• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cheating

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What are the worst examples of cheating you can remember in the professional game? Would have to say the Afridi pitch incident against England a few years ago is perhaps the worst in my memory.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What are the worst examples of cheating you can remember in the professional game? Would have to say the Afridi pitch incident against England a few years ago is perhaps the worst in my memory.
For something so blatant and in the public eye, yeah you can't beat Afridi's for mine.. Claimed catches can always be debated as I'm sure they will be, but nobody can see from the eyes and experience what he is going through when it happens, so you cant tell if they knew a catch was taken or not really

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

I would say Afridi too, though some of Clarke's claimed catches are quite amazing in that he expects to get away with it (and mostly does).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Chappell at Headingley in 1975 when he sneaked on to the ground at 01:AM and poured oil on the wicket in order to get the match abandoned.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
I would say Afridi too, though some of Clarke's claimed catches are quite amazing in that he expects to get away with it (and mostly does).
Haha, an American saying if ever there was one.. Thank God they are only good at their own sports

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
From an English pov, I've always found other countries' habit of producing far more effective cricketers than we do decidedly below the belt.

Beyond that, it's hard to look beyond Afridi. Bodyline & underarm were within the laws, so you canm't call them cheating as such.

I suppose, again from an English pov, the worst case I can remember was a certain tour in 1987, since that was the only time I was genuinely convinced that at least one umpire was genuinely in on the act. However, I am aware that fans from that country will have similar opinions about David Constant.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose, again from an English pov, the worst case I can remember was a certain tour in 1987, since that was the only time I was genuinely convinced that at least one umpire was genuinely in on the act. However, I am aware that fans from that country will have similar opinions about David Constant.
David Constant and Shakor Rana were just poor umpires ( Constant was a generally good umpire prone to unacceptable errors.) Shakeel Khan however made decisions that were too idiotic to be genuine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't remember it, but the worst I've heard of is someone doctoring the pitch in a Championship game in 1904 or something. Kent vs someone, I forget who. I guess the Ian Chappell thing in 1975 (which I'd never heard of until now, only about the dickheads who vandalised the pitch to get a criminal off the hook for one of the few crimes he hadn't committed) is perhaps even more blatant as the perpetrator is known.

Always think the regularity of non-walking outdoes anything else though. Although deliberately trying to scuff the pitch is far more outrageous, at least it only happened that once. Never had a very high opinion of Afridi in any way though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
II guess the Ian Chappell thing in 1975 (which I'd never heard of until now, only about the dickheads who vandalised the pitch to get a criminal off the hook for one of the few crimes he hadn't committed) is perhaps even more blatant as the perpetrator is known.
:unsure:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A (then) well known Cricket Book dealer was nicked for criminal damage to a County Championship pitch back in the late 70's/early 80's

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Rashid Latif is the gold standard for claiming a blatantly grassed catch for mine.
What the clip doesn't show is whether he appealed for it. Do we know that he did? If he did, that is indeed the gold standard.

A classic selection of YouTube half-wit racists commenting on it, too.