• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bracewell's replacement as NZ coach

James

Cricket Web Owner
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10544878

New Zealand Cricket will have to relaunch its search for a new Black Caps coach after favoured applicant Matthew Mott opted to re-sign with New South Wales for another two years.

Mott, 35, was widely known to be NZC's preferred candidate since the withdrawals of South Africans Graham Ford and Mickey Arthur narrowed the shortlist to three: Mott, Northern Districts' Andy Moles and national under-19 coach Dipak Patel. Moles appears to be next in line.
Don't know much about Moles at all, but I see from his Wikipedia profile that his coaching career is previously with Griqualand West, and then national coach of Kenya and Scotland.

Would have thought someone with more experience was needed but if those are the only coaches applying, I guess they don't have much choice :mellow:

Flem274*

123/5
Andy Moles I remember did a radio interview before the England tour on NZ selection. He roundly degraded anyone who wasn't from ND and pushed Flynn and Marshall as the greatest things since sliced bread. I doubt he'd continue on the same path as NZ coach but if he does then get used to James Marshall I reckon.

What amuses me is NDs issues are generally batting problems, so I guess he'd feel right at home in charge of NZ.

Would havep preffered the Canterbury guy, coached a bunch of youngsters to the title last year. We could do with him atm.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Seems like a slightly left-field selection, which either backfires or pays off. Could be worth a go, and hopefully won't be as bad as Bracewell in Tests (I think Bracewell deserves a bit of credit for our relatively good ODI successes, since he seemed to put 100% of the attention to that format...).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, never would've thought he was going to end-up coach of a serious international power. Certainly not this soon.

Know not-that-much about the guy, mind - just that he was a pretty decent opening batsman slightly before my time, and that he's done some coaching. I would say "our resident Warwickshire fan to elaborate" but we'd just get the usual "Moles is the best coach ever, except Bob Woolmer".

Athlai

Not Terrible
Farewell Bracers been an up and down relationship. You led our team to becoming a very talented ODI squad.

Hopefully over Moles reign we will see our Test squad rise once more.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Glad that Bracewell is gone as early as next week, but if Moles' ridiculously biased, Leslie1-esque outbursts last season are anything to go by, we're in for another ****house few years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I really hope not. :sleep: I mean if he doesn't drop Flynn... fine. If he brings in Marshall assassins will be hired.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Andy Moles I remember did a radio interview before the England tour on NZ selection. He roundly degraded anyone who wasn't from ND and pushed Flynn and Marshall as the greatest things since sliced bread. I doubt he'd continue on the same path as NZ coach but if he does then get used to James Marshall I reckon.

What amuses me is NDs issues are generally batting problems, so I guess he'd feel right at home in charge of NZ.

Would havep preffered the Canterbury guy, coached a bunch of youngsters to the title last year. We could do with him atm.
Remember his brief stint in charge of Kenya was a less than happy on although most animosity was towards the board he was not exactly friends with everyone. On the flip side he did uncover one or two talents while he was around

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
I guess a big question is, will Vettori stay as captain?
Said on the new's that they had a GREAT captain and a very good but inexperienced team and he would never say they were inexperienced again because 'he's not going to make any excuses' interesting...

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Sounds like Moles was 4th choice behind the 2 South African guys and Mott from NSW.Hope he does better with the media etc than Bracewell. Always nice for you and everyone else to know that you weren't first choice or even second choice.

Surpirsed Bracewell is departing so quickly.