• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sports stars treated too harshly?

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
I have heard many things about this latest Andrew Symonds debacle. So what do you guys think about a sports persons "debt" to society? I understand people think he has no freedoms but dont you think that comes with the profession? i mean he is making money because people are coming to watch his extravagent style. What do you guys think about this?

krkode

State Captain
I think a sportsperson does have some level of debt to society. But that is not with respect to his performance - that he owes first and foremost to himself. Because if he didn't perform, he wouldn't be there, he wouldn't be doing his job... Behavior is another issue, though and I don't think it's too much to ask for a basic level of decency or sportsmanship. Think of it like the Olympics... you are here representing your country, be it in swimming, running or in cricket. Be on your best behavior and leave a good impression, don't be a prick.

I think sometimes this "you owe us" ideology is taken too far, especially in India and Pakistan. Nobody's debt is so large that they deserve to have their pictures burnt by a mob in the street or their house stoned. That's just ridiculous.

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
I feel sorry for some of these sports people. Sure they are doing what i could only dream of but they are restricted. Symonds couldn't even have a few quiet drinks in the evening without being in an altercation, which wasn't even his fault. Incidences which wouldn't bat an eyelid for the average person is ultimately blown out of proportion for elite athletes.

I dont think they owe a debt to society. In fact, i think we owe them a debt. They provide us with the entertainment that sport provides us.

More young gifted sports persons are being driven away from proffesional sport as the pressure and not being able to have a life is not an attractive prospect.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't feel sorry at all. It's very telling that only some people manage to get themselves into repeated trouble.

For the intelligent ones, you never hear anything about. How many bar fights or altercations has Sachin Tendulkar gotten into? Adam Gilchrist? It's not an excuse. They take the money, they have to own up to the resposibilities.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
More young gifted sports persons are being driven away from proffesional sport as the pressure and not being able to have a life is not an attractive prospect.
I don't really agree with that at all to be honest.

And anyway, that's good. It would mean athletes who aren't willing to make sacrifices don't even try to make it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who knows? But, if he was minding his own business and a bloke came up and tried to hit him twice, he should be able to react like anyone else.

Also worth mentioning on this one that it happened at around 7 pm, not 7 am which makes a nice change from am number of the other sporting incidents.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A sports star has a responsibility to their board/national team, employers, sponsors, family and teammates.

They have zero responsibilities to the general public outside those linked with the above. I genuinely feel sorry for people that look upto sports stars for being things they are not.

They are just dudes that hit/kick/throw a ball for a living and are well paid because we enjoy watching it. Nothing more.

pasag

RTDAS
On a slightly OT note, I don't feel sorry for sportsmen who milk their image for everything it's worth and get their face plastered on every TV ad and billboard who then go and complain about a lack of privacy and not being able to live like a normal person.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On a slightly OT note, I don't feel sorry for sportsmen who milk their image for everything it's worth and get their face plastered on every TV ad and billboard who then go and complain about a lack of privacy and not being able to live like a normal person.
AWTA

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a point I think is relevant in the case with Symonds.

Also, very important is whether his teammates and management think he behaves well, not whether the media do. This whole thing would be best resolved, to me, by a statement of support for his general behaviour from Cricket Australia.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The sportsman has has a responsibility to the company that endorses him and pays him for the use of his image but not to the fools that by a product because of who endorses it.

Endorsements are an athlete selling a service to a business or company for money. They are not selling their soul or rights to their privacy.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
The sportsman has has a responsibility to the company that endorses him and pays him for the use of his image but not to the fools that by a product because of who endorses it.

Endorsements are an athlete selling a service to a business or company for money. They are not selling their soul or rights to their privacy.
He is giving his consent for his image to be used publicly, not only that but he is profiting from it as well. You can't then turn around and complain to me that this very same exposure that you've profited from is now inconveniencing you. The profit comes hand in hand with this and is the logical trade off. Obviously I'm only talking about lower level invasions of personal space here like the inability to walk to the milk bar free of hastle or have a beer in the pub without anyone bugging you.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Brett Lee.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I heard from one of my mate that Lee has blamed media intrusion and lack of privacy as one of the things that effected his marriage so that was the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post.

howardj

International Coach
A sports star has a responsibility to their board/national team, employers, sponsors, family and teammates.

They have zero responsibilities to the general public outside those linked with the above. I genuinely feel sorry for people that look upto sports stars for being things they are not.

They are just dudes that hit/kick/throw a ball for a living and are well paid because we enjoy watching it. Nothing more.
AWTA

Absolute joke contracting out your own parental responsibilities to 'role model' sports stars. Sports stars are role models for how to kick and hit a ball - nothing more or less. That said, if they break the law or are a disruptive influence in their team, then of course they should wear the consequences. See, I think Symonds should be sacked tomorrow because he is a disruptive influence on the team and at 33 he is not worth it; not because he gets drunk or sets a bad example.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair point.

There's an incredibly successful footballer (of the round ball variety) who has played his entire career for Manchester United but who has never shilled and has largely remained out of the spotlight, when his (arguably less gifted) exact contemporary David Beckham has lent his image to pretty much everthing & is (possibly) the best known athlete in the world.

Paul Scholes.

I bet the name doesn't register with non-football fans.