• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's a good pitch?

Precambrian

Banned
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2008/11/whats_a_good_pitch.php#more

November 26, 2008

Posted by Michael Jeh 5 hours, 37 minutes ago

What's a good pitch?

Today, I received my regular M.C.C Newsletter from Lord’s which talked about some of the issues that were canvassed by the M.C.C World Cricket Committee Meeting in October. It talked about the decline of spin bowling and the need to get away from the philosophy that “if the first ball seams, it’s a good wicket; if the first ball spins, it is a bad wicket”.

At the Gabba last week, we saw a fairly mediocre New Zealand batting line up clinically dismantled by a four-pronged Aussie seam attack. Given the wild storms that hit Brisbane in the days leading up to the game, it was no surprise really to see a pitch that was even more conducive to fast bowling than is normally the case. This is usually a surface that favours the quickies anyway – the ground staff worked miracles to prepare a playing surface of this quality.

Initially, when Australia was bowled out cheaply in the first innings, there was the usual debate about whether the pitch was too helpful to the seam bowlers. Sensible commentators simply accepted that this was part of the challenge of playing in Australian conditions and no more excuses were made for a fairly poor batting display by most of the batsmen apart from Michael Clarke and Simon Katich. Daniel Vettori was magnanimous in defeat, conceding that his batsmen did not have the skills or experience to cope with these very-Australian conditions. No apologies, no excuses.

A few ignorant callers to a radio program that I host referred to the so-called ‘doctored’ pitches in India as an excuse why the Australians surrendered the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. I'm afraid I failed to grasp their logic.

In general though, many cricketers still cling to the notion that hard, fast and bouncy = GOOD but low, dusty and spinning = BAD. Even in lower levels of cricket, the word ‘good’ is invariably used to describe a surface that is hard and fast whereas a dry, slow pitch that looks like it might turn is immediately disparaged. Perhaps it is an inadvertent use of the term ‘good’, unlike in horse racing where it is merely used to describe a certain type of surface rather than give it positive or negative attributes. For too long, cricket has always associated fast pitches with being good pitches.

In Mumbai in 2004, Australia was bowled out chasing a low score and the pitch was widely panned for being sub-standard because they scored less then 100 runs in the last innings. In the very next Test, NZ was shot out for 76 at the Gabba on a good wicket. A few weeks later at the WACA, Pakistan were humbled for just 72 runs in the final innings but there was still no question whatsoever about the quality of the pitch. It was just that the hapless touring teams were unable to cope with the skills required to cope with the extra pace and bounce. No apologies, no excuses.

It was not always so. In the 1980s when the West Indies fast bowlers were running rampant, Australia deliberately prepared spinning pitches in Sydney for Bob Holland, Murray Bennett and even Allan Border to spin Australia to victory. The mighty West Indian batsmen had their techniques shown up as being inadequate to even counter part-time spinners like Border. No apologies, no excuses.

The famous Gabba pitch is now under threat from a plan to rip it up to make the centre wicket area softer for the winter football codes. If this happens, it is likely to lose the unique character that makes it such an attractive cricket destination. That will be a shame because one of the great things about Test cricket is watching touring sides cope with first day conditions in steamy Brisbane at the start of a series. If you can’t handle the pace, bounce and seam movement, that’s just bad luck. You come to Australia, you learn to play on our pitches. No apologies, no excuses.

So long as the reverse also applies for Test cricket played in other parts of the world. As Sachin Tendulkar once said “just because it spins, does that mean it’s not Test cricket?” No apologies, no excuses.
Wow!!!! My thoughts!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good pitch, for me, is one that is receptive to spin, or seam, (or both which is occasionally possible, though rarely) and remains the same for a lengthy period (ideally the whole match, but that's not always possible).

A bad pitch is a pitch that changes drastically, because then the toss becomes too important. Whether it's a seamer that stops seaming or a non-turner that turns into a turner (not that the latter is that common any more). A bad pitch is also a pitch that does nothing for seam or spin all game and results in 600 plays 550. Nothing more boring than that.

I like a good turning surface in India or Sri Lanka, and I like a good seaming deck in England, South Africa, New Zealand or West Indies. Or parts of Australia. I don't particularly like an uneven deck, but like a non-seaming-non-spinning one, the odd one here and there is good for a bit of variety.

I also don't like decks that seam or spin enormously if they occur too often. Once a series, or once every couple of series, is fine.

I like a good variance between quick, high-bouncy pitches and slow, low-bouncy pitches. As long as they have a bit of seam and\or turn. I don't want to see too many really quick or too many really slow pitches. And I hate a slow, low-bouncy pitch with no seam or turn.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough article except for:

"In the 1980s when the West Indies fast bowlers were running rampant, Australia deliberately prepared spinning pitches in Sydney for Bob Holland, Murray Bennett and even Allan Border to spin Australia to victory."

