• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think the best bowlers are at present??

satheeshv37

Cricket Spectator
Who do you think the best bowler at present, I think Its Ishant Sharma(India) is the best bowler at present in all formats of the game..What's your Opinion??:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
Who do you think the best bowler at present, I think Its Ishant Sharma(India) is the best bowler at present in all formats of the game..What's your Opinion??:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Something tells me that you are in for another :laugh: Bashing.
Anyway keep smiling mate. Jus keep smiling!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah Murali for mine. I'd possibly say that Mendis might be more potent, but Murali being the better overall bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Believe it or not, Stuart Clark isn't that bad either. I wouldn't have him at the very top of the pile, but he's garnered some undue discredit of late.

Murali, as I've said once or twice recently, I wonder about him these days. To write him off in any way would be utter foolishness, but he's not looked any great crack to me whenever I've seen him since the 2006/07 season.

Mendis of course has been sensational so far but has played 1 series.

Flintoff I have high hopes for but he himself recently played his first 3 Tests in the last 2 years.

In answer: there are pretty well no conclusively excellent bowlers at the current time.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ishant shouldn't be in top 5...In fact, it's debatable if he's yet become India's best pace bowler; I'm not saying he's not, but it can't be said without doubt who among Zaheer and him is better atm...

For me the top 5 are Murali, Steyn, Mendis, Clark and Sidebottom.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we were picking a team schoolyard-style from everyone in the world, the first i'd pick would be Mendis. Although a lot of his threat comes from his x-factor, so purely as a bowler Murali's probably better.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If we were picking a team schoolyard-style from everyone in the world, the first i'd pick would be Mendis. Although a lot of his threat comes from his x-factor, so purely as a bowler Murali's probably better.
AWTA.

With regard to the quicks, there's just no-one that stands out. None of those mentioned (eg Clark, Sidebottom, Steyn, Flintoff, Ishant, Zaheer) stands out as clearly the best fast bowler even in his own team.

Uppercut

Think Sidebottom must have been a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. He's had three good series against NZ and West Indies and three poor series against India, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Good bowler though.

krkode

State Captain
Although I think Mendis is one of the best new prospects facing world cricket at the moment, I wonder if we're all being a bit hasty putting him among the world's best atm? Maybe the state of world bowling is just kind of poor over all anyway, but really the main teams Mendis has performed against have been minnows, or a weak Pakistan and (an out of form?) India. Yeah, yeah, India has a great batting lineup, but let's face it - a lot of decidedly average players have had their golden days come against a roller-coaster Indian team which is known for huge form surges... Ricardo Powell, Henry Olonga, Nicky Boje, Clarke with the ball, are a few that come to mind...

Uppercut

Although I think Mendis is one of the best new prospects facing world cricket at the moment, I wonder if we're all being a bit hasty putting him among the world's best atm? Maybe the state of world bowling is just kind of poor over all anyway, but really the main teams Mendis has performed against have been minnows, or a weak Pakistan and (an out of form?) India. Yeah, yeah, India has a great batting lineup, but let's face it - a lot of decidedly average players have had their golden days come against a roller-coaster Indian team which is known for huge form surges... Ricardo Powell, Henry Olonga, Nicky Boje, Clarke with the ball, are a few that come to mind...
Mendis is really, really, realllllly obviously far more difficult to play than any of those. He has an ass-kicking first-class record and is yet to fail against anyone.

I shall put it another way.
Evidence that Mendis is awesome: Limited.
Evidence that Mendis isn't awesome: Literally none.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Sidebottom must have been a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. He's had three good series against NZ and West Indies and three poor series against India, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Good bowler though.
Although I obviously don't consider him the best seam-bowler around currently, I do think he's pretty close-ish.

And I certainly think the suggestion that he had a poor series in Sri Lanka is dubious at best, and that he had a poor series against India in 2007 unacceptable. He bowled damn brilliantly that series, got the figures he deserved in the First Test, was ridiculously unlucky in the Second (I've rarely seen someone beat the bat so often), and would have got the figures in the Third but for dropped catches.

He was poor against SA, fo' sho'. And I actually think he was less-than-outstanding against NZ earlier in the summer too. But he was less than fit. Albeit his own weight I'm fairly sure didn't help there.