• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you consider Malcolm Marshall...

On the subject of Malcolm Marshall, do you consider ...

• Total voters

Rant0r

International 12th Man
well at least a lot of us would have seen hilights of the 70's and 80's pace era

don't think anyone has seen barnes

archie mac

International Coach
yes i will read someone elses opinion in order to make my own BRILLIANT!
You read lots of books, and get a feel of how someone bowled, try Fry and Beldam 'Great bowlers and fielders their methods at a glance'.

Read contemporary match reports, read what their contemporaries thought of them, and then form an informed opinion8-)

It is not Rocket Surgery8-)

Rant0r

International 12th Man
You read lots of books, and get a feel of how someone bowled, try Fry and Beldam 'Great bowlers and fielders their methods at a glance'.

Read contemporary match reports, read what their contemporaries thought of them, and then form an informed opinion8-)

It is not Rocket Surgery8-)
rocket surgery hey

i'm not going to compare sf barnes to anyone based on a match report, i accept that report may say that he was a champion bowler unplayable etc etc, but i can't look at how he bowled and compare it to me watching curtley ambrose on tv.

archie mac

International Coach
rocket surgery hey

i'm not going to compare sf barnes to anyone based on a match report, i accept that report may say that he was a champion bowler unplayable etc etc, but i can't look at how he bowled and compare it to me watching curtley ambrose on tv.
The first line was a joke Joyce:happy:

Well that is up to you, but don't tell the rest of us that you can't compare bowlers that you have never watched, it is a silly statement imo:)

PS don't use all capitals it is considered poor form:dry:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
The first line was a joke Joyce:happy:

Well that is up to you, but don't tell the rest of us that you can't compare bowlers that you have never watched, it is a silly statement imo:)

PS don't use all capitals it is considered poor form:dry:
i said it was hard to compare, and i don't think you really can accurately, you can only speculate. when you cross eras you also encounter the game being played differently, and rule changes etc.

and who used capitals ?

archie mac

International Coach
i said it was hard to compare, and i don't think you really can accurately, you can only speculate. when you cross eras you also encounter the game being played differently, and rule changes etc.

and who used capitals ?
Yes you did say hard so I may have been over the top somewhat, sorry about that:)

yes i will read someone elses opinion in order to make my own BRILLIANT!
This post:)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall, easily the best test fast bowler. Hadlee, Trueman, Lillie, Imran, Holding, Ambrose and McGrath also comes in that categoy.

SF Barnes was a terrific bowler, but in his days batting averages were lower than now. So that average of 18 should be taken with pich of salt.

archie mac

International Coach
Marshall, easily the best test fast bowler. Hadlee, Trueman, Lillie, Imran, Holding, Ambrose and McGrath also comes in that categoy.

SF Barnes was a terrific bowler, but in his days batting averages were lower than now. So that average of 18 should be taken with pich of salt.
The smaller stumps, bigger ball and much tougher LBW law don't count?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hard to compare blokes you haven't seen, not even television footage
Have to agree with this. Reading can give you an idea of how good someone was with respect to how good everyone else was at the time, but you can't possibly compare players from 100 years ago of which no footage exists to players you watch regularly today.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
lots of uncovered pitches around in sf barnes time as well, should be taken into account

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that were right there'd be no point in studying the history of anything
That's not true. It's only true in this case because a cricketer, unlike a president or playwright =/ the sum of his achievements and what people have written about him. For non-enduring arts it doesn't work. You couldn't for instance, argue the merits of a guitarist of whom no footage exists in comparison with Hendrix. Whatever had been written about him.