• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you consider Malcolm Marshall...

On the subject of Malcolm Marshall, do you consider ...

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If that were right there'd be no point in studying the history of anything
That would be true if the only point of reading history is to compare with others...

We read up on history to learn how things were, to learn of the greats of that time, to learn of another time period when things were different. NOT because I can compare a Barnes to a Marshall to a McGrath... No sir, I hate comparisons unless it is between contemporaries and that's that, for me.

Marshall is quite obviously amongst the greatest bowlers ever and so is Barnes. I haven't seen either of them live and I am not going to compare. It really doesn't matter to me if X averaged 0.25 lesser than Y when Z was playing in A or whatever.

archie mac

International Coach
Interesting. Did not know that. Thanks for that, AM.

Also, returning once again to Lillee, 3 tests in one series can hardly be taken as representative.
Thanks mate, and yes you are 100% right, re- the three Tests

That would be true if the only point of reading history is to compare with others...

We read up on history to learn how things were, to learn of the greats of that time, to learn of another time period when things were different. NOT because I can compare a Barnes to a Marshall to a McGrath... No sir, I hate comparisons unless it is between contemporaries and that's that, for me.

Marshall is quite obviously amongst the greatest bowlers ever and so is Barnes. I haven't seen either of them live and I am not going to compare. It really doesn't matter to me if X averaged 0.25 lesser than Y when Z was playing in A or whatever.
Spot on:cool:

bagapath

International Captain
for the record archie, i am curious to know your choice between marshall and lillee. from the tone of your messages in this thread (and from the references your older posts) i'm assuming you would choose lillee. we both have seen them play in their pomp. i prefer marshall and i think i have explained why (simply put, man for all seasons) tell me why you would choose lillee, or marshall, over the other. just want to know your call, thats all.

Slifer

International Captain
Marshall for me is one of the two greatest pacemen of all time (the other being Glenn McGrath). The main reason that both were great wherever they went against everyone and Mcgrath in particular was outstanding against the very best batsmen and batting lineups of his generation.

archie mac

International Coach
for the record archie, i am curious to know your choice between marshall and lillee. from the tone of your messages in this thread (and from the references your older posts) i'm assuming you would choose lillee. we both have seen them play in their pomp. i prefer marshall and i think i have explained why (simply put, man for all seasons) tell me why you would choose lillee, or marshall, over the other. just want to know your call, thats all.
I have to admit that there is not alot between them. Lillee would be my choice, I think MM had more support from better quality bowlers, which enable them to keep tremendous pressure from both ends at all times. This was not always the case with Lillee, I thought for periods during his career he would have been the only fast bowler from the Aussie line up to be good enough to make the WI side.

Also Lillee had a much better leg cutter, where MM seemed to rely more on swing, which he could do both ways, although so could Lillee.

Marshall had a much better yorker, and both had a lethal bouncer, but I just can't see how there could ever have been a better fast bowler then Lillee, and everyone who faced them both or watched them from the commentary box or from the umpires position, rated LIllee the better, which just clinches it for me, but I would be happy to take either one in an all time line up:)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Good post :) Agree completely with that.

As for Marshall vs, Lillee, i can't say who was better but i can say i'd be more terrified of facing Marshall than i would Lillee.

bagapath

International Captain
Good post :) Agree completely with that.

As for Marshall vs, Lillee, i can't say who was better but i can say i'd be more terrified of facing Marshall than i would Lillee.
I know what you mean but still would love to see you in the middle with marshall from one end and lillee from the other. would want to see how you are "less terrified" of lillee. :)

coming to think of it, if lillee and marshall are bowling in tandum i would like to see richards and gavaskar take them on. would be a riveting battle.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he was a great fast bowler, one of the best. I chose option 2 but I'm not sure why...I'd probably put McGrath ahead of him (not on pace obviously) although I'd prefer to watch Malcolm bowl.

Uppercut

I know what you mean but still would love to see you in the middle with marshall from one end and lillee from the other. would want to see how you are "less terrified" of lillee. :)
It's a different scenario. It's like, facing Lillee would be a great honour, like facing an angel. Facing Marshall would be like facing a demon. I imagine i would only be able to see the whites of his eyes :ph34r: .

None of this is related to my actual chances of getting hurt, of course.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's a different scenario. It's like, facing Lillee would be a great honour, like facing an angel. Facing Marshall would be like facing a demon. I imagine i would only be able to see the whites of his eyes :ph34r: .

None of this is related to my actual chances of getting hurt, of course.
hmm, one would have imagined it the other way. Lillee was taller, nastier and more aggressive and bowled a naturally shorter length than Marshall.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yeah but shorter bowlers bowl those skidding bouncers that are hard to get out of the way of and get on you quickly

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Marshall for me is one of the two greatest pacemen of all time (the other being Glenn McGrath). The main reason that both were great wherever they went against everyone and Mcgrath in particular was outstanding against the very best batsmen and batting lineups of his generation.
mcgrath's record in an era of flat pitches, big bats, small grounds, and bully batsmen is nothing short of outstanding

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I have to admit that there is not alot between them. Lillee would be my choice, I think MM had more support from better quality bowlers, which enable them to keep tremendous pressure from both ends at all times. This was not always the case with Lillee, I thought for periods during his career he would have been the only fast bowler from the Aussie line up to be good enough to make the WI side.

Also Lillee had a much better leg cutter, where MM seemed to rely more on swing, which he could do both ways, although so could Lillee.

Marshall had a much better yorker, and both had a lethal bouncer, but I just can't see how there could ever have been a better fast bowler then Lillee, and everyone who faced them both or watched them from the commentary box or from the umpires position, rated LIllee the better, which just clinches it for me, but I would be happy to take either one in an all time line up:)
you could also argue that the effort of marshall to stand out in his team was greater than the effort of lillee to stand out in his, of course the commentators were in awe of his performance with little help at times, but to stand out in a team of champions is a huge effort.

Uppercut

yeah but shorter bowlers bowl those skidding bouncers that are hard to get out of the way of and get on you quickly
Yeah, height doesn't particularly scare me, nor does back of a length bowling. It's difficult to explain. Short, tanked-out flying machines always put the fear of God into me moreso than body builders. Maybe it comes from playing rugby.

archie mac

International Coach
you could also argue that the effort of marshall to stand out in his team was greater than the effort of lillee to stand out in his, of course the commentators were in awe of his performance with little help at times, but to stand out in a team of champions is a huge effort.
True and you could even go further the other way and argue that Hadlee being the only decent bowler in his team could pick up more wickets as the only real threat:ph34r:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
True and you could even go further the other way and argue that Hadlee being the only decent bowler in his team could pick up more wickets as the only real threat:ph34r:
did anyone carry his team as much as hadlee in the 80's ?