how long he spent out of the team waiting for an opportunity.

could bat a bit too

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Don't agree with comparing players across eras, so i'll only say this: Marshall was ****ing good.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I thought Lillee better than MM, but not by much
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    History treats Barnes surprisingly kindly in my view. That he was a very good bowler can’t be doubted but he did get nearly half of his test wickets at less than 10 apiece (and had it not been for Herby Taylor that average would have been considerably less) against a South African side that great grandpa Dickinson would have treated with the same disdain as the current generation treats Bangladesh.

His wickets against Australia (and arguably he missed the series involving the strongest Australian sides of his era) and Yorkshire (who he only bowled against 4 times in championship cricket) cost about 22 and 26 each so rather different

As for Maco he was undoubtedly a great – a shorter man with a magnificent action, terrific pace and a lethal breakback – a latter day Harold Larwood – but not quite as good

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    History treats Barnes surprisingly kindly in my view. That he was a very good bowler can’t be doubted but he did get nearly half of his test wickets at less than 10 apiece (and had it not been for Herby Taylor that average would have been considerably less) against a South African side that great grandpa Dickinson would have treated with the same disdain as the current generation treats Bangladesh.

His wickets against Australia (and arguably he missed the series involving the strongest Australian sides of his era) and Yorkshire (who he only bowled against 4 times in championship cricket) cost about 22 and 26 each so rather different

As for Maco he was undoubtedly a great – a shorter man with a magnificent action, terrific pace and a lethal breakback – a latter day Harold Larwood – but not quite as good
    They were a little funny about picking SF, but all the Aust that faced him had no doubt he was the best. I am just not sure he was a pace bowler

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information