• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A purple patch for NZ cricket?

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've only been watching cricket since 2003 but since then I've never heard so much young talent around the same time, just look at the young names in domestic cricket:

Kane Williamson
Corey Anderson
Harry Boam
Trent Boult
Tim Southee

are all notable players under 20 and we have quite a few u-25 promising players.

So will NZ go through a purple patch in the next say, 10 years?

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
yes, I seriously think we can have a purple patch and challenge at the top of world cricket. Some of the guys making their way in the current side are hugely talanted.

I hope that these guys will be the back bone of the team added to by some young guys in 5 years.

- Ross Taylor
- Jesse Ryder
- Daniel Flynn
- Tim Southee

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's pretty harsh. Have you seen the guys we're talking about?

But whether or not it'll be a purple patch remains to be seen. These are hugely talented guys, but have to wait and see whether they can make the step up - remember the reputations some other youngsters have had in the past. McMillan was talked up as almost the next Martin Crowe and while he was good he fell well short of that.

Xuhaib

International Coach
That's pretty harsh.

But whether or not it'll be a purple patch remains to be seen. These are hugely talented guys, but have to wait and see whether they can make the step up - remember the reputations some other youngsters have had in the past. McMillan was talked up as almost the next Martin Crowe and while he was good he fell well short of that.
Watched bits and pieces of Aus-NZL test and dude your top-order is useless. Ryder is overrated, he is fat and dosen't move his feet much and would struggle to make big scores. I did like Flynn but he seems limited the only world class talent you have is R.Taylor but despite having him you will continue to suffer against top quality bowling

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
ill have a crack:

1. Jamie How
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Ross Taylor (C)
6. Corey Anderson
7. James Franklin
8. Brendon McCullam
9. Tim Southee
10.Daniel Vettori
11.Trent Boult

12th man. gun batting line-up with Vettori at 10 with still four genuine bowlers plus part-timers.Tipping Jamie How to cement a spot at the top this summer and to be a long term opener.

Will be interesting to look back on how close we get.

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
ill have a crack:

1. Jamie How
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Ross Taylor (C)
6. Corey Anderson
7. James Franklin
8. Brendon McCullam
9. Tim Southee
10.Daniel Vettori
11.Trent Boult

12th man. gun batting line-up with Vettori at 10 with still four genuine bowlers plus part-timers.Tipping Jamie How to cement a spot at the top this summer and to be a long term opener.

Will be interesting to look back on how close we get.
Like that line up although McCullum at 8!

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Watched bits and pieces of Aus-NZL test and dude your top-order is useless. Ryder is overrated, he is fat and dosen't move his feet much and would struggle to make big scores. I did like Flynn but he seems limited the only world class talent you have is R.Taylor but despite having him you will continue to suffer against top quality bowling
The topic is about the FUTURE, not NOW.
You call Ryder overrated after seeing him bat twice in a game that all but 3 batsman struggled?

Briony

International Debutant
It all depends how the supposed young guns adapt to international cricket. How strong is NZ domestic cricket?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And what did you think of Guptill, Anderson, Boult, Boam and Williamson?

Oh wait, you haven't seen them - that's the whole point of this thread. We're not talking about the now, as several others have said.

Try adding value to the discussion rather than trolling like a depressed Pakistani supporter who hopes that one day his team might play tests in their own country again.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's almost 30? his time is abit late to make a big step and since he is relatively inexperienced I don't think he would offer as much as a Williamson
God I hate that line of reasoning. The assumption that if you're under 23 you must be a future superstar and that if you're over 27 you're worthless.

I'd like to wait for a few of these players to start playing in international cricket before we start trumpeting a golden generation. Yes, Williamson, Anderson and Southee in particular do look very talented, but at this stage it really is too hard to tell.

Xuhaib

International Coach
And what did you think of Guptill, Anderson, Boult, Boam and Williamson?

Oh wait, you haven't seen them - that's the whole point of this thread. We're not talking about the now, as several others have said.

Try adding value to the discussion rather than trolling like a depressed Pakistani supporter who hopes that one day his team might play tests in their own country again.
You kiwis have a habbit of hyping up your upcoming stars, the way Ryder and Fulton were hyped up by some kiwis on this forum it seemed NZL had discovered Lara and Sachin at the same time and we all know how Fulton went.My advice is don't big up your young players before they had played any int cricket you might be in for a massive letdown. These lads are all unproven and they might turn out decent but the way NZL cricket goes there is a great chance that they may not be up challenge for the next step up.

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nah but what I'm saying is he would just be a short term solution and I would rather say a 25 year old who is just as good or maybe not quite as good and develope his leadership skills so he can mentor players that start at like 22 and then become major parts of the team but I see what your saying you could also go down the route of the journeyman would be just as wise but I believew you can only go down this route for Aussie's or Pom's an example is Michael Hussey of course who is already become a senior member of the Aus team despite only being in the team for about three years.