• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Country's whose ICL teams would beat their 1st XI's

Langeveldt

Soutie
A truly frightening prospect for anyone who cares about the survival of international cricket (as we know it)..

There are already two, Pakistan and Bangladesh.. Who will be the next? And how long will it take?

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
A truly frightening prospect for anyone who cares about the survival of international cricket (as we know it)..

There are already two, Pakistan and Bangladesh.. Who will be the next? And how long will it take?
I doubt there will be anyone else...

ICL Would aim to get Srilanka but all their "players" are in the ipl.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The NZ one would be pretty strong, not sure if they would beat us but it'd be close.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can definitely see how Pakistan's players might see the ICL as the way forward. Teams not exactly beating a path to their door just now so they might think there's nothing to lose & a lot (financially speaking) to gain.

Suspect a few more fringe English players might make the leap too if the ECB & BCCI can't come to some kind of arrangement regarding their taking part in the IPL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ's ICL players are mostly pretty average, can't see them overtly troubling NZ's best available XI. Bond's the only really good one, though Tuffey could've been damn good but for all his injury and other problems.

Polo23

International Debutant
NZ's ICL players are mostly pretty average, can't see them overtly troubling NZ's best available XI. Bond's the only really good one, though Tuffey could've been damn good but for all his injury and other problems.
Astle, Cairns and McMillan werent good? First i've heard.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you are a Pakistan player, why would you stay put? No one except India wants to play you (and even they may not be sure). I'd join the ICL immedieatly unless I can get a similar IPL contract.

Frankly, I don't know if Pakistani cricket has a future. This preoccupation with terrorism by all the touring countries isn't going away.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was watching some late night ICL highlights on Fox Sports last night.

Wasn't that bad. Could never actually get into it, but it was quite funny seeing a grey haired Gillespie bowling, Stuart Law standing at first slip, Ian Harvey bowling his slower balls etc.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The NZ, Pak and Bangladesh ICL teams could beat the international XI's, but West Indies can also beat Australia if they play enough. They aren't as good but they have enough talent in them to pull off occasional upsets.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but you have to look at what they're like now for there to be any meaningful comparison, not what they were like 5 or 10 years ago.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was watching some late night ICL highlights on Fox Sports last night.

Wasn't that bad. Could never actually get into it, but it was quite funny seeing a grey haired Gillespie bowling, Stuart Law standing at first slip, Ian Harvey bowling his slower balls etc.
Yeah I watched a bit of the game before, where someone [was it Tuffey] hit a 6 to win the game. Nathan Astle was actually on fire, he took 4 for 19, pretty tame shots some of the dismissals though.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Maybe a few Irish, Scottish and Kenyan players in a non-test XI

thierry henry

International Coach
Whether they are old or not, they were still fantastic players when they played international cricket, two of the worlds best.
Yes, but not any more. They are not ICL "rebels" but legitimately retired 37/38 year olds who retired 2/3 years ago because they were past their best.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Yes, but not any more. They are not ICL "rebels" but legitimately retired 37/38 year olds who retired 2/3 years ago because they were past their best.
Agree.

I think most of these players had they been in form which would have allowed them to play for their country would have gone to the IPL with the obvious exception being Mr Bond.

Polo23

International Debutant
You are kidding right? Both Cairns and Astle were still great players, and both retired early because of Bracewell. While they would have been retirees now (most likely), when they did retire it was premature and forced by Bracewell.

Polo23

International Debutant
Agree.

I think most of these players had they been in form which would have allowed them to play for their country would have gone to the IPL with the obvious exception being Mr Bond.
Vincent was/is easily good enough to play for NZ...

thierry henry

International Coach
Polo, why are you so intent on being gloomy about our "losses"

I've read Astle's book and yeah, he may have gone on a bit longer if not for the additional stresses under Bracewell...but not much longer. I definitely reckon he would be retired by now regardless. The ICL is convenient for monetary purposes.

Cairns made his international debut in 1989 and has had a thousand injuries...I was surprised he went on as long as he did. In his book, released in 2002 while he was injured, he actually suggested he was going to retire from test cricket then!

Part of Vincent's reason for going imo was that he was consistently struggling to make the team...fringe player at best.

Tuffey was also a fringe player (that's being generous)...unfortunately he hadn't come back well from serious injury, cos all things being equal he should be NZ's #1 bowler right now. I don't think he's that bowler anymore.