• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A purple patch for NZ cricket?

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
You kiwis have a habbit of hyping up your upcoming stars, the way Ryder and Fulton were hyped up by some kiwis on this forum it seemed NZL had discovered Lara and Sachin at the same time and we all know how Fulton went.My advice is don't big up your young players before they had played any int cricket you might be in for a massive letdown. These lads are all unproven and they might turn out decent but the way NZL cricket goes there is a great chance that they may not be up challenge for the next step up.
Ryder is a step above Fulton imo, Fultons a decent player but nothing special whereas Ryder has epic timing and a good eye and stuff the footwork it's worked for him so far, I mean he's averaged 45 in NZ conditions for a couple of years so that's got to say something about him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ryder is a step above Fulton imo, Fultons a decent player but nothing special whereas Ryder has epic timing and a good eye and stuff the footwork it's worked for him so far, I mean he's averaged 45 in NZ conditions for a couple of years so that's got to say something about him.
But he's got a lemon between his ears I doubt he will go on to have a good career with this sort of attitude no matter how talented he is.

Last edited:

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
But he's got a lemon between his ears I doubt he will go to have a good career with this sort of attitude no matter how talented he is.
Well I geuss time can change that, that's what I was talking about in regards to why I would prefer a younger man over a Fulton. Just look at what happened to Symonds when he 'grew a brain' against Pakistan in the WC'03.

Polo23

International Debutant
@ Xuhaib - you have absolutely no knowledge of the upcoming NZ talent, and from what I can see this thread is aimed at kiwi's, or people who have some sort of knowledge of the players talked about. Obviously you have 0 knowledge, so instead of being a troll why don't you stay out of things you know nothing about?

My XI is 5 years time:

Guptill
Worker
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
Southee
Boult

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look at the thread title where I am replying and it includes non-pakistani players aswell while we all know itduzz credibility.
Fair enough, but the fact that I was able to find those examples in just 5 minutes of searching would suggest that overhyping players is not something you guys are immune to. We all do it, and it's silly to deny it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fair enough, but the fact that I was able to find those examples in just 5 minutes of searching would suggest that overhyping players is not something you guys are immune to. We all do it, and it's silly to deny it.
my reply was to this post.
Originally Posted by completeNZer
Especially ****'s?
I thought using the word 'especially' was unfair.

GGG

State Captain
ill have a crack:

1. Jamie How
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Ross Taylor (C)
6. Corey Anderson
7. James Franklin
8. Brendon McCullam
9. Tim Southee
10.Daniel Vettori
11.Trent Boult

12th man. gun batting line-up with Vettori at 10 with still four genuine bowlers plus part-timers.Tipping Jamie How to cement a spot at the top this summer and to be a long term opener.

Will be interesting to look back on how close we get.
Yeah I like that team, would just switch McCullum and Franklin. Not to sure about How either, hopefully he will come good in the longer version.

Flem274*

123/5
You kiwis have a habbit of hyping up your upcoming stars, the way Ryder and Fulton were hyped up by some kiwis on this forum it seemed NZL had discovered Lara and Sachin at the same time and we all know how Fulton went.My advice is don't big up your young players before they had played any int cricket you might be in for a massive letdown. These lads are all unproven and they might turn out decent but the way NZL cricket goes there is a great chance that they may not be up challenge for the next step up.
A) no one ever hyped them up to Lara/Sachin level. All the next Lara and Sachins are in the subcontinent according to you lot Mr Xuhaib.

B) They are both class players. Fulton had a form slump becuase he got put at no.6 in ODIs and opened for like half of his short test career. Peter Fulton averages 5-7 more than Stephen Fleming in FC cricket, and before his form slump it was the Taylor-Fulton show when Fleming and Astle were in crap ODI form. Add the good record he has in ODIs and you're talking crap. Also, watch some of these players before making comment. No one is expecting the world bar a few (in particular I think Guptill will either be brilliant or a complete flop) but the fact is atm we do have the most promising youngsters we've had since, well probably the 1970-1980s when Hadlee, Crowe, Rutherford (who was ruined) and co. were running around.

EDIT: and Xuhaib, I'm disappointed at you. Generally you try and know something of the topic before you post, what brought this on? Has a Grapedo/Itduzz hybrid hijacked your profile?

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in particular I think Guptill will either be brilliant or a complete flop
I agree with this, and I think it might depend on how soon we bring him in. I think he needs a few years of excellent FC form behind him when he comes in to the NZ team, but with the lack of options available for openers at the moment I'm not sure he'll get that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
And what did you think of Guptill, Anderson, Boult, Boam and Williamson?

Oh wait, you haven't seen them - that's the whole point of this thread. We're not talking about the now, as several others have said.

Try adding value to the discussion rather than trolling like a depressed Pakistani supporter who hopes that one day his team might play tests in their own country again.
Voltman in fine fettle yesterday

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree with this, and I think it might depend on how soon we bring him in. I think he needs a few years of excellent FC form behind him when he comes in to the NZ team, but with the lack of options available for openers at the moment I'm not sure he'll get that.
He'll be in the team real soon, but why are people rating him so high I saw his innings in the OD final last year and it was brilliant and I picked him as a future blackcap since he first debuted but his First class record is very poor:

http//content-nz.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/226492.html

Polo23

International Debutant
He'll be in the team real soon, but why are people rating him so high I saw his innings in the OD final last year and it was brilliant and I picked him as a future blackcap since he first debuted but his First class record is very poor:

http//content-nz.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/226492.html
Yep, his FC stats aren't great but that's irrelevant for mine. While he hasnt got results in the longer form he has shown what he can do in One Dayers and on the A tour to India. I fully expect him to start producing big time in FC cricket...when he starts playing again.

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep, his FC stats aren't great but that's irrelevant for mine. While he hasnt got results in the longer form he has shown what he can do in One Dayers and on the A tour to India. I fully expect him to start producing big time in FC cricket...when he starts playing again.
Do you know how long he'll be? I heard he was out for 6 weeks about 2 weeks ago

And btw did you know he only has 2 toes in one foot?