View Poll Results: On the subject of Malcolm Marshall, do you consider ...

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... he was EITHER the best bowler of all-time OR the second-best after SF Barnes

    25 41.67%
  • ... someone other than SF Barnes was better than him

    33 55.00%
  • I have no real interest in cricket history so I don't have much of an opinion on him

    2 3.33%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 196

Thread: Do you consider Malcolm Marshall...

  1. #121
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,188
    Barnes = Chris Harris?
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  2. #122
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    If that were right there'd be no point in studying the history of anything
    That would be true if the only point of reading history is to compare with others...



    We read up on history to learn how things were, to learn of the greats of that time, to learn of another time period when things were different. NOT because I can compare a Barnes to a Marshall to a McGrath... No sir, I hate comparisons unless it is between contemporaries and that's that, for me.


    Marshall is quite obviously amongst the greatest bowlers ever and so is Barnes. I haven't seen either of them live and I am not going to compare. It really doesn't matter to me if X averaged 0.25 lesser than Y when Z was playing in A or whatever.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  3. #123
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Interesting. Did not know that. Thanks for that, AM.

    Also, returning once again to Lillee, 3 tests in one series can hardly be taken as representative.
    Thanks mate, and yes you are 100% right, re- the three Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    That would be true if the only point of reading history is to compare with others...



    We read up on history to learn how things were, to learn of the greats of that time, to learn of another time period when things were different. NOT because I can compare a Barnes to a Marshall to a McGrath... No sir, I hate comparisons unless it is between contemporaries and that's that, for me.


    Marshall is quite obviously amongst the greatest bowlers ever and so is Barnes. I haven't seen either of them live and I am not going to compare. It really doesn't matter to me if X averaged 0.25 lesser than Y when Z was playing in A or whatever.
    Spot on
    You know it makes sense.

  4. #124
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,112
    for the record archie, i am curious to know your choice between marshall and lillee. from the tone of your messages in this thread (and from the references your older posts) i'm assuming you would choose lillee. we both have seen them play in their pomp. i prefer marshall and i think i have explained why (simply put, man for all seasons) tell me why you would choose lillee, or marshall, over the other. just want to know your call, thats all.


  5. #125
    International 12th Man Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,612
    Marshall for me is one of the two greatest pacemen of all time (the other being Glenn McGrath). The main reason that both were great wherever they went against everyone and Mcgrath in particular was outstanding against the very best batsmen and batting lineups of his generation.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

  6. #126
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    for the record archie, i am curious to know your choice between marshall and lillee. from the tone of your messages in this thread (and from the references your older posts) i'm assuming you would choose lillee. we both have seen them play in their pomp. i prefer marshall and i think i have explained why (simply put, man for all seasons) tell me why you would choose lillee, or marshall, over the other. just want to know your call, thats all.
    I have to admit that there is not alot between them. Lillee would be my choice, I think MM had more support from better quality bowlers, which enable them to keep tremendous pressure from both ends at all times. This was not always the case with Lillee, I thought for periods during his career he would have been the only fast bowler from the Aussie line up to be good enough to make the WI side.

    Also Lillee had a much better leg cutter, where MM seemed to rely more on swing, which he could do both ways, although so could Lillee.

    Marshall had a much better yorker, and both had a lethal bouncer, but I just can't see how there could ever have been a better fast bowler then Lillee, and everyone who faced them both or watched them from the commentary box or from the umpires position, rated LIllee the better, which just clinches it for me, but I would be happy to take either one in an all time line up

  7. #127
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,725
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    That would be true if the only point of reading history is to compare with others...



    We read up on history to learn how things were, to learn of the greats of that time, to learn of another time period when things were different. NOT because I can compare a Barnes to a Marshall to a McGrath... No sir, I hate comparisons unless it is between contemporaries and that's that, for me.


    Marshall is quite obviously amongst the greatest bowlers ever and so is Barnes. I haven't seen either of them live and I am not going to compare. It really doesn't matter to me if X averaged 0.25 lesser than Y when Z was playing in A or whatever.
    Good post Agree completely with that.

    As for Marshall vs, Lillee, i can't say who was better but i can say i'd be more terrified of facing Marshall than i would Lillee.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  8. #128
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Good post Agree completely with that.

    As for Marshall vs, Lillee, i can't say who was better but i can say i'd be more terrified of facing Marshall than i would Lillee.
    I know what you mean but still would love to see you in the middle with marshall from one end and lillee from the other. would want to see how you are "less terrified" of lillee.

    coming to think of it, if lillee and marshall are bowling in tandum i would like to see richards and gavaskar take them on. would be a riveting battle.

  9. #129
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    I think he was a great fast bowler, one of the best. I chose option 2 but I'm not sure why...I'd probably put McGrath ahead of him (not on pace obviously) although I'd prefer to watch Malcolm bowl.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  10. #130
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    m
    Posts
    1,767
    1. Barnes
    2. Murali
    3. Marshall

  11. #131
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,725
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    I know what you mean but still would love to see you in the middle with marshall from one end and lillee from the other. would want to see how you are "less terrified" of lillee.
    It's a different scenario. It's like, facing Lillee would be a great honour, like facing an angel. Facing Marshall would be like facing a demon. I imagine i would only be able to see the whites of his eyes .

    None of this is related to my actual chances of getting hurt, of course.

  12. #132
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's a different scenario. It's like, facing Lillee would be a great honour, like facing an angel. Facing Marshall would be like facing a demon. I imagine i would only be able to see the whites of his eyes .

    None of this is related to my actual chances of getting hurt, of course.
    hmm, one would have imagined it the other way. Lillee was taller, nastier and more aggressive and bowled a naturally shorter length than Marshall.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  13. #133
    International 12th Man Rant0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Country West Australia
    Posts
    1,534
    yeah but shorter bowlers bowl those skidding bouncers that are hard to get out of the way of and get on you quickly

  14. #134
    International 12th Man Rant0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Country West Australia
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    Marshall for me is one of the two greatest pacemen of all time (the other being Glenn McGrath). The main reason that both were great wherever they went against everyone and Mcgrath in particular was outstanding against the very best batsmen and batting lineups of his generation.
    mcgrath's record in an era of flat pitches, big bats, small grounds, and bully batsmen is nothing short of outstanding

  15. #135
    International 12th Man Rant0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Country West Australia
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I have to admit that there is not alot between them. Lillee would be my choice, I think MM had more support from better quality bowlers, which enable them to keep tremendous pressure from both ends at all times. This was not always the case with Lillee, I thought for periods during his career he would have been the only fast bowler from the Aussie line up to be good enough to make the WI side.

    Also Lillee had a much better leg cutter, where MM seemed to rely more on swing, which he could do both ways, although so could Lillee.

    Marshall had a much better yorker, and both had a lethal bouncer, but I just can't see how there could ever have been a better fast bowler then Lillee, and everyone who faced them both or watched them from the commentary box or from the umpires position, rated LIllee the better, which just clinches it for me, but I would be happy to take either one in an all time line up
    you could also argue that the effort of marshall to stand out in his team was greater than the effort of lillee to stand out in his, of course the commentators were in awe of his performance with little help at times, but to stand out in a team of champions is a huge effort.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HJ Marshall
    By abu in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 08:48 PM
  2. Is it time for Malcolm Speed to go ?
    By JASON in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 26-08-2006, 11:45 PM
  3. the better bowler Malcolm Marshall or Dennis Lillee
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 214
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 04:09 AM
  4. Malcolm Nash
    By cricket player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •