• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
There could easily be a draw if this week's weather is any indication of what things will be like next month. I predict 1-0 to the windies with Chanderpaul being the difference between the sides.
How long before Bangladesh are winning 1-0 against us Bahnz? :p

Woodster

International Captain
I think this will be a very close series. Been pretty impressed by the West Indies in recent series, in terms of showing signs of becoming competitive again. The bowling attack looks half decent, while the experience of the likes of Gayle, Sarwan, and Chanderpaul may well be the difference in this series.

No quality spinner again though, I see Benn has been included, and will cause one of two moments of anxiety in the NZ batting line-up (should he play) but more with his bounce than any sharp spin.

Polo23

International Debutant
It's a shame we don't have Bond still to terrorise Gayle again. Remember the last West Indian tour to NZ? Bond had Gayle on toast in the tests and ODI's, it was classic.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't wait TBH.

I'd go with

How
XXX Redmond/Bell/Papps/Cumming/Guptill
Ryder
Taylor
Flynn
Franklin/Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Martin/Franklin

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait TBH.

I'd go with

How
XXX Redmond/Bell/Papps/Cumming/Guptill
Ryder
Taylor
Flynn
Franklin/Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Martin/Franklin
Disposing of Peter Fulton already? Hes only been back for one test, and although it wasn't his best, he certainly deserves another opportunity at home. I can't imagine too many changes from the Adelaide test to be honest. If Franklin isn't able to play a full role with the ball, I doubt Moles will select him just yet. Potentially Mills to play over one of the three quicks that played in Australia but otherwise I can't see too many other changes being made.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Disposing of Peter Fulton already? Hes only been back for one test, and although it wasn't his best, he certainly deserves another opportunity at home. I can't imagine too many changes from the Adelaide test to be honest. If Franklin isn't able to play a full role with the ball, I doubt Moles will select him just yet. Potentially Mills to play over one of the three quicks that played in Australia but otherwise I can't see too many other changes being made.
I actually put Fulton in the team at first but I think if we have a fit Franklin or Oram they should go in first. I had Fulton still in with them and realised I was playing McCullum at 9 or so. Whoops.

Polo23

International Debutant
I don't see how Franklin won't be able to play a full role with the ball. He is bowling probably the most overs for Wellington atm. He should play.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd go with the following. You don't need to play Fulton given the batting depth with Franklin and Oram returning.

How
Bell
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd go with the following. You don't need to play Fulton given the batting depth with Franklin and Oram returning.

How
Bell
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin
I think we should play Southee against the West Indies, think he should experience being in a winning team. :laugh: O'Brien and Martin are very similar for me and I think we should bowl just the one. O'Brien.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think we should play Southee against the West Indies, think he should experience being in a winning team. :laugh: O'Brien and Martin are very similar for me and I think we should bowl just the one. O'Brien.
Tend to think Southee needs a break personally and that he falls away a lot after his first spell of the day. Send him back to first class cricket for a little while would be my call. He's definitely one for the future and needs looks after at this stage I'd say.

Bell has been the form opener of the season to date and has earnt another shot IMO. Bit unfair on Redmond though given his 80 odd. Should How even keep his spot, and we go with Redmond and Bell at the top of the order? Even open with Fulton?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fulton failed badly opening last time so I'd be reluctant to try that again. A lot of experts (and so-called experts) have said Flynn looks to have the technique to open.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fulton failed badly opening last time so I'd be reluctant to try that again. A lot of experts (and so-called experts) have said Flynn looks to have the technique to open.
I think the only reason we tried Fulton opening in test matches was because he'd performed well in that position at the World Cup a few months prior - and because at the time we had few other options. Its also probably a bit unfair to say he failed opening, given no matter who we've tried to open with has been all but eaten alive by South Africans at home in the last few years.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Redmond probably played his best innings at the wrong time as it makes it hard for him to be dropped without question. if you look at the match by match performances of him in comparison to How, they've both had incredibly similar career starts - though How was dropped and recalled where Redmond has had it in a block.

While How probably is the better batsman, can't feel something shouldn't be done in regards to him, whether it be dropped and told to make runs or get some intensive training because since England he's been pretty poor, and when you consider Redmond outscored him (nearly double IIRC) over all the Australian Tests, seems a bit harsh to drop him and give How more chances.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tend to think Southee needs a break personally and that he falls away a lot after his first spell of the day. Send him back to first class cricket for a little while would be my call. He's definitely one for the future and needs looks after at this stage I'd say.

Bell has been the form opener of the season to date and has earnt another shot IMO. Bit unfair on Redmond though given his 80 odd. Should How even keep his spot, and we go with Redmond and Bell at the top of the order? Even open with Fulton?
Tend to agree with your comments about Southee - I think he'd benefit back in the less pressurised surroundings of domestic cricket for a few games before the ODI series against the West Indies.

As for the opening situation, I think Redmond did enough in the final test at Adelaide to maintain his position for the series. I think dropping Bell was too hasty after he impressed at Napier in his most recent test match and wouldn't like to see exactly the same situation with regards to Redmond.

Athlai

Not Terrible

How did score 170 against an attack better than any NZ domestic one just recently so I think he shouldn't be moved.

Southee should get at least one game against the West Indies but I think he shouldn't play more than 2.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think the only reason we tried Fulton opening in test matches was because he'd performed well in that position at the World Cup a few months prior - and because at the time we had few other options. Its also probably a bit unfair to say he failed opening, given no matter who we've tried to open with has been all but eaten alive by South Africans at home in the last few years.
Fulton opening was before the World Cup - against South Africa in 2006.

He did okay in his first few tests versus, funnily enough, the West Indies (didn't get a chance to bat in the third Test). He was in pretty good form around that time, but then he was asked to open in South Africa for the first two Tests, then picked up a back injury and didn't play again until the Bangladesh Tests and ODIs when he was horribly out of form.

He's had quite a bit of bad luck and screwing over by the selectors. he has the skill, class, temperament and experience, he simply lacks the form.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting stat - in matches between the two, WI have won 10 and NZ 9, with 16 draws.