• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League matches moved from Mumbai

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen subsequently claimed responsibility for the shootings, according to local media reports. One eyewitness was quoted as saying that gunmen were looking for people with British or US passports. Hostages are also believed to have been taken.

The Brabourne Stadium, venue of the second Test and scheduled to host three Champions League games, is in the middle of the area where most attacks have taken place. It is also the vicinity where most foreign tourists are likely to stay.
Unlike in Pakistan or Sri Lanka, it looks like foreigners might the target here.

"We have to consider whether players and their families are happy with us travelling," Middlesex coach Toby Radford said. "Can you go somewhere and feel safe when there are people injured just 24 hours before? Our participation and the tournament itself must be in some doubt. Personally I would rather not be anywhere near there."
"We're reeling from the news of what's taken place," he said. "We're liaising closely with Cricket Australia and the government to work out the implications for the tour. We will have to change some of our travel plans. It's outside the scope of our normal areas of expertise."
I said earlier that the decision to boycott Pakistan was irrational and unfairly targeted one country out - and I stand by that.

However, in this case, if the tour is canceled, it is more than justified, and it makes complete sense for cricketers not to come.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know what the problem here is? Religion. Always ruining everything for everyone. I'll say no more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dean Kino, a member of the governing council of the Champions Twenty20 League, was in the Taj Palace hotel when terrorists entered the building and took hostages during a series of bombings and shootings across Mumbai on Wednesday night. Kino is safe and with police after being a witness to the raids.

Most of the members of the league's organising committee were either staying, or due to stay, at the Taj Palace, but many of them were working late at the BCCI's nearby offices. At least eighty people were killed and hundreds injured in the attacks while the Taj Palace is on fire.

Kino, who is Cricket Australia's lawyer, devised the rules for the Twenty20 tournament and was working in the hotel when the terrorist attacks began. "We've been speaking to Dean since 6am (8pm GMT) and been in constant contact with him," a Cricket Australia spokesman said. "We've been in contact with his family and we can confirm he is safe and no longer at the hotel."
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/379826.html

Precambrian

Banned
Bastards. And our Govt is an imbecile bunch of cowards who think that any strong action could be deemed as anti-Islam and would hurt their vote-banks. And we probably have the worst Interior affairs minister ever.

Mard

Banned
You know what the problem here is? Religion. Always ruining everything for everyone. I'll say no more.

no i disagree. Religion is basically a tool. you can use it for good or you can use it for evil. The choice is up to a individual.

Precambrian

Banned
no i disagree. Religion is basically a tool. you can use it for good or you can use it for evil. The choice is up to a individual.
AWTA. However the govt is completely incapable of dealing with the religious factions in this country. The proof of terrorist activists being groomed in religious centres(only some/not all) have been well documented, but oh no one want to touch them for fear of being called anti-secularist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AWTA. However the govt is completely incapable of dealing with the religious factions in this country. The proof of terrorist activists being groomed in religious centres(only some/not all) have been well documented, but oh no one want to touch them for fear of being called anti-secularist.
TBF I think all governments have difficulty dealing with religious, or any other, extremists in a way which both keeps them in chack and doesn't trample on the rights of other citizens as well.

Precambrian

Banned
TBF I think all governments have difficulty dealing with religious, or any other, extremists in a way which both keeps them in chack and doesn't trample on the rights of other citizens as well.
However, the worst thing is that people openly talk about in public, and Govt does nothing.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of my family live in Mumbai and go and have dinner at that hotel very often.

**** these terrorist ****s, Indian Mujahadee/Deccan Mujahadeen, Hindu extremists and all the other ****ing ****s who want to do this ****ing **** can all go and die in a ****ing huge flaming ****ing oil fire for all I care. My parents have been on the phone for hours now trying to get in contact with every member of our family in Mumbai and thankfully they have done so.

Horrible day, could care less about the Champions Trophy being moved or cancelled, if England want to get home ASAP I can't blame them either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Close friend of mine works with a major UAE company that was sending a large delegation to Delhi next week.

Chairman of the company (a local Muslim) sent an email out this morning cancelling all travel plans to India for "the immediate future."

It's a major concern that their "intelligence" tells them that this might not be an isolated incident

Precambrian

Banned
Close friend of mine works with a major UAE company that was sending a large delegation to Delhi next week.

Chairman of the company (a local Muslim) sent an email out this morning cancelling all travel plans to India for "the immediate future."

It's a major concern that their "intelligence" tells them that this might not be an isolated incident
It is not, given how many bombings have now taken place in the last 1 year. Yet our government is in La La land. Even my brother was supposed to be visiting Mumbai in a week's time as part of a project, but the Company has asked him to postpone the visit to India.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I feel deeply saddened and have all the sympathy for the victims and their families. I hope those who committed this heinous act are caught and brought to justice.