• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Haddin Be Dropped

grapedo

Banned
I feel they have and that he should be dropped immedieatly if he cannot perform in the second test against new zealand. Otherwise it will proide a weak link for the south africans to target.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Give him the summer I say. The bloke has been churning the runs out for so long, I don't think the amount of tests he has played would be enough to say he should be dropped. I know it is a cliche, but he is due to score some runs. In addition to this, there is a big drop in standards behind him. If you are a regular reader of the Aus. Domestic Season thread, those who support or at least keep an eye on the domestic scene say that Ronchi should be dropped from the WA team.

grapedo

Banned
Give him the summer I say. The bloke has been churning the runs out for so long, I don't think the amount of tests he has played would be enough to say he should be dropped. I know it is a cliche, but he is due to score some runs. In addition to this, there is a big drop in standards behind him. If you are a regular reader of the Aus. Domestic Season thread, those who support or at least keep an eye on the domestic scene say that Ronchi should be dropped from the WA team.
Really ? I am Australian but don't follow the domestic stuff too much it just bores me to watch a game.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
What about someone like Tim Payne. Ronchi wouldn't cut it in the international scene at the moment.
I wouldn't really know. I hear about bowlers and batsmen who could be an addition to the Australian all the time; Hodge, North, D. Hussey, Hughes, Magoffin, Siddle, Geeves etc etc. I'm sure you hear these names all the time, but you rarely hear the names of keepers being thrown around do you?

FTR, its Paine.

grapedo

Banned
I wouldn't really know. I hear about bowlers and batsmen who could be an addition to the Australian all the time; Hodge, North, D. Hussey, Hughes, Magoffin, Siddle, Geeves etc etc. I'm sure you hear these names all the time, but you rarely hear the names of keepers being thrown around do you?

FTR, its Paine.
yeah you don't but you will once they have had enough of Haddin.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Give Haddin some time to find his feet, with Haddin he's doing poorly if he averages 28-30 at test level, anyone else below him (Manou, Hartley, Ronchi, Paine) would be going well if they average that.

grapedo

Banned
Give Haddin some time to find his feet, with Haddin he's doing poorly if he averages 28-30 at test level, anyone else below him (Manou, Hartley, Ronchi, Paine) would be going well if they average that.
Yeah but Haddin's average latley hasn't been that he wouldn't even average over 20 lately. In India he let more runs through than byes. So if these guys are going to do a better job than Haddin then obviously there needs to be a change made.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
yeah you don't but you will once they have had enough of Haddin.
If his replacement aren't adequete, is there reason to replace him then? Haddin was always going to replace Gilchrist and there was never a hint of anyone jumping ahead. No one talks about any other keeper, bar Ronchi, and as I said before, he isn't the best candidate going around.

So you got a situation where keepers for the States aren't doing anything to have their names heard, and the possible best candidate is struggling to be in his FC team.

28-30 isn't bad. A combination of Haddin filling in for Gilly - 50 average and Haddin's own FC record isn't gonig in his favour. I think his FC average is around 44. Boucher, McCullum, G. Jones, Dhoni and others average around the same.

Simon

You only have to look at the averages from last season to see how far ahead Haddin is:

Haddin 54.33
Ronchi 40.36
Manou 37.25
Paine 34.60
Wade 27.91
Hartley 23.26

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haddin's position would be under threat right now if there was actually anyone close to his quality below him.

He could get six consecutive ducks from here on and drop the odd catch, and I'd still have more faith in him as a keeper/batsman at Test level than Ronchi.

Any calls for Haddin's head right now show complete ignorance of the current depth in the position IMO - he may not be great but he's certainly the best we have at the current time. I agree with Smitty that Paine's the next best but he really hasn't done a lot at all with the bat at First Class level yet and he's only started keeping full-time at that level in the last season and a half.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yep, and Manou's season last year was propped up by the one big score he got in the first match. Aside from that, was lean pickings. His batting is so impulsive, Ronchi is a drooling diazepam abuser in comparison.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's averaging around 26, only difference being he's doing it in Test cricket, including 4 matches in India (Actually, only 1 match has been on home soil)