Anyone around at the time knows that the true character of the SCG pitch was shown in those matches

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rather more alarming is that anyone thought Murray Bennett spun Australia to victory.

pskov

International 12th Man
A good pitch is where 300 is a good score and 400 is a potentially match-winning one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good pitch is where 300 is a good score and 400 is a potentially match-winning one.
Wouldn't disagree that that's a good pitch, but it's certainly not the only thing that's a good pitch.

I don't even mind seeing one where you can get 500-plays-400 then still see a result. Though I myself prefer 250-plays-270 etc.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nicely put.

It's rare that really high-scoring games are good games (with some exceptions, obviously - eg Lords 1990 and Adelaide 2006). So I want something there for the bowler throughout. And I do like a pitch to change character a little as the game progresses, and not only by the appearance of uneven bounce. And a low-scoring game is usually an exciting one.

Pace is almost always a good thing. It just makes for better cricket all round. It helps everyone - the ball carries, bouncers bounce, batsmen can play their shots. And fast pitches can be good news for spinners too - as a long-suffering legspinner I've always loved to bowl on a pitch with pace and bounce.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I do like a pitch to change character a little as the game progresses, and not only by the appearance of uneven bounce.
I don't. As I say, it often means the toss becomes important, which I really don't like. I like the side which bowls best, not first or second, to have the best chance of victory.

I hate to see a pitch that seams for a couple of sessions then dries-out and flattens into a complete pancake. I hate to see pitches that behave OK for a day and a bit then crumble to dust. I hate even to see pitches that seam for a couple of days then stop - it means I'm licking my lips with some seaming sensation having been served for the main course only to have dessert swiped from under the nose.

I always like a pitch that seams to seam all game, and a pitch that turns to do it from ball one. Then you find the men from the boys, and no-one can moan that the toss robbed them.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't. As I say, it often means the toss becomes important, which I really don't like. I like the side which bowls best, not first or second, to have the best chance of victory.

I hate to see a pitch that seams for a couple of sessions then dries-out and flattens into a complete pancake. I hate to see pitches that behave OK for a day and a bit then crumble to dust. I hate even to see pitches that seam for a couple of days then stop - it means I'm licking my lips with some seaming sensation having been served for the main course only to have dessert swiped from under the nose.

I always like a pitch that seams to seam all game, and a pitch that turns to do it from ball one. Then you find the men from the boys, and no-one can moan that the toss robbed them.
I understand where you're coming from.

But I'm not suggesting I'd like a Jekyll-and-Hyde pitch, simply one that develops a little as the game progresses.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Off the top of my head, the best pitches in cricket i've seen are the ones that have been at Old Trafford tests for a while- the bounce on the first couple of days isn't uneven, so batsmen don't get out to real smellers, but it's very fast so the bowlers always have a chance. Equally, the pace ensures that bad bowling gets punished regularly and the match doesn't get bogged down. The runs are always there for a quality batsman. As the pitch wears on, the spinners always come into it more and if they bowl well can be the big match-winners. It's one of the few pitches with literally something in it for everyone.

Shame it's been ditched indefinitely.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For me, the ones that have a bit of grass on it, and some moisture. Definitely better than a dry, flat pitch that offers nothing but banging it in short.

Also prefer that it hasn't hosted any other sports before hand, otherwise it can result in a sticky wicket.

Top_Cat

For me, the ones that have a bit of grass on it, and some moisture. Definitely better than a dry, flat pitch that offers nothing but banging it in short.

Also prefer that it hasn't hosted any other sports before hand, otherwise it can result in a sticky wicket.
Particularly if the team using it beforehand is the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Burgey

Must say I agree withthe tenor of the article but can't agree with the issue about the Mumbai pitch being declared substandard because Australia was bowled out by spinners batting last.
It was substandard because it began breaking up from virtually the start and the game was over in about 2.5 days iirc.

This isn't to say it was substandard because it turned from ball one. IMO the same would be said about an identical result on a wicket which did too much for the quicks.

I guess the ideal wicket is one which offers somethign for everyone as a test goes on, but really, those wickets are few and far between, and I suspect in truth they always have been.

I've got nothing against a wicket which offers turn from ball one, or one whic seams around from ball one. But if a wicket is such that a test between two reasonably matched sides finishes inside 3 days when both teams can't post a total, I don't think you can say the wicket is a good one. That situation is different AFAIC from one where a side is totally outplayed and beaten in 3 days - for example, WI smashing Aus inside 3 days in Perth in 1993.

Precambrian

Banned
Must say I agree withthe tenor of the article but can't agree with the issue about the Mumbai pitch being declared substandard because Australia was bowled out by spinners batting last.
It was substandard because it began breaking up from virtually the start and the game was over in about 2.5 days iirc.

This isn't to say it was substandard because it turned from ball one. IMO the same would be said about an identical result on a wicket which did too much for the quicks.

I guess the ideal wicket is one which offers somethign for everyone as a test goes on, but really, those wickets are few and far between, and I suspect in truth they always have been.

I've got nothing against a wicket which offers turn from ball one, or one whic seams around from ball one. But if a wicket is such that a test between two reasonably matched sides finishes inside 3 days when both teams can't post a total, I don't think you can say the wicket is a good one. That situation is different AFAIC from one where a side is totally outplayed and beaten in 3 days - for example, WI smashing Aus inside 3 days in Perth in 1993.
Precisely the point the article writer wants to say. So a pitch that breaks up and aids spin from Day 1 is treated bad.

Burgey

Precisely the point the article writer wants to say. So a pitch that breaks up and aids spin from Day 1 is treated bad.
No. As usual, you penchant for drawing the specific into a generalisation takes over.

IMO that was a bad pitch because it wasn't capable, no matter who was playing on it, of lasting even close to 5 days. It wasn't a bad pitch because it turned, or because it broke up over time. It was a bad pitch because it fell to pieces inside the first session and was not one which a five day game was capable of being played on.

Of course, if you want to make this an "Us v Them" thing even on the issue of pitches mate, then go ahead. But please bare this in mind. The reason the paragraph you highlighted in the original article is wrong is because neither team coped well with that pitch, as it was impossible to cope with. Australia lost that match by about 10-15 runs IIRC, in circumstances where neither side scored anything substantial on what was a **** house pitch. I mean Michael Clarke took 6 for 9 FFS.

Hypothetically, if India pile on 350-450 on a pitch, and Australia get bundled out for 150-200 on a turner, that doesn't make it a bad wicket, it means they couldn't cope with it. But that Mumbai pitch was a shocker, and most everyone agreed with that assessment of it. Even Imran was moved to write what a terrible pitch it was. Why? Not because it turned, not because one team or the other got beaten, but because it was a **** wicket.

So no, because a pitch turns on day one doesn't make it a bad wicket IMO, despite your best efforts to make it seem that's what I'm saying. Just like a pitch bouncing and seaming doesn't make it a bad wicket. But, and being the thread starter you really should know this, the question was "What's a good pitch?" not "Boo Hoo, the bad old Aussies are whinging coz a wicket turned, isn't that crap?" To which, in fairness, the answer would probably be "yes".

And finally, it will probably come as a shock to the people who prepared the SCG pitches in the 80s that they'd deliberately made them into turners to disadvantage the WI. The SCG always turned in the 80s, no matter who played there. And of course, the same people who presumably gave the order to the groundsman to bring the mighty Windies undone by prearing such a pitch also scheduled the first two tests of each summer back then at Brisbane and Perth, thus ensuring we were 2-0 down after a combined 18 sessions of cricket. How nefarious!!!

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
No. As usual, you penchant for drawing the specific into a generalisation takes over.

IMO that was a bad pitch because it wasn't capable, no matter who was playing on it, of lasting even close to 5 days. It wasn't a bad pitch because it turned, or because it broke up over time. It was a bad pitch because it fell to pieces inside the first session and was not one which a five day game was capable of being played on.

Of course, if you want to make this an "Us v Them" thing even on the issue of pitches mate, then go ahead. But please bare this in mind. The reason the paragraph you highlighted in the original article is wrong is because neither team coped well with that pitch, as it was impossible to cope with. Australia lost that match by about 10-15 runs IIRC, in circumstances where neither side scored anything substantial on what was a **** house pitch. I mean Michael Clarke took 6 for 9 FFS.

Hypothetically, if India pile on 350-450 on a pitch, and Australia get bundled out for 150-200 on a turner, that doesn't make it a bad wicket, it means they couldn't cope with it. But that Mumbai pitch was a shocker, and most everyone agreed with that assessment of it. Even Imran was moved to write what a terrible pitch it was. Why? Not because it turned, not because one team or the other got beaten, but because it was a **** wicket.

So no, because a pitch turns on day one doesn't make it a bad wicket IMO, despite your best efforts to make it seem that's what I'm saying. Just like a pitch bouncing and seaming doesn't make it a bad wicket. But, and being the thread starter you really should know this, the question was "What's a good pitch?" not "Boo Hoo, the bad old Aussies are whinging coz a wicket turned, isn't that crap?" To which, in fairness, the answer would probably be "yes".
I don't think that pitch was unplayable, as Tendulkar and Laxman showed, before both got out to stupid shots. It was shoddy batting that did both sides in.

And I think there is a good reason behind the starting of this thread, which is not merely to show my non-acceptance of the Aussie attitude, no not at all. I wanted a good discussion to be made. I could not accept Mumbai 04 being called a poor pitch, because it started breaking up early, and both sides batted very poorly. Reasons like "If Micheal Clarke could take 6 wickets on it, it must be crap" is illogical, because Clarke was probably the best spinner in that side, and we saw him taking cheap wickets in Sydney last year, which showed he has some ability.

Last edited: